[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The American Dream™ What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 67

File: 1489830773736.jpg (1MB, 2000x1490px) Image search: [Google]
1489830773736.jpg
1MB, 2000x1490px
>The American Dream™

What went wrong?
>>
I can't stand the shit that suburban housing gets for being 'cookie-cutter'.

Thinking that creativity and uniqueness is somehow expressed through the architecture of your home makes as much sense as the belief that you can appear creative and unique by dying your hair pink and getting tattoos.

It's quite the opposite.

These are all superficial things, any attempt at portraying excellence through them is a desperate attempt to hide the fact that you're boring as fuck.

How do you know that those houses aren't occupied by great thinkers and enlightened individuals?

Don't get me wrong the suburbs are basically a place where people to go to die, intellectually, but it's not because of the architecture.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with that given what the alternatives are when it comes to mass, cheap housing.
>>
>What went wrong?
it came true
>>
>>2525623
HOAs. Non-HOA suburbs are fantastic.
>>
>>2525623
>tfw Phoenix
>>
>>2525623
American cities are the inverse of most European cities; the wealthy and middle class live in suburbs and the poor and working class live in the inner cities.
Thus why you get countless rows of pretty large, well-heeled and expensive homes surrounding rather poor, dangerous and ugly big cities with outdated infrastructure and neglected architecture.
Also race.
>>
>>2525698
It used to be the other way around though, inner cities used to be where rich people lived. Automobile boom changed that.
>>
>>2525698

Interesting point, but not always true.

Before cars became the main mode of transportation, traveling more than a couple of miles was expensive, so only the rich could afford to live outside of the city.

Then cars became affordable and the tables turned -- poor people started moving out to suburbs where housing was cheap because land was cheap, while the rich started paying more to move back into the city to be closer to everything.

In most large cities, whether you're in America or Europe (New York or London) this is still the case.

So the following statements aren't exclusive to either continent.

>the wealthy and middle class live in suburbs
>poor and working class live in the inner cities

These are simply true for smaller cities or cities with a dying central business district.
>>
>>2525731
NYC is literally the only city where this happened. Everywhere else the inner city is a ghetto.
>>
>>2525698
>American cities are the inverse of most European cities; the wealthy and middle class live in suburbs and the poor and working class live in the inner cities.

That hasn't been true in 20 years.
>>
File: IMG_3032.jpg (79KB, 600x648px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3032.jpg
79KB, 600x648px
>>2525706

In addition to the change of housing laws, the creation of the skyscraper, lack of protections for historical structures until the 60s, highway construction and desegregation.
American cities used to be relatively world class.
>>
>>2525640
>I can't stand the shit that suburban housing gets for being 'cookie-cutter'.

It's boring and ugly. But that's only like the 8th biggest problem with developments like this.
>>
>>2525776
Ever been outside NYC faggot? Because it's true with Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville, Memphis, Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, Jacksonville, Milwaukee, Denver, Phoenix, LA, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas and probably some others I forgot about.
>>
>>2525640
I don't mind the blandness of suburbia but it pisses me off that it's all one or two story houses. I live in Sun Valley and there's literally no skyscrapers or high rises, it looks like a small town except with 4.5 million people. Surreal shit.
>>
>>2525644
You're looking at it
>>
>>2525640
An interesting phenomena are luxurious houses in poor eastern European villages. They're generally built by people who live and work in Germany/Austria/Switzerland etc.
>>
File: european buildings.jpg (98KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
european buildings.jpg
98KB, 600x450px
>>2525805
Why the fuck would you want skyscrapers? Skyscraper towns are even more awful and dystopic than US suburbs.

There's something in-between the inhuman efficiency of a town made out of giant concrete/glass/steel towers and the absurdity and artificial isolation of the two-story house american suburban sprawl, where you need to hop in a car every time you need to shop for groceries.

European midrisings are to me the perfect compromise to decent-looking urban envirioments. Middle america should have gone with more of these in their large cities instead of the cookie-cutter housing units.
>>
>>2525956
No thanks. Living in a separate building is always better than living in an apartment.
>>
>>2525658
shit at first I thought this was a before/after comparison
>>
>>2525984
That is true, but apartments are much more cost-efficient. If the USA hadn't wasted its immense wealth for pointless luxury for one or two generations it could be a much, much better place in the future.
>>
>>2525984
Buy land or live in a rural town/village then. American endless suburban wastelands are an abomination.
>>
>>2525984

Your suburban houses are built side by side, and there is always some fuckhead with a landmower or leafblower somewhere
>>
>>2526013
Rural wastelands are even worse, enjoy your alcoholism, welfare, and heroin addiction
>>
File: milan3.jpg (233KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
milan3.jpg
233KB, 1024x576px
>>2525623
I'd rather live there that in the typical fugly European suburbs
>>
>>2525984
>Living in a separate building is always better than living in an apartment.

Why do you think so?
>>
File: Milano-Famagosta-web-1-630x300.jpg (64KB, 630x300px) Image search: [Google]
Milano-Famagosta-web-1-630x300.jpg
64KB, 630x300px
>>2526178
So beautiful...
>>
>>2525623
What went wrong?
What exactly was the plan again?
>>
>>2525984
While this is true, I simply don't like burbs. They seem to be ratholes where the kids end up spoiled degenerate drug addicts, the wives a neurotic, adulterous mess, and the husbands fat, piddly idiots who think they know how to use power tools.
>>
>>2525623
Why don't they have fences?
>>
>>2526052
Not sure where the hell you live but here rural life is pretty damn fantastic. I'm surrounded by good christian whites, nice families, beautiful lawns and gardens. The odd kid goes bad but they move to the cities as soon as they can anyways.
>>
>>2526250
Rural towns are dying in America because all the kids are moving to the cities. Because you know, that's where the jobs are.
>>
>>2525640
>How do you know that those houses aren't occupied by great thinkers and enlightened individuals?
They're American houses, aren't they?
>>
Europe and Asia recovered from ww2 and started competing with the USA again.

Incompetent US government thinks the only way to make things affordable is to enable people to spend more money.
>>
>>2525640
If anything living in a different house, just like dying or tattoos is the first step to being unique desu. Bare minimum desu
>>
>>2525623
They only have a walkway on one side? Looks like hell to get trough without a car.
>>
>>2525623
Read a book called "Henry and the Great Society".
>>
File: download (41).jpg (10KB, 179x282px) Image search: [Google]
download (41).jpg
10KB, 179x282px
>>2526343
>>
>>2525956
Skyscrapers would look fantastic in this desert landscape.
>>
File: hollwood_cars_scrap.gif (571KB, 1366x852px) Image search: [Google]
hollwood_cars_scrap.gif
571KB, 1366x852px
>>2525623
>>
File: Boston street.png (946KB, 790x732px) Image search: [Google]
Boston street.png
946KB, 790x732px
>>2526301
>Looks like hell to get trough without a car.
And therein lies the problem.

The automobile. American architecture and city planning has been built around accommodating the automobile.

Compare pic related, wherein the street has been designed to be walked upon, and everything is built with a person at eye level in mind...
>>
File: mid western town.jpg (347KB, 1300x958px) Image search: [Google]
mid western town.jpg
347KB, 1300x958px
>>2526575
...With this picture of Richmond, OH.

It's not that the buildings are bad, it's that everything was designed with cars in mind. Everything is scaled such that you can see it from a car, and everything is designed to accommodate people who are arriving/traveling by car. That, and it's Ohio, but that's not the point.
>>
>>2526579
I get what you're trying to say, but as per Wikipedia...

>Richmond was laid out in 1815

I was under the impression that these small Midwestern towns always looked like that, the difference is back then you'd have a railroad or interurban line running through.

The fact that the town in your pic actually has sidewalks already puts it at an advantage over some of the post-war towns you see around these parts.

The phenomenon you're describing does exist, I just don't think your picture is the best representation of it. The sort of "bland" and utilitarian look (I personally enjoy it, but that's likely personal/nostalgic bias) of that town is the result of those buildings having been built by/for early-20th Century farmers.

t. Midwesterner
>>
File: norilsk.jpg (241KB, 940x653px) Image search: [Google]
norilsk.jpg
241KB, 940x653px
>>2525623
Capitalism is what things go awry. You want to live the Soviet dream, dont you, comrade?
>>
>>2525640
>How do you know that those houses aren't occupied by great thinkers and enlightened individuals?

Because they're occupied by Americans who aspired to live in those suburbia to begin with.
>>
>>2525698
Gentrification is changing this. Now most low income people have to commute to work in the cities. Where I live teachers can't afford to live where they work so theres been a shortage of teachers in some places.
>>
>>2526702
It ain't changing shit the city scum isn't moving out to the suburbs or innawoods ever
>>
>>2526613
I agree completely, the picture doesn't do it justice. Frankly, I just googled "Midwestern town" and got that.

