[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The End of History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: fukuyama .jpg (53KB, 791x1186px) Image search: [Google]
fukuyama .jpg
53KB, 791x1186px
"The end of history is a political and philosophical concept that supposes that a particular political, economic, or social system may develop that would constitute the end-point of humanity's sociocultural evolution and the final form of human government. A variety of authors have argued that a particular system is the "end of history" including Thomas More in Utopia, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Karl Marx, Vladimir Solovyov, Alexandre Kojève[1] and Francis Fukuyama in the 1992 book, The End of History and the Last Man.[2]"

Was Fukuyama wrong about the End of History and if so, will there ever be an end to history that favors capitalism/liberal democracy like the one he postulated? Was it the product of 90s hype or will this scenario ever be achievable?
>>
>>2475256
>Was Fukuyama wrong about the End of History

Almost certainly.

>will there ever be an end to history that favors capitalism/liberal democracy like the one he postulated?

Personally, I don't think so myself. But I don't exactly have a doctorate in that kind of macro-historical prediction.

>Was it the product of 90s hype

Pretty much. The cold war was OVER. Liberal democracy had won after decades of public belief (whether or not it was actually justified) that the button could be pushed at any time and everyone would be dead in a massive nuclear war. That kind of apocalyptic mass belief tends towards a view that this conflict is the last major one ever, and once it's over, some way or another, there will be no more.
>>
The end of history happens during the Great White Throne Judgement, after Christ returns to gather the believers and destroy the wicked.
>>
>>2475256
>Was Fukuyama wrong about the End of History
Yes, he even said so hmself.
>>
>>2475275 has it right.

Pretty much everything involved in the end of history has been categorically debunked academics in history, political science, and macroeconomics. Even at the height of its acceptance, the "end of history" was mostly just pop theory. The media ran with it, but it came under blistering critique pretty early on. Since writing it, even Fukuyama himself has tried pretty hard to distance himself from the book.

It's just the height of post-Cold War triumphalism. The world had been embroiled in a major ideological struggle for so long that people had pushed a lot of other meaningful and pressing questions into the periphery. We're already seeing major breakdowns on the question of nationalism vs globalism, because the Cold War had created an international system that was untenable without an external foe to unite against.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.