[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they fail? Where they not respected and feared as an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: image.gif (16KB, 395x339px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
16KB, 395x339px
Why did they fail? Where they not respected and feared as an adversary by the Romans? What the fuck happened to their culture and language? Did Caesar genocide the Gallic people? Why are the last instances of Gallic related language only found in Ireland?
>>
Why are river borders so sexy?
>>
>>2490794
God intended this
>>
Maybe because they were a collection of tribes that all hated each other faced by the greatest statesman in Greco-Roman history leading a giant disciplined well-equipped army and who started off with half of Gaul on his side.
>>
>>2490782
Tactics
And the Gaul's complete lack of them.
>>
>>2490782
>Why did they fail?
Spent more time infighting than dealing with external threats. I doubt having the druids alone handle anything intellectual was very good for their society either, considering how long it took to educate one and how distant they were forced to be from mainstream gaulic society.
>Where they not respected and feared as an adversary by the Romans?
No. They were considered pitifully easy to keep divided and way too undisciplined to face a same size roman army. Do remember, Caesar wiped the floor with a mere 10 legions against hundreds of thousands.
They were only a threat back in the time when single tribes or short term tribal alliances could muster enough men to easily overwhelm Rome's manpower.
>What the fuck happened to their culture and language?
Hard to keep a language when you can't write it down and your merchants are forced to use latin to trade and your overlords pretty much refuse to officially interact with you unless you use latin.
>Did Caesar genocide the Gallic people?
Not really. I mean yes, individual tribes (if you count enslavement as genocide, which I suppose it should count), but not the gallic people as a whole. Most of the southern and belgic tribes were hardly damaged by all the warfare (beyond the committed soldiers anyway).
>Why are the last instances of Gallic related language only found in Ireland?
They aren't tho.
>>
>>2490794
They aren't. Rivers are used for traversing and trade. They make awful borders most of the time.
>>
>>2490816
Tbf the romans started nibbling territory away from the gauls a good two centuries before Caesar. Basically after Brennus they lost every conflict. More than one tribe decided to leave cisalpine gaul, and many of those who stayed got basically genocided after Hannibal or after the social wars.
>>
>>2491514
>druids
Daily reminder druids are the closes Europe had to developing a brahmin caste like India. If Europe hadn't gone on the to dominated by Greco-Roman culture and instead was dominated by Celtic-Germanic, it'd be a far different world indeed.
>>
>>2491536
>Daily reminder druids are the closes Europe had to developing a brahmin caste like India.
For that matter, celts did have a remarkably similar social structure to indians. The warriors, traders, artisans and serfs were all their own cast, and social mobility was basically non existent.
I don't think it was the same for the germs tho, afaik they only had a more streamlined free=warrior and everyone else is a serf system, which is kinda closer to the roman patron/client system.
>>
>>2491567
>I don't think it was the same for the germs tho, afaik they only had a more streamlined free=warrior and everyone else is a serf system, which is kinda closer to the roman patron/client system.
I seem to recall that all male members of the tribe were able to own spears and shields.
>>
>>2491514

They most certainly were considered respectable foes and capable threats by the Romans, Brennus managed to sack Rome and occupy northern Italy in the 4th century. Caesar got his fame due to defeating a feared enemy of Rome, and by doing so in a successful fashion. Also remember that Caesar didn't win every battle in Gaul (i.e. Gergovia). Julius Caesar was successful just as much, if not more so, due to his political maneuvers than for his actions on the battlefield. A less capable general and statesman might not have attained victory in Gaul.
>>
>>2491583
The tone of your post implies disagreement with mine, but you haven't really said anything I haven't.
>>
>>2491588
First off, ancient Irish Gaelic is heavily related to ancient Gallic, as are the Irish genetically as a people(Gaelic/Gallic, the name even tells you this). It is highly likely that the modern day inhabitants of Ireland came from Gaul or the celtiberian peninsula.

Secondly, the Romans viewed the Gauls with respect and caution.

>His ambition was to conquer and plunder some territories to get himself out of debt, and it is possible that Gaul was not his initial target. It is more likely that he was planning a campaign against the Kingdom of Dacia,[4] located in the Balkans.

>The countries of Gaul were civilized and wealthy. Most had contact with Roman merchants and some, particularly those that were governed by republics such as the Aedui and Helvetii, had enjoyed stable political alliances with Rome in the past.

>The Romans respected and feared the Gallic tribes. Only fifty years before, in 109 BC, Italy had been invaded from the north and saved only after several bloody and costly battles by Gaius Marius.

The Gauls were not the primitive sheepshaggers they were made out to be and they had advanced enough cultures, it was their lack of military discipline and tactics that failed them ultimately. The battle of alesia could have been won easily had the vastly superior gallic forces not routed after the Roman cavalry charge over the northeast of the fortress.
>>
>>2490782
Their language was replaced mainly by vulgar Latin, which took place over several centuries.
>>
>>2490782
They realized their culture was inferior and assimilated
>>
>>2491849
They weren't tho
>>
>>2491776
>Gaelic/Gallic, the name even tells you this
completely unrelated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Celts#Galli.2C_Galatai

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Gael#Irish
>>
>>2491776
>battle of alesia could have been won easily had the vastly superior gallic forces not routed after the Roman cavalry charge

they could have won if they hadn't sat there and watched Caesar build TWO walls.
>>
>>2490782
because smelly barbarians who fight in naked hordes are no match for mighty roman civilization
>>
>>2491776
The words "Gallic" and "Gaelic" are completely unrelated

Also we know very little about the Gallic language, and we know almost as little about the Irish spoken at the time, basically all we have to go on for Irish before the 6th century is King lists found on Standing Stones.

They're both Celtic languages but that's it. Irish is a Q-Celtic language while Gallic was a P-Celtic language. Gallic was probably closer to modern Welsh or Cornish than Irish.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.