Here's a video that talks about the phenomenon and more importantly gives an image that shows the phenomenon in question.

https://youtu.be/F6jFnOnjzrk?list=PL1E6FE64DFFDA1DBD&t=99

For those unfamiliar with the Midwest (I'm a Michigander myself), notice how even though there's areas where people CAN walk, the buildings are explicitly built to cater to the needs of car drivers.
>>
>>2526702
Yet another Jew York / San Fagcisco retard thinking the rest of America is like his city
>>
>>2526739
>I'm a Michigander
My condolences
>>
File: you know what i'm talking about.jpg (154KB, 760x600px) Image search: [Google]
you know what i'm talking about.jpg
154KB, 760x600px
>>2525623
We used to live in these grand old cities, like Detroit.

I wonder what happened...
>>
>>2526763
Even if you factor out the niggers, it wouldn't last.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD47xo3c7WU

The model itself is unsustainable.
>>
>>2526763
Detroit was a retarded city that put all its eggs in one basket, complete lack of diversified economy. The niggers were only a final nail to the coffin.
>>
>>2526268
>>2526660
spitting that hot fire
>>
>>2525984
you do know that housing in the pic most of time isn't an appartment but a single mansion
>>
>>2526268
>>2526660
>haha america dumb europe smart
Really, we need to question the intelligence of people who still continue to spout this dead meme
>>
>>2525658
The amount of water thats being used to keep all that greenery alive...

Pure decadence desu
>>
>>2526992
Honestly those are all desert friendly trees. It's those faggot golf courses that waste water like a motherfucker.
>>
>>2526579
>Ohio
I feel depressed already
>>
File: 1481854854094.gif (16KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1481854854094.gif
16KB, 645x773px
>>2526962
Its just them compensating for their inferiority complex
>>
>>2525623
Theres nothing wrong with suburbs. Its a clean safe place to raise your children around like-minded people.

All these edgy teens thinking you have to live in an apartment in New York to be cool
>>
What is wrong with safe and clean housing
>>
>>2526579
that looks pretty comfy to me
>>
>>2525956
I think skyscrapers are pretty cool, it's a giant ass tower build of glass and steel, some of which hold more people than the entire population of the city I grew up in. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd hate to have to report to one every day for work, but driving through Houston or New York's more businessy districts is something neat.

Still though, I prefer to live out in the country away from people. I could see how it'd be horrible to have to live among those structures every day until you die if you were a city guy.
>>
>>2527110
It's because people on this board are young. They don't have families or wives yet, and they don't need the extra space a suburban house provides. They forgo that space to be close to luxury consumer goods and services, to maximize socioeconomic mobility and work opportunities, and to expand their social networks. Once you have kids and your lifestyle because much more predictable and stable, it is worth moving out to the suburbs. I don't know why this is so hard to grasp for 4channers. Didn't you guys go to college, get a job, and meet a woman already?
>>
>>2525796
>Denver

nope...most of the poors live in shitty suburbs like Aurora, Federal Heights, or Commerce City.
>>
>>2527209
I might be moving to Denver later this year, redpill me on the suburbs there because housing prices are ridic.
>>
>>2526579
I don't know if it's a result of growing up in a similar place, but I think that picture looks pretty damn beautiful. Wide open spaces, simple wooden houses, occasional station or shop, looks great to me.

>>2526575
This also looks interesting, but somewhat constrained. I could see myself admiring the beauty of the area, but never living in such a cramped location.
>>
>>2526230
>I think The Simpsons and Family Guy are documentaries
>>
>>2527110
I'm a lifelong suburbanite. I love the suburbs and hope I can live in a nice one someday with my family. But that doesn't mean that there aren't problems with many of them. Very many are ugly and tasteless.

Basically, you can criticize many common negative features of suburbs without being against the concept itself.
>>
>>2527122
That's because you've probably never lived in a shitty small town in the middle of nowhere, a hundred miles from anywhere someone from out of state has even heard of.

Imagine growing up in a town that lives and dies on the traffic that passes through it, and the farmers who buy goods from its stores and call on its doctors/vets. Every day you come home from your white-as-popcorn high school from the bus. There's nothing to do when you get home except shitpost on 4chan or do mindless normie shit. To keep yourself occupied, you try to play high school football but you're not really that good and your dad expresses his disappointment in you, chiding you on why you can't be like your older brother Joel. Be a man's man! Work on cars like you think that shit is interesting! You work for Mr. Daughterty at his gas station three nights a week.

Your friends wear Under Armour and Army Strong apparel every fucking day. Their idea of a fun time is to shoot at rocks with their .22s, drink cans of beer their older brother Dan got for them, and do dumb Jackass or Fight Club type of bullshit. Out of 10, about 5 of them will never leave this town. They will grow up to mechanics, shopkeepers, assorted tradesman, cars salesmen. 1 will get hooked onto oxies or heroin or meth and become a junkie who will disappear from civilized society and live in the shadow realm of drug addicts, living under bridges and shacks in the woods. 2 will join the Army or other branch of the armed forces because they realize they want to do something more than chase high school poon or hit on the waiter at IHOP or Denny's, drinking beer at the same bar with the same people every night for the next 30 years. The other 2 will go to a state university and move to a city, and they'll come back once every five years for important family functions, but you can see in their face that they can't bear the thought of living here again.
>>
>>2526616
Russia outside of Moscow and St Petersburg honestly sounds like the worst place on earth
>>
>>2527110
I'm from Toronto where the housing is largely mixed. I live in a comfy suburban-style home but there are 20 story condos not far from where I live, and I don't need to take a car across the street. Yes suburbia is good if you want to live a stable life, but there are ways to construct a suburbia without it just being endless miles of the same house with the occasional plaza.
>>
>>2527303
This mostly seems like a you problem.
>>
>>2527303
>There's nothing to do when you get home except shitpost on 4chan
Sounds like you're just boring desu
>>
>>2525640
It's fucking boring, there's no soul, there's a single house created over and over, no culture, no architectual interest, just the same 4 fucking designs repeated over and over, there's a house on my street that has a single huge circular window in the attic, and it's fucking majestic, i was walking by it with a friend and he called it dumb, variation creates interest, variation is a good part of the market, because it caters to indivduals who all want to live in different places, this cookie cutter garbage doesn't effectively meet the needs of the consumer beyond "I want a house". I want a house with a fucking majestic circular window, and knowing that it's possible my grandchildren will never be able to see a house like that being built in their lifetime makes me fucking angry.
>>
I live in something like this suburb from OP... but in walled version in a shitty country. As long as the place is clean, safe and neighboors are FINE (not drug sellers, thieves, criminals or assholes) then you are already living in heaven. Architecture is nice, designing your house is nice but you don't actually need to create one by yourself.
Learn CAD and design all the house in your dreams using any CAD + Blender to render. You fulfill your dreams by much much cheaper price.
Any place improves 100% if you have plants. If the house are all the same, then be creative in the front yard to differentiate.
>>
>>2527344
>Learn CAD and design all the house in your dreams using any CAD + Blender to render.
Why the fuck would you do that? The average person (myself included) has no idea how to design a good house.

The idea is to have a professional architect to design a good house for you.
>>
>>2526575
Are you trying to imply we should aim for your pic?

Are you actually retarded?
>everyone can afford a 500k CONDO.
Seriously, consider suicide.
>>
>>2527303

(cont.)
There's nothing to do in a fucking small town. It's shit. If you stay, your best prospect is that you become Salesman of the Year at the car/tractor dealership (the town's not big enough for both), own a gas station or some other retail bullshit, driving long hauls, or become a mechanic or machinist. There's no opportunities out there.

And the people. Everyone has the same small-town attitude, doing the same piddly small-town shit. You know everybody and everybody knows you. There are no secrets in a small town. After a while, gossip is all that people can manage to talk about and its fucking infuriating. You know several people who are unironically white supremacists Trump supporters, foaming at the mouth about Mexicans when the town is basically 96% white with the exception of the family that runs the Chinese joint. Most people are good people, but they are unbelievably ignorant about the wider world out there.

And the economy always feels like it's in a state of constant decline. Money is always tight and it seems to get tighter every year as the town population shrinks.

It's not a place for a young person with dreams of being something more than what his father was.
>>
>>2527344
>>2527357
>CAD + Blender
>not The Sims
You know this is a humanities board right
>>
>>2527363
Northeast and San Francisco should just be abandoned. Those prices are fucking absurd.
>>
>>2526292
>dying or tattoos is the first step to being unique desu

lmao
>>
The dream that anyone can afford a nice house With a yard, car and have it all relatively close to work? Seems fulfilled. I don't like how it looks all cramped, but then again, everyone wants to live close to town, and not everyone can afford or have enough room near the good spots. That's just life.
>>
File: JUST.png (161KB, 645x291px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
161KB, 645x291px
>>2527381
Housing is just fucked everywhere in the first world.
>>
>>2527401
But wouldn't you want to have that, but also a nice-looking house that wasn't bland and looked like everyone else's?
>>
>>2527303
Stop making excuses. I'm dealing with african tier people on a daily basis, know theres a 99% chance of them not understanding or accepting my propostions but I don't give up on trying to offer projects to help and improve the community.
Is it like those people who complain about the big city being too impersonal and feeling like theres no sense of community then you ask what they do for the community and they do nothing. They just sit in the couch all day hoping that someone invites them to celebrate something in a group.

