[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the Irish famine a genocide? Why/why not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: An_gorta_Mor[1].jpg (886KB, 1909x1273px) Image search: [Google]
An_gorta_Mor[1].jpg
886KB, 1909x1273px
Was the Irish famine a genocide?

Why/why not?
>>
>>2516273
Nope. They were just making room for more Ulster Scots to move in :)
>>
>>2516273
Yes
Because it was the deliberate killing of a massive population
>>
No, the British government was exasperating the famine to clear the island, with the intention that starvation would drive the Irish to immigrate to the Americas.

They never meant for anyone to die, it's not their fault the paddies were stupid enough to die of hunger, while they had the clear option to leave.
>>
File: Le happy thrall.png (20KB, 501x677px) Image search: [Google]
Le happy thrall.png
20KB, 501x677px
>>2516273
>The potato blight was the Brits' fault
>>
File: LwbYulF.jpg (54KB, 501x504px) Image search: [Google]
LwbYulF.jpg
54KB, 501x504px
>>2516316
Gee, I wonder who could beady behind this post.
>>
>>2516273
more of a genocide than the so-called holodomor
>>
Of course it was. I mean, everyone knows what happens to a population if you deny them food access to food, but it doesn't surprise me that governments to it that way instead of deliberate murder, because there is a small element of plausible deniability.
>>
Yes, it was.

>>2516311
And the Turks were simply relocating Armenians, Assyrians, and other Christians, they didn't mean for anyone to die either. :^)
>>
File: wefascnow.jpg (31KB, 584x232px) Image search: [Google]
wefascnow.jpg
31KB, 584x232px
>>2516273

>Because it was the deliberate killing of a massive population

This desu, but the irish also kind of deserved it for:

1. Being completely dependent on a Peruvian mountain root for survival
2. Importing foreign bat guano for fertilizer when they already had some of the best soil in the world
>Live on an island surrounded by fish
>fish is a traditional food
>stave to death
>>
>>2516273
>Be an Island
>Surrounded by water, with fish in it
>Potatoes stop growing
>Panic and move to America or starve, rather than mass fishing
>>
>>
it was negligence and indifference, but not a directed event

simply put, the Irish are starving and who could give a monkey's
>>
>>2516487

I'm sure our malevolent forbears forbade them to fish and the like
>>
>>2516454
>>2516455
Stop victim-blaming you perfidious Albions.
>>
>>2516402

Implying it wasn't part of their natural population cycle
>>
>>2516487
What percentage of the Irish population migrated to America, Canada, and Australia in the 19th century?
>>
>>2516501
>I'm tired of feeling guilty, so I'll resort to memes
>>
Deploying soldiers to protect food exports for profit from a country where people are starving to death is INTENTIONAL STARVATION.

Pic related.
>>
>>2516273
No. Genocide only applies to people. What happened in Ireland was more akin to culling badgers.
>>
>>2516563

now that sort of meme is a bit far

it was still a human tragedy, a fateful confluence of unavoidable circumstances culminating in misery for an already impoverished country
>>
>>2516513
The boats that way you potato nigger
>>
File: 1489333199574.jpg (288KB, 952x629px) Image search: [Google]
1489333199574.jpg
288KB, 952x629px
>mfw dead taigs
>>
>>2516647

>you will never gift Russel Brand a glass eye
>>
>>2516454
>>2516455
>being so retarded you think the Irish had any say in making only potatos
>>
>Fail at farming, the basis of all human civilisation
>HURRR GENOCIDE BRITAIN
>>
>>2516455
>>2516454
Tbh lads it's clear fishing was never an option for the irish because judging by this thread everyone keeps taking the bait
>>
>the Brits dindu nothing wrong they just wanted to ethnically cleanse Ireland.
>>
>>2517492
>dindu nothing
See me after class
>>
>>2516806
While not too funny, that was really clever.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.