[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did the Roman empire have engineering schools?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1454433588356.jpg (52KB, 795x545px) Image search: [Google]
1454433588356.jpg
52KB, 795x545px
Did the Roman empire have engineering schools?
>>
>>2513053
What the fuck do you think? They built stuff by chance, completely fluked it. Everytime
>>
I've been wanting to make a thread about this. Why do we have so many works of philosophy and practically no textbooks about engineering and science from antiquity? Was it considered state secret?
>>
>>2513053
All their engineers were poo in the loos and Changs and assorted Slavs.
>>
Quadrivium would be the Roma/medieval version of modern STEM.
Vitruvius was by any means a standard technical manual all the way into late middle ages.
>>
>>2513547

It's more that the people who preserved those works of philosophy tended to be mons and priests, who had no interest or understanding of technical manuals. Bear in mind, in Europe's climate, a book will only physically last a certain amount of time (a few centuries, say) and so must be recopied many times for it to have survived into the modern day.
>>
>>2513547
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvius

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontinus

etc.
>>
>>2513548
No, Ho Chee Ming wouldn't have been tolerated in the Roman Empire.

Death to chinks. Death to Asian American males.
>>
>>2513654
>doctores ballistarum
I love it.
Military engineering is the true and original engineering.
>>
>>2513602
Anything earlier than Vitruvius?
>>
>>2513547

>Why do we have so many works of philosophy and practically no textbooks about engineering and science from antiquity? Was it considered state secret?

those were taught by tutors, instructors and apprenticeship. Philosophy is much more strict in the concepts it presents so you can't pass it down by usage.
>>
>>2515279
>>2513547

This. They also had no science of engineering as we know it. Any calculations were just for costs and amounts of materials. They didn't even record designs or draw detailed diagrams. All of that came in the medieval era.

Interestingly, because they didn't have the tools to do the math, they designed with effective margins of safety (how many times more stress your design can handle than it actually needs to handle) roughly in the hundreds, whereas modern engineering uses a factor typically of 2-3.
>>
>>2513053
Yes. They imported countless Parthians and Scythians to engineer their aqueducts, and inscribe their marble.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.