If you don't generate value to the community why you expect them to like you and give value to you?

I'm going to "top" college in my country and as soon as I finish I want to go back to my small city in the middle of nowhere and grind with dumbfags until I die. 90% of the population of this country why leave as soon as possible to USA or Europe to have better living standards. I agree that you have much much better living standards there but instead of being a pussy I want to stay here and work until I die to improve the life of my friends and my community. Will I accomplish this? Probably not but I don't want to spend my days in another way.
>>
>>2527381
They're not for middle class people. These types of places are bought by young Bostonian professionals who work for big money institutions or firms, like BCG, Bain, HBS, or Nixon Peabody. Working and lower class people are being pushed out to the outskirts like no tomorrow by yuppies who want to be close to work and Starbucks.
>>
File: Shed.png (584KB, 682x602px) Image search: [Google]
Shed.png
584KB, 682x602px
>>2527406
That's not the photo I wanted.
>>
>>2527406
No, just go anywhere that isn't the Northeast or Cali. Even if you avoid the absolute shitholes (Detroit, Cleveland etc) you can be left with plenty of nice and affordable places like Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Nashville, Dallas, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Omaha, Columbus, Minneapolis, Phoenix, San Antonio, Grand Rapids, Tulsa, Knoxville etc. Even Los Angeles is MUCH cheaper than SF.
>>
>>2527448
Literally not an argument.

500k for the cheapest piece of real estate is not cheap real estate, cheap real estate is in the realm of 100-200k. Half a million for a small-ish house is not good real estate, just because, as you imply, there are way more expensive alternatives.
>>
>>2527448
You're wrong about Texas. The Metroplex Area is fucking booming and prices are climbing to the sun. Virginia is almost as bad as the rest of the Northeast, especially near the coast.
Everywhere else you named will likely never become a global city.
>>
>>2527455
>500k for the cheapest piece of real estate is not cheap real estate
And I'm fucking telling you you won't pay 500k for the cheapest real estate in most of America. You can get a nice two story house in the suburbs of Phoenix for like 90k.
>>
>>2527456
>global city
Who cares about living in a global city? Some of the biggest shitholes in the world are global cities. I care about living in a nice city.
>>
>>2527416
I think that's very noble of you anon. Brain drain can be a real problem
>>
>>2525623
>Commie blocks
Is this what the banks do with houses now?
Who the fuck needs a house that big?
>>
>>2527467
>Who the fuck needs a house that big?
No one, that's the problem.

Have you ever been inside a house like that? It feels like it's 80% empty space.
>>
>>2527376
kek, forgot that. They conditioned me so hard in engineering school that I'm almost a robot now.

>>2527372
>no opportunities
Maybe you just unable to see it. For example I'm truly blessed to attend one of the best colleges in this shitty country. I have the potential to leave this shit back in 10 years and move to Europe (like all my friends gonna kill to do this). I could move to the biggest city in the country and live like a king, a real king walled in a castle while the peasant kill each other outside the walls. Instead I want to go back to my family in middle of nowhere to help them, my closest friends and the city. Of course everyone calls me crazy because I'll end up poor as fuck with a top degree but these things are like religion and you need to feel them, not understand.
Will I ever be bored on without opportunities? Of course not. Today you have books and internet. Having too much free time? Dedicate the time to writing and reading (they consume a fuckton of time). This way you really learn instead of pretending to have learned.
You can try to help people near you, if they refuse help then you can help the environment or even participate in social science via internet.
Boring places are the perfect places to do a lot of activities.

Also
>dumbfags running business = opportunity to get a portion of the market, easily.
>>
>>2526178
The difference is, that an apartment in one of those costs maybe 1/3rd of what a person makes working for minimum wage, whereas in most US cities many adults have to cohabitate or live with their parents.

Also, you are 10 minutes from the next shopping, past time activity, job and service if you live in one of those commie blocks.

I agree that living in a house has advantages, but commie blocks have major points in their favour as well. Many people would prefer the block, if given the choice.
>>
>>2527458
Honestly colour me surprised, I wouldn't call them nice though. Good options for the below the bar family.
>>
>>2527505
Define nice then.
>>
File: 1480447361297.jpg (2MB, 1889x2362px) Image search: [Google]
1480447361297.jpg
2MB, 1889x2362px
>>2525623
I have always liked the idea of towns/cities which are incredibly dense but give away immediately to nature a few (maybe 10) blocks from the center. Like you could be living in a place like pic related while being able to walk 10 minutes and be inawoods. Sadly I don't think that kind of town exists, especially here on the U.S. west coast though I have seen something close in the old valley towns of West Virginia where they were forced into density by the mountains.
>>
>>2527515
not the crack dens or prostitutes housing that looks like 90k can afford in Phoenix.
>>
>>2527464
Very sad. Like I literally work 14 hours a day to be able to try to help my city (for free) and can't rely on help from smart friends because they give 0 fucks to the country. Sometimes I tell what I've been doing to my friends and they think I'm crazy. Too much work for nothing, instead they just want to move to usa as soon as possible.
I don't understand this mentally since the nice places in the world needed to be built someday. Makes no sense attending to engineering school and not wanting to do engineering after you finish. Makes no sense trying to give back to the country that developed your skills.
>>
>>2527575
>>
>>2527579
>memellow
>>
>>2527561
In Seattle and Portland it's like a half hour to the deep woods.
>>
Overpopulation
>>
>>2527561
Be grateful that on top of having access to nature you won't be murdered going there. Where I live you don't live the walls if not necessary. To try to solve the problem I'm trying to hoard as many plants as possible in my house. No plants = sad place.
>>
File: pmeB7JMj.png (114KB, 252x252px) Image search: [Google]
pmeB7JMj.png
114KB, 252x252px
>>2525623
I work for a major panelized housing manufacturer. Interesting factoid: because most zoning bylaws prohibit you from building the same house over and over again, we have several types of houses and each house has several elevations (A, B, C, D, etc) that are slightly different. Maybe the roof is different, maybe there's a different window here and there. Sometimes the houses are also mirrored.

We've reached a point in the residential construction industry where a house can basically be built in a couple of days. The foundation is poured in advance and then the wood frame panels are delivered and assembled in a day. The roof trusses are assembled and lifted in several pieces onto the building. Then the cladding and finishes are applied.
>>
File: Cairns crack heads.jpg (437KB, 2199x846px) Image search: [Google]
Cairns crack heads.jpg
437KB, 2199x846px
>>2527561
>>
small towns are objectively the best places to live. Anywhere else is a shithole
>>
>>2527606

Thats not a house, thats a shed
>>
>>2527606
Wait, is that the same as modular housing or is that different?
>>
>>2527634
It's not modular housing. It's basically exactly the same as traditional platform wood framing but the walls and floors are divided into panels and built in a factory.

This is the wall line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wPsLf1pPS8

This is the floor line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBmzDgkvBUM

The video shows steel joists of some sort but we only use wood I-joists.
>>
>>2527660
What does the final product look like?
>>
>>2527660
I was thinking, what America needs is a shitload of prefabricated mid-rise apartment buildings to drive down housing costs and drive up population densities.

Is modular harder to transport or some shit?
>>
>>2527679
>drive up population density
That isn't desirable in any way
>>
File: 1470781970812.jpg (225KB, 1021x1531px) Image search: [Google]
1470781970812.jpg
225KB, 1021x1531px
>>2527303
>>2527372
This all hits pretty close to home, but it's not quite that bad. Or at least, in my tiny ass town of 2000 people, it wasn't. So for me, it was more like this:

You go to a school where everyone knows everyone else, and generally have their own cliques everywhere. You'll probably attach to the two or three other guys who have an interest in anything more than playing sports and partying after the game on Fridays, even though you all secretly can't stand each other and the only uniting purpose is that you don't much care for anyone else in the town either. The other students' reactions are basically a split between shunning you for not doing things with the rest of them and having no real connections and fearing you because Columbine is fresh on everyone's mind and you and your group are the most likely candidates of people who'd snap and start gunning down students one day (Despite actually showing zero aggression or anything that'd suggest such a thing), so generally you get left alone. Sometimes, the more damaged chicks show interest in you because you're that mysterious type and they'll score big points if they get you to open up and show interest in them. And soon as you do, they'll drop you like old news.

The majority of kids will graduate high school and insist on going off to college in a larger town. They'll talk up how awesome it is that they're living on their own, when really the only thing that lets them move off is daddy's money, and somehow this completely escapes them. A good portion of them will waste their first year or two of college partying and accomplish nothing, at which point their parents will yank their chain and force them to get a job. Most of these will move back home and pick up some dead end work in the labor force and generally wind up happy enough. Some will actually finish college and decide they want to come back, living in town and commuting the better part of an hour to work every morning.
>>
>>2527689
Low population density means people don't walk places.

