[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When Japan Had a Third Gender

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 11EDO1-superJumbo.jpg (1MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
11EDO1-superJumbo.jpg
1MB, 2048x1365px
What does /his/ make of this article? Is it just another case of viewing classical history through modern revisionist lens or is there some truth to it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/arts/design/when-japan-had-a-third-gender.html
>>
>>2498564
>case of viewing classical history through modern revisionist lens or is there some truth to it

These two tend to be inclusive of each other
>>
It's interesting history, but seeing it as a third gender is certainly stretching it.
>men or women in liaisons with the adolescent wakashu; female geisha dressing like wakashu and engaging in rough sex; male prostitutes cross-dressing as women; men impersonating women on the Kabuki stage, a tradition that lasts to this day; and even a male Kabuki actor impersonating a woman who pretends at one point to be a man.
Sound's like Roman society to be quite honest.
>>
>>2498580
I once wrote a paper comparing classical Japanese society to Ancient Greco-Roman society. There's quite a lot of similarities there. I was more familiar with Greece at the time, so that's what most of my essay was on.

Teacher-Wakashu is pretty much how Teacher:Student relationships worked in Greece. Though Japan had a more definite cutoff date, while in Greece it was "first sign of facial hair" that was generally the end of boyhood. Typically in Greece, it was seen as weird to fuck a boy with facial hair still.

Greek men impersonated women in Greek theater, there was even a whole play of many men impersonating women who were impersonating men (Assemblywomen).

Not too familiar with prostitution in Greece or Rome to comment on that though. Only know about hetaroi, which isn't really related to your post.
>>
>>2498580
The entire reason women were banned from kabuki was because guys would come to the (sexually suggestive) performances and then start getting into fist fights and rioting over who got to fug which girl so the shogunate basically went "fuck you, we're taking away the girls".
>>
>>2498640
no fucking way

post a source if you're gonna make such a claim
>>
>>2498580
>Sound's like Roman society to be quite honest.
This, homosexual relationships where also very prevalent among Buddhist monks.
>>
File: Antinous_Mandragone_profil.jpg (155KB, 900x1158px) Image search: [Google]
Antinous_Mandragone_profil.jpg
155KB, 900x1158px
Boipussy was common in ancient Greece and Rome as well. I wouldn't call them trannies though.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.