[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is being curious good? Why is reading lots of books good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1488323620213.jpg (19KB, 483x442px) Image search: [Google]
1488323620213.jpg
19KB, 483x442px
Why is being curious good? Why is reading lots of books good when information presented in a book length document is a cultural artefact?

It seems that stuff like being well read or "curious" or having a "thirst for knowledge" is marketing made to milk consumerwhores. You never see these people doibg mathematical proofs. If it isn't knowledge that can be consumed, displayed, and discretely packaged then they don't care. And nobody markets this to you, of course

It's not even just vacuous business people who extol this shit.

Every single leisure activity ultimately ends up as some sort of work. Reading is no longer about entertainment, it's mainly used as a pseudo intellectual social signalling mechanism
>>
>>2486444
>information presented in a book length document is a cultural artefact?

Take your head out of your ass please.
>>
Being curious shows that you are interested in expanding your knowledge of various subjects and thus you are interested in improving yourself in general. Furthermore, a man who is interested in making himself better can become intersted in making the world or, at least, his community a better place.
>>
Curiosity is a natural part of being human, it's not a "good" or "bad" thing unless you contextualize it somehow.
>>
I don't know about "good," but curiousity is a trait of every intelligent person. I think it's truly bizarre you mention mathematical proofs as something curious individuals DON'T do, as that's completely backwards. Anyone who becomes an expert in something and expands the corpus of knowledge about it had to have been deeply curious to do so. And to top it off you spout the "social signaling," which is so stupid. No, OP, not every virtue that people possess is just showing off. Not everyone is secretly just as shitty as you.
>>
>>2486444
Curiousity was defined as one of the 3 big evils by Aquinas.
>>
File: 1484867409092.jpg (188KB, 745x931px) Image search: [Google]
1484867409092.jpg
188KB, 745x931px
I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge. And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.