If people don't walk places, they are more succeptible to depression and obesity.

Americans today are fat, depressed fucks.

Increases population density is the cure to 4chan.
>>
File: 1436832567430.jpg (109KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1436832567430.jpg
109KB, 900x1200px
>>2527705
About 5 to 10 every year will actually buckle down and finish a four year degree and leave town, work for a decade or two, and eventually get tired of it and move back home, especially when they start a family, because who wants to raise a kid in a big city? So they wind up reverting to something similar to their peers since they can't really make use of all that education they got in such a small place, and pick up something that pays half as much as their old job because there's almost zero demand for their talents around here without traveling, and no one can afford to pay anywhere close to what they used to make.

But you, you go off to a prestigious college and hate every single year of it. You get your masters, and by then you're so worn down, you say screw your doctorate entirely and move back home. There's zero prospects for you here, but you're determined to make something more of that little shithole you called a community for years, and you pour your blood, sweat, and tears into it. You teach students while the local high school pays you $35k a year just because you think these little fuckers deserve better than Ms. Greenwich who's starting her 41st year teaching the same grade and subject and Ms. Smith, that hot piece of 22 year old ass who's simply using the place as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. The administration hates you because they see you as both a threat to their position (Since you hold higher qualifications for their jobs than they do) and because you think students need a little more knowledge than what shows up on a state standardized test. The students generally don't give any fucks about learning something, beyond that one fucker in the back who holds a genuine interest, and you keep doing it just for him and every version of him that comes afterwards in the vain hope that any one of them will come back and continue trying to keep this place running as something more than a backwater.
>>
>>2527679
Our company makes mid-rise too. I don't know about where you live, but here we can have tall wood frame buildings.

My guess is that yes, modular housing is definitely harder to transport and we also make our panels so that they don't exceed the dimensional limits to be considered a "wide load" Modular housing is also more expensive to produce and it doesn't really make sense for a company like mine, since we are not a builder, we have contracts with builders to manufacture the wood framing for their homes and then they put in all the stuff like mechanical/electrical systems and finishes.

>>2527665
The final product looks like any regular house. You probably couldn't tell if the house was traditionally built or not. But if a house was built be a major builder, it's likely that it was prefabricated at least to some degree because panelization saves a LOT of money in terms of labor.
>>
>>2527665
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibOFajHnvZI

This particular video isn't my company but it's very similar. If you skip forward about a minute you'll see the timelapse. The framing comes together in about a day.
>>
>>2527709
Total asspull. High density means the place becomes a cramped, clogged, unlivable shit hole. See Philadelphia for example. People like having lots of space.
>>
>>2527885
The key is "can people walk to work"

Also, I would rather live in Manhattan than LA.

Fuck that traffic.
>>
>>2525623
>What went wrong?
everything

at the time it seemed like a good idea to base are whole lives around oil and to separate shopping, living , and work.
Take the Kunstler pill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ&t=19s
>>
>>2525623
>land of the """""free"""""
>>
>>2527900
>implying NYC traffic isn't a total catastrophe
>>
lmao @ these people glorifying cities

>extreme competition for good jobs
>you have a masters degree but so does everybody else, you work in retail for $13/h "waiting for your chance" to get a good job
>will never be able to afford property unless you have a household income of >200k per year, good luck trying to compete with foreign millionares buying all the property
>renting for your entire life, until rents increase to the point where you're forced into the suburbs even single room apartments are $1500/month now
>good luck raising children in an apartment building
>price of everything is inflated

This is what's happening in Canada anyways, there's no point in living in a city unless you work for the government or a white collar professional job with high pay, most people would be better off living in a small city of 250k-1 million, all the services of a large city but none of the drawbacks like absurd cost of living and extreme traffic
>>
>>2527918
>implying I would drive places if I lived in Manhattan

Subway, nigger.

Shit, you can get 90% of what you need just by walking.
>>
>>2527918
Nigger almost no one drives in Manhattan. Driving in the city is basically cucking yourself out of thousands of extra dollars in parking fees alone every year.
>>
I grew up in the suburbs, so it seems normal to me.

Why do you guys fixate so heavily on it? Why do the suburbs take on such powerful symbolism in your mind? Is it because you wished you lived in commieblocks, or what?
>>
File: us_mexico_border-TJ_right.jpg (628KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
us_mexico_border-TJ_right.jpg
628KB, 1600x1066px
>>2525658
Guess which side is Mexico...
>>
>>2525623
Oh look, a few hundred folks with nice double garage homes with nice lawns and back yards in a well organized neighborhood with easy road access. HOW AWFUL!
>>
>>2527979
Because I hate not being able to walk places.
>>
>>2528030
Walking is good for you.
>>
>>2528049
How does that contradict what he said?
>>
Wait, am I still on /int/?
no, i'm pretty sure this is /his/
>>
File: 1482414740940.jpg (17KB, 385x387px) Image search: [Google]
1482414740940.jpg
17KB, 385x387px
>>2526579
depressing that most of america is like this
>>
>>2528062
not that hard to check
>>
>>2527979
Because there's more than two kinds of development than suburb and commie block.

We fixate on suburbs because they manage to take the bad parts about the country and the city and roll them into one without the benefits of either. It is isolating, far from culture and jobs and socially dead like the country while having the crime,pollution, far from nature, and congested aspects of the city. You are boxed in by assholes you don't really know while still having to drive to get absolutely anywhere. Most suburbs are sprawling and maze-like. Suburban cities are autistic enough to segregate EVERYTHING. You can't have a nice little corner shop because it was designated that all commercial activity has to be placed in an entirely separate district. It is fine in small amounts, but as a widespread means of city planning it is an entirely broken system.

>>2528009
Aesthetics is very low on the list of reasons people hate suburbs. Think about this, by having the cities sprawl into suburbs like this and having developers refuse to build densely and when jobs are zoned away from houses car ownership becomes mandatory. This now just added a major expenditure to your life which you have no choice but to buy and pay. This fucks over the poor as having to own and maintain their car become a massive chunk of their income. Because of these suburbs they now have to take food out of their kids mouths to piss money away on a car they don't want but is mandatory because of the stupid way the system is designed.
>>
>>2525956
Skyskrapers might become a thing of the past, as most office type jobs are expected to be done from home within the next 30 years. It doesn't make sense to force 150,000 people to drive into a small central downtown everyday. Big problems.
>>
>>2526616
Where the fuck do you park?
>>
>>2526785
Uhh no, 40 years of democrat rules ensured any prosperous industry would leave.
>>
>>2528138
>implying any of these people own cars
>>
>>2528142
>What is New York or LA
>>
File: angry_pepe.jpg (40KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
angry_pepe.jpg
40KB, 900x900px
>>2527923
Shit like this is why I unironically support communism sometimes, every half liveable city is being bought up by Chinese technocrats causing old shitty houses that were built for working class folks 60 years ago to cost $2 million a pop

If there is one thing Trump should be focusing on its finding a way to cause a major real estate crash in major american and Canadian cities
>>
File: 1488952319401.png (202KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1488952319401.png
202KB, 400x400px
>>2528009
>a few hundred
stop
>>
>>2527357
dude shut the hell up. If someone wants to design their own house they should be free to do so. Stop trying to shut peoples dreams down.
>>
>>2528184
What we need is dramatic changes to American zoning and transportation policy, and property development, in an effort to increase supply until it meets demand.
>>
>>2525796
Don't forget Atlantic City, the queen of all shitstains.
>>
>>2527303
that seems pretty comfy
>>
>>2527994
Right.
>>
File: vancouver-home-prices copy.png (48KB, 600x382px) Image search: [Google]
vancouver-home-prices copy.png
48KB, 600x382px
>>2528184
the perfect storm of no more land to expand into and rich foreigners using you as a bank
>>
>>2528150
>implying any of these people need cars
ftfy
>>
>>2526230
Hey! My dad actually does know how to use power tools...
>>
How often do you get a bird's eye views of the suburbs?
>>
>>2526616
>not have a house; plus existing houses are shit and expensive
Versus
>have house in lifeless bloc

Tough choice.
>>
>>2527357
>Hiring a professional architect with nothing in your mind but "i want a house"

Stupid; idiotic; and really one of the thing that causes architects to lose passion for their jobs as their designs get rejected as they obiously dont meet or cater the demands of the client.

>Hiring an architect with a basic aesthethical idea of the house

Smart; wise; will give the architect a nice layout and basic idea where to go with his creativity. Plus; You'll probably love the result.
>>
>>2528492
If your architect isn't helping you shop around when it comes to designs he's probably a shitty architect. Either way the entire profession mostly either caters to the super rich or middle class immigrants returning to their home countries to build vacation home.
>>
>>2527416
Anon; people like you is why our societies dont die. If you do this you'll plant the seeds of the future of your nation; Giving richness and wiseness to the pool of need that our lands require.

