[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people believe in imaginary things?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0395.jpg (32KB, 220x308px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0395.jpg
32KB, 220x308px
Why do people believe in imaginary things?
>>
>>2502404
>implying my main man isn't real
>>
Helps cope with death, and the fact that much of life is beyond our control.
>>
>>2502404
All things people believe in are by definition imaginary. It is just that some things have a higher correspondence to some theoretical external reality, and therefore a utility in navigating it, than others.
>>
sense of happiness
>>
>>2502404
Santa is real you fedora tipping faggot.
>>
but don't you *want* to believe in a kindly, benevolent old man who wants to bring you gifts and reward you for being a decent person.

much like christianity. don't you just *want* to believe in a benevolent, all known creator god that created everything, has a plan for all the horrible shit that happens in life, and actually cares for and is aware of every moment of suffering in your life?
>>
>>2502404
https://youtu.be/JkpRqxKbgF8

4:00 if you want to skip his opening ramblings
>>
You and everyone else believes in imaginary things. If you didn't you wouldn't be able to function in society for one.
>>
>>2505695

I don't.
>>
>>2505729
If you say so champ
>>
>>2505733

Oh gawd, not that guy that makes idiotic posts while calling everyone 'champ'.
>>
>>2502404
>believe in imaginary things?
You meant "believe in stupid"?
Imagination is intelligence. Infinity.
>>
Its comforting
>>
>implying your entire reality isn't generated through abstract Ideas

laughing_plato.tiff
>>
Oh yeah?

Prove Santa DOESN'T exist. I'll wait.

>he leaves me presents every year
>people have believed in him for thousands of years and all over the world

Are you saying that all these people and I are just imagining our relationship with Santa? Pffft. Absurd.
>>
>>2502404
All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."
REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"
YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
"They're not the same at all!"
YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.
"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"
MY POINT EXACTLY.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.