[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Napoleon obsessed with bees? It was like his personal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9

File: napoleon.jpg (93KB, 600x874px) Image search: [Google]
napoleon.jpg
93KB, 600x874px
Why was Napoleon obsessed with bees? It was like his personal little symbol.
>>
>>2505731
It looks cool and symbolized work ethic, also it was a reference to the first merovingian kings of the franks, who used the bees as a symbol as well, in order to legitimate his rule and show that he took acount of all of France's history
>>
>>2505771
That's awesome. Based Nappy. Do you have some more less known fact about him?
>>
File: image.jpg (160KB, 736x1064px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160KB, 736x1064px
>>2505731
>>
Because Nappy wuz not only Romanz but also Frankz n shieeet
>>
>>2505731
he was a busy bee
>>
The Merovingian dynasty had Bees as one of its most prominent symbols, napoleon needed/wanted to associate himself with a historically ""french"" bloodline and since Charlemagne and his bloodline seemed cliché why not take the family heritage of the one that they replaced.
>>
>>2505731
Because fleur-de-lys was to be replaced
>>
Because his key to success was just to bee himself
>>
>>2506590
>Why was Napoleon obsessed with bees?
>>/facebook/
>>
>>2506590
Keked
>>
>>2505731
They are awesome and they make honey.
Occassionally they revolt and a worker bee becomes the queen.
What's not to like?
>>
>>2505731
He was beeing funny.
>>
I always hear Napoleon was short. Is this true?
>>
>>2505731
He liked the wutang clan
>>
Why is the red bigger than the blue?
>>
File: 1489525968254.png (52KB, 272x250px) Image search: [Google]
1489525968254.png
52KB, 272x250px
>>2507249
check em
>>
>>2505731
>>2505771
>>2506022
Those aren't bees but cigales (cicadas in english?) otherwise they are right it is a merovingian symbol discovered 150 years earlier in the grave of Childéric the first (frankish king) he was burried with golden cicada jewelry all over the place, apparently its symbol of immortality/resurrection, like the metamorphosis of the cigale from eggs burried in the soil (the grave) to a flying insect (the after death) it's speculated to have its root in the far-East, China more precisely because there is a tradition of putting cicadas on top of the mouth of the deaths as you guessed it, a resurection symbol.
There's a specie of cicada (the magicicada septendecim) that stays burried in the ground for 17 years before elvoving into a nymph.
Napoléon chose it for the reason explained earlier that you would expect from him, to connect himself to previous Frankish dynasty to legitimate his reign, it did the same with the Imperial eagle taken from the Roman Empire.
Im not sur if the work ethic connotation is effective when we know it isn't bees though..
>>
File: 20160514_174358.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160514_174358.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
The bee symbolizes persistence
>>
>>2507460
Holy shit that's a gay ring and rings are pretty gay already.
>>
Wasn't Charlemange obsessed with bees? I'm actually reading a book on bee/beekeeping history and for the longest time in northern europe when a beekeeper died they would literally send the family to his hives to tell the bees he had passed so they wouldn't fly away
>>
>>2507412
cicadas dont look like that at all though
>>
File: suicidebee.jpg (57KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
suicidebee.jpg
57KB, 640x640px
>>2505731
>>
File: 1486807851508.jpg (17KB, 260x273px) Image search: [Google]
1486807851508.jpg
17KB, 260x273px
>>2507619
If rings are pretty gay already then it's hardly noteworthy that the ring is gay.
>>
Bees beat lilies,
at least that's the explanation I've heard
>>
>>2507249
Optical trick makes it appear of equal length when looking at it from very far IIRC
>>
>>2507672
I believe he meant that one ring is particularly gay, henceforth it is noteworthy for it far exceeding the usual expectation of rings
>>
File: cicada.jpg (33KB, 640x321px) Image search: [Google]
cicada.jpg
33KB, 640x321px
>>2507644
I mean afterall you are right, I was always thought that the merovingian symbol were 100% cicadas because of the grave/resurrection thingy which honestly make sense. I did further reading and in fact historians question it, saying it could also be the linked to Artemis bee symbol (longevity and queen/king whorship symbol)
Napoléon probably went with the bees for all the reason we've said, and If 200 years alter people found out Merovingians used cicadas it wouldn't change much of the meaning since beside the longer curved wings it looks the same.
>>
IDK how relevant this is, but the bee also has a long and prominent place in the occult, where it has been a symbol for "seekers of the truth" since at least the middle ages.
>>
>>2505731
Bees are absolutely incredible. One bee can return to the hive, dance, and every bee around him can know exactly what direction, how far, and what type of flower he just visited.

Not only that, but every bee can plot a route to all of those flowers absolutely minimizing the flight distance, in their little bee brains.

They're fascinating creatures, and quite necessary for life.
>>
>>2508241

I dont BEElieve you
>>
>>2508199

I think you may be on to something.

THE SYMBOLS OF EMPIRE
The eagle and bee, emblems of the First and later Second Empire, have become so familiar that it is easy to forget their origin and meaning.

Symbol of immortality and resurrection, the bee was chosen so as to link the new dynasty to the very origins of France. Golden bees (in fact, cicadas) were discovered in 1653 in Tournai in the tomb of Childeric I, founder in 457 of the Merovingian dynasty and father of Clovis. They were considered as the oldest emblem of the sovereigns of France.
>>
>>2508199
The chain of the Légion d’honneur

Created on 29 Floréal, An X (19 May, 1802) as a decoration for military and civil services, the Légion d’honneur took its name from ancient Rome. The chain of the Légion d’honneur, reserved for the emperor, princes of the imperial family and grand dignitaries, is composed of a gold chain made of 16 trophies linked by eagles with the ribbon and cross of the order at their necks. This chain is bordered on either side by a small chain alternating stars and bees. The central motif, the Napoleonic N, is encircled by a laurel wreath and supports the cross of the Légion d’honneur, a five-pointed pommel-pointed star, in white enamel. In the centre is the laurel-crowned profile of the emperor, the whole surmounted by the imperial crown.

The Crown and the Imperial Mantle
The escutcheon stands out from the imperial cape which is similar to that used by the peers of France. Scarlet velvet spread with bees, and bordered with grape clusters, gold fringes, the cape is lined with ermine and is held in place by the crown made of eagles with raised wings alternating with arcs, the whole topped with a globe bearing a cross.
>>
>>2508280
http://andrewgough.co.uk/articles_bee3/
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.