I wish i hadnt lost the will to do it :c I gave up on my country already and found love elsewhere. Hopefully all goes well for you anon! God bless you!
>>
Suburbs are fine if you have a family and need to commute to the city. American cities are almost all shit, living on the outside is not only more affordable but is genuinely better.
>>
>>2525658

We should fucking nuke Phoenix. They aren't even valuable as part of a red state because they're somehow liberal. Phoenix is the only place I hate more than Commiefornia.

>>2525764

You're retarded. There is a huge market for luxury apartment towers as close to downtowns as possible.

>>2527219

Well, I live in Denver. I chose to literally live in a van instead of paying rent. Also fuck off, we're full. The suburbs are all shit and need to be carpet bombed. Except Littleton, it's kind of nice.

Really, the only problem with Denver is the traffic, which is caused by the fucking suburb people who NEED an entire house for their retarded kids to watch TV in separate rooms from each other and NEED a crappy little yard to sit and drink beer in and think about how shitty their life is. And then they drive to and from work every morning despite there being perfectly functional rail, but NOOOO, gotta drive, gotta stink up the place and make a traffic nightmare and take funds that could have been used for literally anything else and, oh, now we got to pay a bazillion dollars to widen the fucking highway...again...because the fucking suburb people all want to drive their shitty SUVs in every day. Good luck ever going anywhere during rush hour. Nope, hold the entire city at ransom so inbred mcfuck and their three ugly kids can eat kraft dinner in their falling apart suburb shack and their yard full of crusty dogshit.
>>
>>2528643
Wants to Nuke Phoenix because its not conservative enough and lives in a van in liberal jew-topia Denver.

Lay off the weed, friendo.
>>
>>2528668
>Wants to Nuke Phoenix because its not conservative enough and lives in a van in liberal jew-topia Denver.
Honestly if not living in parents basement or on govt gibs that's your typical 4chan poster.
>>
Really, who gives a shit what you people want? The truth is, even if you like living in the suburbs, they're an environmental catastrophe. Suburban sprawl is fucking horrible for the planet in more ways than I can count. I'm not even a particularly avid environmentalist, but we all have to live here, so it kinda behooves us to give a shit.

It's not going to actually happen, because it would be political suicide, but if they made me king of the world I would cheerfully tell you selfish fuckers, "Fun's over, you do not in fact have the right to own 3 cars and live in a giant box for just you and your wife and your two kids. Sorry."
>>
>>2528678
>implying people live like that because they want to
I don't think anyone in right mind would choose the American suburbs over European style housing. The suburbs are simple whats there. It's what happens when you country is growing while having the most cutting edge technology coupled with consumerist capitalism.

Most Americans who live in the suburbs don't think about it and probably assume everyone lives that way who isn't poor or rich.
>>
>>2525640
You have it backwards, they are petri dishes for offspring. They are nice safe and sterile environments for you to raise your kids into until trashy people contaminate them, and this is why there is suburban sprawl. Much in the same way that gums will recede an effort to break contact with gingivitis, so to does the middle class flee from contact with the poor.
>>
>>2525956
>There's something in-between the inhuman efficiency of a town made out of giant concrete/glass/steel towers and the absurdity and artificial isolation of the two-story house american suburban sprawl, where you need to hop in a car every time you need to shop for groceries.

Suburbs are comfy as fuck. If you want isolation, you got it. If you want to make friends, have BBQs and block parties, you can. Kids play hockey in the streets and basketball in driveways.

Besides, most Americans go grocery shopping like once a week so the whole car thing isn't a big deal. Suburbs are perfect. You can visit the cities nearby without having to shoulder the bad parts like the noise, crime and costs.

t. former city dweller
>>
File: spiral.jpg (313KB, 1250x1000px) Image search: [Google]
spiral.jpg
313KB, 1250x1000px
Humans are social animals and when everything is sterile and isolated they start to hate each other.

You see most of the suburbs through a car window and at walmart you see only complete strangers from 20 miles away. Prison-like tower blocks have a similar effect. You run into a bitchy soccer mom or some yobbos on a street corner and become more withdrawn, the entire community becomes neurotic.

>What went wrong?
People didn't take into account the hidden costs and benefits of their decisions, they just said "oh it has a garden" and moved to the burbs. They don't realize if they lived in a cosy well planned town with everything within walking distance they would see the same people every day and public spaces would become part of their home. The shops. The park. The gym. The pub. Kids wouldn't have to be driven everywhere. People would actually do things. They would be happier.
>>
File: 20150221_USD002_0.jpg (63KB, 595x335px) Image search: [Google]
20150221_USD002_0.jpg
63KB, 595x335px
>>2525776
You're both kinda right. Almost every collapsed husk of an inner city has a 'gentrification' enclave now.
>>
File: Serf vs Wagecuck.jpg (85KB, 735x559px) Image search: [Google]
Serf vs Wagecuck.jpg
85KB, 735x559px
>ITT: Moderns
>>
>>2525805
Skyscrapers are the ugliest kind of building
>>
>>2528678
Nancy Pelosi, go to bed. It's late.
>>
>>2525658
they won't be able to play pretend that they don't live in a barren wasteland for much longer
>>
>>2528668

Van beats rent. Also, I'm here to be a filthy hiking hippie, not a filthy weed hippie.

If you kicked the mexicans out, it would be majority red. Give trump a year or two and we'll be right leaning and rent will suddenly be dirt cheap now that supply is up and demand is down.

>>2528701

This. Why dig my own garden when I can just go to the park where they've hired an 8/hr mexican to plant the flowers for me? It's economical.
>>
>>2528701

Is that spiral street real? Coz it's the dumbest thing I've seen all day
>>
>>2528688
>implying people live like that because they want to
Some people do. Several of them have posted in this thread.

As for those who don't, my post wasn't directed at them.

>>2528730
I'm sorry, I don't understand your bantz. I know who Pelosi is, but I'm not an American.

Does she hate the suburbs or something?
>>
>>2528742
Fuck you, I'd live in the spiral. Except it needs to be bigger.

I want to live as deep in the spiral as possible.
>>
>>2528759
she hates america and wants to turn us into you fags across the ocean, god knows why
>>
You faggots love to rail against american suburbs but you never offer a solution, if you think you can "plan" thousands of "organic" old world style towns without making them a cheap imitation or convince people to raise families in Swedish style commie block apartments you are crazy.
>>
File: 73858438.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
73858438.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>2528730>>2528741
Do you have no hobbies? My dad is an avid gardener and I was into making my own Plate and Mail armor. The former requires your own plot of land, the latter space for the tools and to absorb noise. I also want that 300k house on the edge of the sprawl some day so I can have a backyard shooting range.
>>
>>2528701
god that image gives me the willies

spiral road with no shortcuts
just a fucking mall at the centre
only green space is a fuckhuge golf course
maybe ten trees if you're lucky
scrubby crap desert being developed into more fucking houses up the top

god give me a city apartment or a log cabin in Alaska any day
>>
>>2528768
>scrap most zoning restrictions
>eliminate tax deduction for mortgages
>mixed use zoning fucking everywhere
>invest in pedestrian/bike/subway/cable car infrastructure in lieu of more cars
>eliminate parking requirements for businesses inside of cities
>lower property taxes for more efficient land use
>>
The American dream is a lie the government told to get cheap immagrent labor
>>
>>2528768
>thread about suburbia's validity
>hurdur you talk shit about it but why you never come up with solutions?
wew lad
>>
File: 1452371417687.png (411KB, 813x610px) Image search: [Google]
1452371417687.png
411KB, 813x610px
>>2527705
This actually sounds like hell.

I'd much rather do something else with my life, desu.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3qGNpdZvY4
>>
File: 154261-004-925CFB2B.jpg (40KB, 550x362px) Image search: [Google]
154261-004-925CFB2B.jpg
40KB, 550x362px
>>2525640
>I can't stand the shit that suburban housing gets for being 'cookie-cutter'.
>Thinking that creativity and uniqueness is somehow expressed through the architecture of your home makes as much sense as the belief that you can appear creative and unique by dying your hair pink and getting tattoos.
it's not about expressing the creativity of the home owner you retard, it's about living in a society that doesn't look like generic copy pasted boxes. american suburbia is as ugly as commieblocks.
>>
>>2528860
nice cherrypicking bucko
>>
>>2527885
>People like having lots of space.
too much space and you live in a wasteland
>>
>>2527930
>streets constantly clogged
>have to ride a subway with smelly Pakis and niggers
Thanks I'll prefer my suburban sprawl of a city.
>>
>>2528701
>when the labyrinthine hellscape from a horror comic is probably more easily navigable than your home town
>>
>>2525640
>attempt to hide the fact that you're boring as fuck.

