[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did Japan think attacking the US will even accomplish?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: -58ec2283d63c0144.jpg (513KB, 960x1291px) Image search: [Google]
-58ec2283d63c0144.jpg
513KB, 960x1291px
What did Japan think attacking the US will even accomplish?
>>
>>2523884

They thought that it would buy enough time (6 months to a year) in which to seize the NEI and all of its oil, as well as a defensible perimeter in the Pacific, so that they could negotiate a peace with honor before the overwhelming industrial and manpower advantages of the U.S. made themselves felt.
>>
>>2523889
This is why Japan makes terrible RTS games.
>>
File: Macarthur_hirohito.jpg (136KB, 650x802px) Image search: [Google]
Macarthur_hirohito.jpg
136KB, 650x802px
>>2523889

>negotiate a peace with honor

They really missed the mark there.
>>
>>2523911
I think you could say they got off a lot better than the Germans.
>>
>>2523914

You're not wrong, which really says something about how badly Germany was wrecked considering Japan had two of their cities decimated in a nuclear fire bath.
>>
>>2523920
And now Japan is well suited to finished what they started 80 years ago. All they need is another pretext to invade China.
>>
>>2523920
Yeah, well I guess people were really pissed that Germany had had the gall to spark another horrible war and were scared to give them any opportunity to ruin things a third time.
>>
>>2523934
Japan alone couldn't even take on the Philippines and occupy it effectively today if it wanted to.. No power projection, small military and the fact that Japanese culture and mentality in the modern age is not geared nor willing to to expand the military or engage in armed conflicts.

Also population growth is dismal and it's expected that Japan will be half its population by 2060. Their military potential and power is in the past and will never return.

t. Otaku fanboi
>>
>>2523884
At the time, the United States was in the middle of the worst economic downturn in modern history, and was fairly close to collapsing into a failed state.

Japan assumed that the US was weak and would lack the means and political will to rebuild its military and fight a war so far from home.
>>
Just my two cents but i believe they were trying to cripple or disable the US western fleet believing that the US wouldn't be able to recover and that they would reign supreme in the pacific
>>
They would have done much better by simply ignoring the Americans and just kicking the hell out of the British and Dutch. The American public was not going to tolerate a war with Japan solely to defend European colonialism. In fact, the planners of War Plan Orange said that the only issue would be motivating the populace into a conflict (keep in mind that the plan also assumed Japan as an aggressor, just not via sneak attack).

Pearl Harbor handily solved this issue.
>>
Cripple their ability to counter attack for 6 months, in which time a defensive barrier could be constructed in the pacific protecting the southern resources area (etc). Americans were considered undisciplined and decadent, and it was assumed that after a token resistance public opinion would force the US to sue for peace and deal with Japan having access to all the juicy rubber, oil, etc that the south pacific has to offer.
>>
>>2524054
Eh. You don't know what the future holds. Something drastic will happen in fifty years. I predict a realignment of Korea and Japan with China.
>>
>>2523914
Only because Germany was split. I'd say they got off about the same as west germany.
>>
>>2524236
"In the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success."

-Isoroku Yamamoto
Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.