[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

History of house prices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: th.jpg (36KB, 450x342px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
36KB, 450x342px
I'm looking for some information about the history of house prices (maybe just in the last 150 years or so, but I guess it could be interesting to go further back), specifically in the UK but also in other western countries.

In particular, I want to know whether people today pay a greater share of their disposable income towards rental/mortgage than people in the past, and whether people today are more or less likely to own their home than people in the past. I've looked online but find it difficult to get figures, can anyone help? Basically I'm passionate about the right to own your own home and think it's a tragedy that the (((economy))) is making that unrealistic for an increasing number of people, but I've not got any statistics to back up my argument.
>>
File: 1488530728870.jpg (85KB, 735x559px) Image search: [Google]
1488530728870.jpg
85KB, 735x559px
For thousands of years people would build a house for themselves over the weekend with their friends and own it in full for the rest of their lives, all of sudden (((industrialized capitalism))) comes along and turns everyone into a debt slave, miss three payments and your panhandling out on the street, sad!
>>
>>2488011
When did it become the norm to buy a house rather than to build it yourself?
>>
>>2487978
Renting is one of the most Jewish things ever invented.
>>
>>2488044
I do understand the need for a rental market, especially given how much people like to move around these days, but for it to become normal for people in their mid 30s to still be renting is disgraceful.
>>
>>2487978
It's not possible to make a meaningful comparison back 150 years, society and the housing system was radically different.

Even in more recent history, Pre WW2 it was completely different and even pre-Thatcher radically different. Mass home ownership is a pretty recent phenomenon.

Also home ownership has only slightly declined from a ridiculous credit bubble.
It's not something to be overly concerned about away from London. housing and credit are still readily accessible.
>>
>>2488026
USA? I would guess post depression, due massive funding meaning prebuilt could be a option.

Scandinavia? Depends on when industrialization arrives. Even then, you might want to hire a carpenter to overlook the frame, just to look out for obvious flaws.
And industrialization arrived as late as Cold War in some parts.

Central Europa? ????

Britain? Who knows

Italy? I wouldn't even know, masonry is foreign to me

Rural Swissland? No idea

>>2488011
Not "friends". Community.
Not ownership: Serfdom
There is also bonus points like shitty ways to isolate houses, but that trend continues far into the 1930s, when Glass Wool is invented & mass produced.
>>
>>2487978
Until only recently, housing (at least in the US) has remained generally flat, when adjusted for inflation and for standards of living going up. The latter adjustment is necessary because we can't really directly compare a house from 1910 with a house from 2002. The 1910 house probably didn't have electricity, running water, insulation, air conditioning (granted a significant amount of homes and units still don't have this) or a heater (ditto).
Paul Krugman (author of Irrational Exuberance) noted this trend and also noted that the rise in actual home prices (that is, the prices after adjusting for the above factors) only started in around 2003/04. As we all know, housing prices peaked in 2007/08 before plummeting and leading to the subprime mortgage crisis (The Big Short is a good resource to learn about this, specifically the Michael Lewis book rather than the movie). Since then, housing prices have started rising again, and are actually back above their peak pre-Great Recession levels, but the reasons for that nowadays are a little murky. Of course, some locals are seeing different trends: prices in Vancouver exploded over the past few years to create the largest housing bubble on the planet and have just started collapsing; New York City is seeing rents drop; Bay Area and Silicon Valley prices have been steadily rising as more tech companies move in and gentrification and general improvements take hold.
I'm assuming that prices in the UK would follow similar historical trends (generally flat when adjusted for various factors), and I know that prices in London are currently on the rise. These days it might be because banks are becoming more willing to extend credit, though I'm not quite certain why that is.
>>
>>2487978
She's fucked mate.
>>
>>2488011
For thousands of years building a home didn't require much knowledge beyond structural stability. Now you need to know plumbing, electrical wiring, and a variety of other shit that 90% of the public doesn't know. Debt slavery has nothing to do with the shift from personal building of a home to purchasing/mortgaging/renting a prefab.
>>
>>2488291
>Debt slavery has nothing to do with the shift from personal building of a home to purchasing/mortgaging/renting a prefab.
Literally what? The first world is really the only place where "pre-fab"homes are the norm. You can still go to China, poverty stricken areas buy a plot of land where you are expected o build your own dwelling and tear it down when you are forced to leave.

Pre-fab homes are literally cancer of the world, I mean think about it, you can buy a plot of land for $300k spend your whole life on it, and you cannot even do what you want with it, everything has to be to code, or 'they' will tear it down.
>>
>>2488291
>wiring and plumbing are obscure skills that only elusive guildmasters who make sacrifices to the gods of modern amenities can dole out and control

lmao get out any chucklefuck high school dropout can wire together your average home for $11 an hour
>>
>>2488270
JUST
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.