[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you realize the end justifies the means?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1445822131125.gif (195KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1445822131125.gif
195KB, 640x360px
When did you realize the end justifies the means?
>>
I haven't

what anime should i watch btw
>>
File: It's all just a dream anyway.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
It's all just a dream anyway.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
>>2484550
Friendly reminder that the ends have to be more noble than the means were ignoble for this to be an argument and even then it's completely subjective
>>
>>2484575
Good job dumbass, that's literally the entire point of the statement (minus the subjectivity, if we're going there then everything can be argued as subjective)
>>
>>2484632
Except for the fact that many people use the ends justifying the means even when the ends aren't nearly as beneficial as the means were detrimental. I was saying that it's a slippery slope and even when it is justifiable it's still subjective. You may have benefited a great deal, others may have lost a great deal. Pyrrhic moral victories exist.
>>
>>2484550
I used to think that, but then I realized that the ends are so complicated it's not worth the extreme means to do it

>Kill all your enemies
>suddenly no enemies
>suddenly everyone thinks "killing your enemies" is a good idea
>suddenly everyone is killing everyone's enemies
>third world ensues
>>
>>2484550
Only if you achieve the desired end. So, basically no it doesn't.
>>
Elementary school
>>
>>2484550
The means justify The End
>>
When I realized the means are the ends.
>>
>>2487162
This is what rule based utilitarianism is for.
>>
>>2484550
childhood is realizing ends justify the means
adulthood is realizing nobody has a clue what the ends are
>>
File: 1482083261603.jpg (93KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482083261603.jpg
93KB, 600x800px
>>2488667
>utilitarianism
Literally the same problem as that guy described
>>
>>2484550
When the Americans let the Soviets run roughshod over half the world after WW2 because they are a nefarious offshoot of the Eternal Anglo.
>>
>>2488709
With rule based utilitarianism, you try and include the benefits of following the rule in your moral calculation.
>>
File: 1488823315907.png (277KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
1488823315907.png
277KB, 382x417px
>>2488728
>include the benefits of following the rule
I might be dumb but I fail to follow
>>
>>2488742
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_utilitarianism
>>
>>2488750
>ends justify the means
>but only if it follows the rules

doesn't that just mean the ends doesn't justify the means?
>>
Except it doesn't. My father murdered my mother in a drunken rage because she said she was gonna smother me in my crib. Where is he now? In fucking prison.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.