[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, so I'm writing a book and would like to do some research

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1483384189468.jpg (77KB, 527x750px) Image search: [Google]
1483384189468.jpg
77KB, 527x750px
Hey, so I'm writing a book and would like to do some research on cults for it, specifically modern-day cults (20th century). More specifically I'm looking for how cults are formed and what it's like to live in one. If the cult "blew up" and did some crazy shit, that's also a plus (Jonestown, Waco, etc.) I'm really just looking for jumping-off points to get my research started, but discussion would also be appreciated. How did these cults form? Could their violent acts be prevented? What's it like to live in one?
>>
>>2512894
>Waco
>violent acts
Nice try ATF
>>
>>2512904
I mean, it still counts as violent acts. It's just unclear whose fault it is that those violent acts started.
>>
>>2512894
if im not mistaken membership is generally handled like a retreat somewhere far out. they isolate you from society and your friends and keep you constantly occupied and busy with activities, these are to isolate you from alternate sources of input as well as deprive you of sleep. they will also likely feed you malnutritious foods and junk. this usually lasts like what, 72 hours? something about the sleep deprivation, isolation, and lack of nutrition is supposed to affect your ability to make judgement and heighten the impact any suggestive input might have on the victim
>>
>>2512894

You would do better by reading biographies of cult founders. There is a "type" who founds a cult, and much of the behavior of cults makes more sense once you understand this.
>>
Cults fascinate me too. You should look into the intersection between 60-70's thinking and the emergence of cult-like behavior.

Also, Jim Jones was an ASSHOLE
>>
Check out "Last Podcast on the Left" and their episodes on Aum Shinrikyo, Scientology, Heaven's Gate, and Jim Jones. If you can get through some really bad jokes (not offensive, just plain bad), then you're set
>>
>>2513759
>>2513767
Yeah, Charles Manson and Jim Jones were both "dreamer" hippies before they went fucking crazy. Also, how the fuck did Jones manage to finesse his way into state politics? How did he manage not to show any signs of being completely homicidal and balls-to-the-wall crazy?
>>
>>2512894
There's a doc on netflix right now called Holy Hell, it tells the full story of a cult start to finish and it was put together by the people who were part of it using footage they took while in it.
>>
>>2513806
>signs of being completely homicidal and balls-to-the-wall crazy
Drugs man. Drugs, power, and paranoia made him flip his shit.
>>
>>2513805
I listen to Sword and Scale whenever I have to go on long drives and he has a few episodes on cults that I'm getting through.
>>2513816
Sounds fascinating.
>>
File: 1381043955084.jpg (37KB, 526x482px) Image search: [Google]
1381043955084.jpg
37KB, 526x482px
>>2513806
>Also, how the fuck did Jones manage to finesse his way into state politics? How did he manage not to show any signs of being completely homicidal and balls-to-the-wall crazy?

That's exactly what you should investigate. He and his followers were once named the best tourists by the media because they'd clean up state parks and do other acts.

Towards the end of his life he garnered the attention of the government, but seriously, how did he fly so far under the radar. Was it normal for that time?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.