Look at OP's picture. just look at it.
>>
File: 1458420176503.jpg (24KB, 253x255px) Image search: [Google]
1458420176503.jpg
24KB, 253x255px
>>2529008
It's real life where the true horrors reside.
>>
>>2529008
It's designed to discourage through traffic.
>>
>>2528986
wrong
>>
File: 3230501.jpg (3MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
3230501.jpg
3MB, 3008x2000px
Tbh the only difference between commieblocks and American suburbia is that commicblocks have better aesthetics.
>>
File: Apartment_in_Murmansk_3.jpg (1MB, 1670x1795px) Image search: [Google]
Apartment_in_Murmansk_3.jpg
1MB, 1670x1795px
>>2528701
>suburbia=trying to hide the soul crushing despair behind the thin veneer of american dream
>commiblock=being honest about the despair and agony that it will bring
>>
>>2529063
>>2529098
There is something really wrong with me.

I think those look comfy.
>>
>>2529063
I've lived in both and commieblocks are basically ghetto tier.
>>
>>2525623
Ever since the latter half of the 20th century more people have wanted their own estate like homes. That shit doesn't work without slaves or servants to perform maintenance and other common tasks but more and more middle income earners have moved into multiple story houses that have been built that they often might not be able to pay off or maintain adequately and run into trouble with down the line.
Buying a house is a trap. It's better to invest in a condo instead.
>>
File: suncity-usa-photo-01.jpg (2MB, 1680x963px) Image search: [Google]
suncity-usa-photo-01.jpg
2MB, 1680x963px
>>2528701
fake picture the real one has road through it
>>
>>2529063
>>2529098
I love these retarded russiaboos, as much as homegrown commies. You are suburban kiddo, right?
>>
File: 1452481237502.jpg (35KB, 600x539px) Image search: [Google]
1452481237502.jpg
35KB, 600x539px
>>2525623

>*lights house on fire*
>*whole town dies*

good city design lads
>>
>>2529063
>>2529098
I love these retarded russiaboos, as much as homegrown commies. You are suburban kiddo yourself, right?
>>
File: pic_5_806286_k806287_1200.jpg (145KB, 1004x659px) Image search: [Google]
pic_5_806286_k806287_1200.jpg
145KB, 1004x659px
>>2529125
>>2529130
Born and raised in a 70s commieblock desu senpai.
>>
>>2529108
>It's better to invest in a condo instead.
why
>>
File: 1488481179259.gif (625KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1488481179259.gif
625KB, 256x256px
>>2529117
>>2528701
in the future people will think such thing must have been built by the gods, and a beyond human understanding.
>>
>>2525623
Blacks moving into cities.

Whites moving into suburbs.
>>
>>2529160
What country is this? This is what I hate about commieblocks so much, it could be anything from Prague to Vladivostok.
>>
File: 1482104555620.jpg (73KB, 653x635px) Image search: [Google]
1482104555620.jpg
73KB, 653x635px
>>2528701
>all the shops are in the middle
why?
>>
>>2528306
That sign on the right is clearly Spanish.
So left is Mexico.
>>
File: 1489517823189.gif (348KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
1489517823189.gif
348KB, 350x233px
>>2529186
>sign is in Spanish
>it must be Mexico
don't think so
>>
File: kekkoslovakia.jpg (82KB, 793x557px) Image search: [Google]
kekkoslovakia.jpg
82KB, 793x557px
>>2529182
>>
These cookie cutter developments are okay when they exist in places where there's a moderate degree of regulation but in these no regulation freedom states like FL or AZ you have these massive overdevelopments and are mostly to show off to their business associates and clients and rake in profits from contracts while the opportunity is there.
>>
>>2529222
AZ is good, the liberal zoning laws are why the property is dirt cheap.
>>
File: the sprawl - it is endless.jpg (76KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
the sprawl - it is endless.jpg
76KB, 500x375px
>>2528189
Tens of thousands? I think you underestimate just how far these suburbs tend to sprawl (though if you're calling me out on that, as you were). The city I'm in is nothing but suburbs and maybe two shopping malls, and it has a population of over 300,000.

>>2528109
Suburbs are for middle to upper-middle class folk. Apartments are in the cities for youngins, lower class folks, and those who don't give a shit.

Well... They were... Yes, we are running into the problem that apartments are overpriced as fuck, houses are overpriced as fuck, so there's nowhere for anyone who fails to fly to go. Though I suppose, thanks to the miracle of the internet and modern tele-commuting, you can still live out in the stix.

At least until someone on the other side of the planet takes your job for a tenth of the pay.
>>
>>2528892
what do you think I left out?
>>
File: 158.png (15KB, 447x378px) Image search: [Google]
158.png
15KB, 447x378px
Suburbs are just Commieblocks built sideways.
>>
>>2525623
This is definitely British.
>>
>>2529430
I doubt you lived in both.
>>
Apartments are fucking hell when you get higher than the first floor. I used to live in the second floor of an apartment block with free electricity (heating) and it during the winter it get hot as fuck because of retards putting the heating at 30c.
>>
>>2527303
>white-as-popcorn high school
I guess it's not all bad then.
>>
>>2527303
I actually lived in small town Ohio and I fail to see what's wrong about it.
>>
>>2529536
our houses aren't that big desu
>>
>>2529579
There are many Americans who unironically believe that life is shitty if you aren't surrounded by cohorts of blacks and spics and other "diverse" ethnic elements. I mean I'm not sure how they arrived at such conclusion considering those people are usually followed by dismal poverty, crime and urban rot.
>>
>>2525658
I can't wait for water rationing and blackouts to destroy this.
>>
>>2528643
>Phoenix
>liberal
Are you absolutely braindead? Maricopa county is the biggest red county in the nation.
>>
>>2529604
You're right, the cars are on the wrong side too.
>>
>>2525934
I'm from Moldova and I've seen this.
>>
>>2525623
Looks good.
>>
>>2528701
Why the fuck would they actually build a spiral.
>>
>>2529185
Shops are the modern churches
>>
>>2528711
>you will never be a serf
>>
>>2527277
How do you think those 2 and the entire suburban family trope got so popular mongoloid?
>>
feels good man
>>
>>2529063
Commieblocks are way uglier and more depressing
>>
>>2525658
>>2525658
RIP NA aquifers.
>>
>>2529805
Comfy as fuck, all cities should be full of green like this one you've posted
>>
>>2529579
>>2529607
I went to a public school in New England and people ignored race and segregated themselves by interest. I.E nobody gave a shit that there was a chubby black kid and a chink in your D&D group, they got along just as fine with everyone else. There was no one clique of popular people that lorded over the others, even the athletes were not given special treatment, everyone just focused on which ever social group catered the most to their own personal set of interests and identity politics were never once an issue.

Then I moved to the south and went to a lily-white private school and fucking hated it. Everyone was in a mad rush to prove how much they love Jesus, everyone is obsessed with sex politics and social control, if you weren't part of the main social scene of Bible-thumpers you were ostracized and excluded. And even then I felt grateful because the public schools in the South are far shittier: you're either a redneck who humps diesel trucks or you're a pistol-packing gangsta nigga with no future and the only thing they hate more than each other are people on the margins of their world who aren't conforming.

As soon as I was no longer legally tied to my parents I got the fuck out of that shit-hole and haven't looked back. Now I live in a log cabin in the rural part of Massachusetts and when I'm not out hunting or riding 4 wheelers I do in-home inspections, and I've done the houses of Blacks, Indians, Ethiopians, Hispanics, Chinese, Vietnamese, Jews, and basically any ethnicity you can think of (not to mention the homes of super wealthy white and Jewish Bostonians) and home ownership makes gentlemen out of them all.

Racial homogeneity is an illusion. Your worst enemy will always be someone who is the same race as you, who tyrannizes you for failing to live up to the expectations they set for you because of your "race" but won't think twice about stabbing you in the back the moment it suits them. I wouldn't subject my children to that.
>>
LA has just realized it's sprawl has failed and they can no longer expand, a few measures were recently passed to start urbanizing and building up instead of out. But Chinese have been driving prices up for ages.
From what I hear, Texas suburbs are expanding infinitely, and they're so banal you could drive for an hour or 2 and not even know you left your own neighborhood.
>>
>>2527448
DID SOMEONE MENTION THE GOLDEN HURRICANE?

:DDD
>>
File: vaasa[1].jpg (799KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
vaasa[1].jpg
799KB, 1500x1000px
>>2529821
thats my hometown, nowadays i live here.

commieblocks done right imo.
>>
>>2529826
>had one black kid in his class
Yeah man you truly have fantastic experience with minorities. Now try living in a 60% black neighborhood like me two years ago and tell me what it's like. Would trade a "lilly white" suburb for that shit any day of the week.
>>
>>2529832
Generic East European town. I grew up in a similar one.
>>
>>2528184
>a real estate tycoon should try to cause a real estate crash
come to think of it, it would allow him to buy up properties at firesale prices
>>
>>2527456
>LA
>Not a global city
?????
>>
File: lemaitre-and-einstein.jpg (28KB, 315x209px) Image search: [Google]
lemaitre-and-einstein.jpg
28KB, 315x209px
>>2529835
>>had one black kid in his class
you seriously need to work on your reading comprehension skills because that's not what I said.

