[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How capable was the Soviet Union of fighting up to the English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: guards.jpg (54KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
guards.jpg
54KB, 624x351px
From what I have read, the USSR had an overwhelming advantage on the ground, parity in the air and enough antiship material and missiles to take out anything on the water.

Was a victory in Western Europe assured? In addition, what were Soviet operational tactics apart from "muh deep battle"?
>>
>>2493854

At what point in time are we talking about this?

If it's the immediate aftermath of the European theater of WW2, it's not at all clear that the Soviets would sweep aside to the Atlantic, but if you're talking about some other period, such as say, 1953 when the Western Allies had largely demobilized, things are very different.
>>
>>2493860
Let us set the timeframe from 1980 onwards in this scenario. Basically I'm wondering what happens if Gorby (or someone prior) gets sidelined by a radical faction which sees the writing on the wall
>>
>>2493854
I doubt about parity in the air, also how good their fighters were at night. And their surface fleet was a joke.
>>
>>2493869
Anti ship missiles, remember?
>>
>>2493869
>>2493879

Yeah, from what I understand the US had nothing like AEGIS back then and the Soviet surface fleet and Sub fleet had a metric fuckton of antiship missiles

>>2493869
Well, PACT definitely had more combat aircraft than NATO. And the qualitative disparity was matched by their massive amount of hi-tech SAMs and triple A
>>
>>2493854
At every point except the mid-70s and maybe the late fifties, the war for western Europe ends the same way: soviet's make enormous initial gains, destroy whole armies, then get nuked in oblivion.

You cant conquer Europe if there's no Europe left to conquer.
>>
>>2493854
Operation Unthinkable won by the America and friends, 1955-1965 USSR would probably win, 1965-85, NATO could
>>
>>2494176
I feel that despite everything nuclear escalation would be avoided

wHAT scenario do you envision midn 70s and late 50s?
>>
>>2494217
If I remember correctly, around those times U.S. forces in were significantly worse than the soviets. In the 50s, there were no IBCMs, so there was no way to quickly retaliate, while in the 70s the Russians had rough nuclear parity with the U.S. In those scenarios, Western Europe turns red. Britain would probably hold out, but only barely.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.