But if you must pry, the only place where I've ever lived where there was "that one black kid" was that lily white private school of Bible Thumpers and I was fucking flat out embarrassed at how strange those kids acted around him, flat out objectifying him as some kind of animal even though he was hands down the tamest black guy I ever knew. Every where else I lived and went to school there were black kids, and the shittier the school the shittier the kids no matter what race they were.

When I went to college I partied with black athletes. A handful were shitty but for the most part they were normal guys and I even shared an apartment with one for 3 years. He was a stand up guy who married his high school sweetheart, they actually saved themselves for marriage while he was putting himself through college on an athletic scholarship, and is now a physicians assistant and one of the finest men I've ever known.
>>
>>2529863
There are no fully white people in the south anyway, everyone has a certain degree of black in his veins down there. So you got served some proper diversity.
>>
File: african-american-population-map.png (163KB, 950x766px) Image search: [Google]
african-american-population-map.png
163KB, 950x766px
>>2529863
>lilly white
>in the south
doubt.jpg
>>
>>2529878
redpill me on california
>>
File: graphicPercent1990.gif (218KB, 900x508px) Image search: [Google]
graphicPercent1990.gif
218KB, 900x508px
>>2529884
>>
>>2529884
you know how good for nothing blokes who peaked during high school shit on the guy who made something of himself in life?

That's the south and flyover states.
>>
>>2529892
so niggers in the east, spics in the west. inbred between.

so alaska is actually the best part of US huh?
>>
>>2529902
>inbred
I think only Appalachia is inbred.
>>
>>2529884
It's not as bad as /pol/ or the rest of 4chan has you believe, but not as good as movies make it out to be (unless you have a really high paying job)
>>
>>2529884
Good if you're a Hollywood actor, Silicon Valley tech worker, or a tourist. Total shit for the average person. High as fuck taxes, absurd cost of living everywhere that isn't assfuck desert, terrible gun laws, huge pollution, only 30% white.
>>
>>2529902
guy from another country who moved to alaska
it's nice and cold.
and no taxes.
>>
>>2528986
Wasteland > negroes
>>
>>2528711
>European vs American
>>
>>2525906
It's all a joke...
>>
>>2528246
oh please, people shit on Atlantic City but its no worse than Yonkers

Newark is the real hellhole
>>
>>2527422
http://www.crackshackormansion.com/
>>
>>2529182
vienna looks the same desu
>>
>>2527994
I sure hope the left one is the US.
>>
>>2525658
I unironically think this looks awesome.
>>
>>2531652
Me too actually and I live here (not native to the area). It might be wasteful and vain as fuck but it's pretty.
>>
>>2525623
I unironically think suburbs are the height of residential living. Enough people around to have relationships and community, enough space to have your own, private existence. You are responsible for your own property, its upkeep, as well as yourself. The only downside is the long time wasted on commuting to work.
>>
>>2529902
As a general rule, only poor people have to worry about niggers, spics, or rednecks.
>>
>The Brazilian dream

What went so right?
>>
Man needs land.
>>
The automobile unironically. It's been such an economic drain and horrible pollutant. The spacing is so horrifically energy inefficient. The mass wealth the US obtained after ww2 all went into supporting the endless sprawl.

Pretty telling that instead of building timeless masterpieces like the Romans we built this shitty mass produced tasteless sprawl as our legacy. It's economically unsustainable. Cities will not be able to afford the costs of the maintenance of sprawl.

The automobile with it's noise and fumes also makes the city unlivable. Just look at LA and see the smoggy haze every day, that kills thousands every year not to mention all the automobile accidents.

Converting to car free full pedestrianization of cities will make them a thousand times more livable. It's easier for future development and they will likely be nicer if you return to human scale infrastructure and architecture, but existing cities are still a must for conversion and they too will be a lot nicer even with the huge skyscrapers.

http://carfree.com/
https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/handle/2152/32255

In truth though city planning has gotten worse the past 500 years slowly, the automobile was just a huge leap deterioration You can read about it in this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Carfree-Design-Manual-J-Crawford/dp/9057270609
>>
>>2525623

Want to know the truth? There are far too many people. So unless your American dream is selling stuff to people or doing some kind of service for people, its hard to follow your dreams.

If you want to be a self sufficient landowner, well then fuck you that ain't happening unless you got money already.
>>
>>2525623
That pic is in Canada, OP.
Markham, Ontario, to be exact.
>>
>>2531850
Canada has the same problem as the rest of America in terms of urban planning. Eastern Canada such as Quebec and Newfoundland retained a lot of their nice architecture and traditional layouts though.
>>
>>2531859
So this is why Montreal looks like total shit
>>
>>2531863
Quebec city is nicer, but Montreal has very nice parts of it
>>
>>2531859
The best looking Canadian cities I've seen are Vancouver and Calgary, Quebec looks like ass.

t. non-Canadian
>>
File: Quebec City.jpg (470KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Quebec City.jpg
470KB, 1600x1200px
>>2531874
Yeah soooo shitty. Ill take that over soulless uncreative modernist crap any day thank you.
>>
>>2531897
>posting this povertytown
>>
>>2526560
this. americans are prisoners of their cars. public transportation is heavily villainized here as being a net drain on society somehow.
>>
>>2527487
t. Eurocuck
>>
File: 1478451544843.jpg (96KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1478451544843.jpg
96KB, 633x758px
>>2527705
>>2527719
I know the feel, small-town bro. I know the feel.
>>
>>2531874
Vanocuver is only good for the natural surroundings.
The actual architecture is a mixture between bland and horrifying.
>>
>those duplexes

God damn that looks like a block worth investing in. Where is this OP and how much is the average rent?
>>
>>2525640
>the suburbs are basically a place where people to go to die, intellectually, but it's not because of the architecture

The architecture is at least a symptom.
>>
>>2525623
Non american here. Anyone know what city is that suburb in?
>>
Are the americans saying "housing is expensive" serious?
Your country is a lot more than NYC or San Francisco, remember that.
>>
File: markham.jpg (715KB, 1793x833px) Image search: [Google]
markham.jpg
715KB, 1793x833px
>>2532370
this is actually in Markham, Canada (near Toronto)

Also the picture makes it look worse than it really is, here is a more zoomed out shot
>>
File: b2607_chart7750px.gif (34KB, 750x405px) Image search: [Google]
b2607_chart7750px.gif
34KB, 750x405px
>>2527487
>The difference is, that an apartment in one of those costs maybe 1/3rd of what a person makes working for minimum wage, whereas in most US cities many adults have to cohabitate or live with their parents.

Nonsense, housing costs in Europe are FAR higher then in the U.S. while home sizes are much smaller.
>>
>>2525623
>property ownership
It was a nightmare from the beginning.
Actually worse, More like eating 3000mg of Benadryl and going shopping at Walmart. Scary shit
>>
>>2526785
>The niggers were only a final nail to the coffin.

No, Detroit was a 1st world city right up until the 1967 Riot, (for example, it had come in 2nd place to host the 1968 Olympics) when White people started bailing on the city and then Coleman Young got elected 1972 and White Flight turned into a veritable tidal wave and it all went to shit in less than a decade.

There are are in fact still all kinda auto factories and associated industries in Detroit and the entire South East Michigan region is still heavily manufacturing based, it's just that nobody wants to live in the 3rd world ghetto that Detroit became (even Blacks).
>>
>>2533035
Tee bee aytch, if I were Mayor Cavanaugh I would have fired every cop in the entire department.

>try to get the police to stop beating the shit out of niggers for the fun of it
>get pushed back by the rank and file, with the backing of the union
>black people aren't allowed into any of the bars
>black people open up illegal bars so they can just fucking relax after doing their shitty wageslave jobs
>police raid the illegal bars
>the resulting chimpout is so severe that it literally ruins the city
>>
>>2531786
>only poor people have to worry about niggers, spics, or rednecks.
So most of America?
>>
>>2533071
Not the people who run the place.

t. old money
>>
>>2533094
>Americans think they are "old money".
Every rich person I've seen who isn't from the old European noble families is just as tasteless,tacky,arrogant, and rude as a redneck or nigger.
>>
>>2533144
Well, point being that they don't have to see people they don't want to see.
>>
>>2526560
/n/ here

TRIGGERED
>>
>>2527561
Whittier, Alaska, consist of a single building with 200 inhabitants, some industrial buildings and nothing else.
>>
File: Detroit Then and Now.jpg (131KB, 736x786px) Image search: [Google]
Detroit Then and Now.jpg
131KB, 736x786px
>>2533065
>
> be Detroit, happening 1st world city
> WWII starts
> Arsenal of Democracy!
> Blacks move from up Down South
> post-war Golden Years economy
> high tech center of the planet
> highest standard of living in the world
> Soviets sucker self-hating White college kids and rile up Negros
> muh civil rights!
> Blacks commit all kinda crimes
> cops try to keep a lid on it
> raycists!
> Blacks riot and burn shit down
> White people leave
> become a 3rd world shithole in just 10 years

One of the first things Coleman Young did when he became mayor, was lower the period of residency requirement to get welfare down to only 6 months. This resulted in a flood of Blacks from Down South coming into the city to sponge off the now generous “Great Society” welfare programs and rob their White neighbor’s homes while they were at work (paying for those welfare programs...) and the post-'67 Riot Detroit Police couldn’t / wouldn’t do anything about it, lest they lose their jobs for being accused of racism.
>>
>>2533249
>blacks can't get good jobs
>blacks end up doing all the bitch work
>blacks want to drink off their sorrows at the local watering hole
>they can't, no blacks in the bars
>they set up their own bars
>police raid them

History makes a lot more sense when you realize that cops are just blue niggers.
>>
>>2532669
Thanks. And yes, your pic does look nicer
>>
>>2525623
Blacks
>>
>>2532966
I actually live here, and I'm not talking about houses, but about apartments.
>>
>>2533065
Some people need a good beating once in a while in order to function.
>>
>>2525658
thats indian land on the left
>>
>>2533249
>>2533348
Whites have got to be some of the biggest dindus in history.
>>
>>2525640
Architecture is just another expression of a societies traditions and values. I think thats why living in suburban america is so depressing - it has no soul.

These "cookie-cutter" housing expresses the disgusting consumer culture that america has. Go look at "suburban" neighborhoods in countries in europe, like germany or the france. It doesnt make you want to kill yourself, but i guess thats what you get when you actually have a culture.
>>
>>2529710
central phoenix is pretty liberal, even the mayor is a democrat

But its sorrounded by mormon nigger hating gun loving grannies
>>
File: living space.jpg (108KB, 1500x1578px) Image search: [Google]
living space.jpg
108KB, 1500x1578px
>>2533338
> I actually live here, and I'm not talking about houses, but about apartments.

It applies to apartments just the same; more people + less land = higher housing costs.

You can get far more living space in the U.S. for the same or less money.
>>
>>2533378
Not in cities though, which is my point. The US has no culture of commie blocks, so there's little affordable housing for working class people that isn't overrun by undesirables.
>>
File: 1967 Riot.jpg (101KB, 1200x476px) Image search: [Google]
1967 Riot.jpg
101KB, 1200x476px
>>2533352
>Whites have got to be some of the biggest dindus in history.

How are Whites dindus? They're the ones who built the city and the Blacks trashed it in less than a decade.
>>
>>2533376
Phoenix itself is only like 1/4 of the metro which is solidly Republican overall.
>>
>>2533393
That's because America thinks that poverty eradication programs are the devil and declaring a War on Drugs is the best way to control substance abuse.

Suburbanization is a symptom of a society that's so broken that people don't want to live near each other any more.
>>
>>2533398
Not that guy and I hate niggers but how did you magically avoid to mention the fact the industry of Detroit and rust belt as a whole completely collapsed, as if that wasn't ever a factor? Niggers also moved in droves to other cities such as Chicago or Indianapolis but those didn't suffer the same level of social collapse as Detroit.
>>
File: suburban backyard.jpg (149KB, 615x480px) Image search: [Google]
suburban backyard.jpg
149KB, 615x480px
>>2533393
>The US has no culture of commie blocks

Than god for that! We have suburbs, that are MUCH better to live in then commieblocks.
>>
>>2533427
>that are MUCH better to live in then commieblocks
If you are a high income family, yes. If you are a working class single, no.
>>
>>2533398
Blacks built the city by being the working class
>>
>>2533393
Housing in the US is significantly cheaper than in western Europe.
>>
>>2533442
>blacks
>working
Come on.
>>
>>2533442
Blacks only started moving into Detroit after it was already built and developed. Detroit was 90% white in 1940.
>>
>>2533476
I pay 400€ a month for a nice apartment in a nice city, with no Muslims around.

House prices are irrelevant for me, I can't find a wife, so I'll never need one.
>>
File: Detroit-Riot-1967.jpg (204KB, 1200x802px) Image search: [Google]
Detroit-Riot-1967.jpg
204KB, 1200x802px
>>2533417
>the industry of Detroit and rust belt as a whole completely collapsed

Because it didn't "collapse", it took a down turn and got better again but the city of Detroit was already a shithole by the time the 70s were out.

I'm 49 years old and lived in metro Detroit all my life, I watched it happen.
>>
>>2533489
>400€
Either it's not western Europe or it's not a nice apartment. Also renting rather than owning is full retard.
>>
>>2533503
>Also renting rather than owning is full retard
>he fell for the home ownership meme

Home ownership is good if you intend to raise a family, otherwise it's stupid because it restricts your options.
>>
>>2533503
>american teenager expresses his valuable opinion on european housing market
kekk
>>
File: $124,900.jpg (117KB, 959x691px) Image search: [Google]
$124,900.jpg
117KB, 959x691px
>>2533429
> > that are MUCH better to live in then commieblocks
> If you are a high income family, yes. If you are a working class single, no.

Nonsense, I’M working class (machinist) and this 900 sq ft 3 brdm brick ranch house with a finished basement and two car garage backing up to a city park and just down the street from me, sold for $125K last year.

Where are you going to get comparable housing in Europe for a similar price? You’re not.
>>
>>2533507
>giving hundreds or thousands of dollars a month to Mr. Goldstein to occupy a property that's not even yours
Next level cuckoldry.

>>2533513
Didn't know people born in the 80s were teenagers, nice to learn.
>>
>>2533517
>being this retarded while almost 30
you win i guess
>>
>>2533529
I'm older than 30 actually.
>>
>>2533517
>he can't move out whenever he wants to
>he has to go through a (((realtor)))
>odds are he's paying for the house with a mortgage and he'll end up paying 800k for a 400k house because of interest
>if there's a housing crash, you'll be trapped in an underwater mortgage
>you will inevitably develop roofing/basement/mold/flooring problems that require tens of thousands of dollars in sketchy contractors to fix

I mean, honestly, it's not a bad choice if you intend to stick around in one area (eg retiring or raising children), but the idea that home ownership is the only option and renting is stupid is just a boomer meme.
>>
File: 9fag.jpg (50KB, 720x644px) Image search: [Google]
9fag.jpg
50KB, 720x644px
>>2533540
>>
>>2533516
>Where are you going to get comparable housing in Europe for a similar price?
Where I live. Not all of Europe is GB or the French Riviera.

>>2533503
Owning is full retard mode in today's economy if you are a single. It chains you to the ground in some stupid place, and buying an apartment is the final form of retardation, since you don't even control the building you're living in. You could get garbage neighbors, a garbage landlord, or the area can be overrun by Muslims and you'd be fucked out of your investment.
What would I even do with a house? I own a mattress, a chair, a table, a computer and some storage boxes in addition to 300€ worth of kitchen equipment. Tell me how I'm going to fill a house? I have a couple years worth of income saved up that allow me to work part time with no financial worries. If I lose my job, or muslims move in next doors, I can just pack up and go. If my boss is a cunt, I'll just quit. I can go anywhere I want. Buying living space is way too inconvenient and risky for someone like me. I don't have friends or family and that won't change either.
>>
File: $124,900 basement 3.jpg (63KB, 960x506px) Image search: [Google]
$124,900 basement 3.jpg
63KB, 960x506px
>>2533558
>Where I live.

And where is that (I'm in the metro Detroit suburbs).
>>
>>2533558
I'm not sure why you keep arguing about the housing prices. Europe is much more expensive in that respect, no matter where you go.
>>
>>2533558
>I don't have friends or family and that won't change either.

So then your experience is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>2533558
I guarantee that pretty much all of Europe is more expensive than America. Even in the capitals of shithole countries (Kiev, Budapest, Warsaw, Bratislava) real estate happens to be more expensive than flyover America. Don't even get me started on Scandinavia or Switzerland or the Netherlands, the costs are out of this world.
>>
>>2533558
Your argument is basically on par with saying you don't really need electricity or hot water either (and biologically speaking, you don't) so everyone should be fine just living in a cave.
>>
>>2533482
I guess all those manufacturing products just appeared out of nowhere then.
>>
>>2533717
>white working class doesn't exist
>>
nothing people love making these threads because they are obsessed or something. after a while it just becomes circle jerking fedora tipping
>>
>>2526992
nope you are just clueless fuck head
>>
holy shit this thread is pure cringe
>>2528643
shut up faggot
>>
>>2526292
LOL
>>
>>2526292
>tattoos
Kys
>>
>>2526292
this
>>
>>2527994
both sides are entirely inhabited by spics
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.