[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

French Revolution/Napoleonic to mid-19th century writers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I like military and economic texts from the Napoleonic era, anyone have recommendations on things to read about campains, revolutions and/or political issues of the time?
>>
The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Napoleon by Karl Marx.
>>
>>2462455
I've already read some Marx but he sounds like such an autist, is he as petty in this essay as in the others? I'm willing to give him a shot if he can prove to write a single non-retarded piece
>>
>>2462526
I don't know about his other writing, this is the first Marx I've read outside of the Communist Manifesto (which was pretty mediocre imo).

But The 18th is an amazing essay. He analyses the various fractions of revolutionary France and the way they interact with eachother, as well as their goals, aspirations, insecurities, etc. then examines how Napoleon was able to utilize them. It's loaded with witticisms and quotable lines, makes several very brilliant criticisms towards liberal democracy, republicanism, the various social classes, etc.

If for nothing else, the shear amount of readily quotable quips (man makes his own history, but doesn't choose the cloth from which its cut; first as a tragedy, then as a farce; etc.) make it worth reading.
>>
>>2462582
If Karl Marx was alive today, he'd be a scriptwriter for House of Cards, I think. As a historical-political drama it manages to be gripping, philosophical, witty, and suspenseful at the same time.

“The tradition of past generations weighs like the Alps on the brains of the living.”
>>
>>2462582
sounds very interesting, not sure why the manifesto is regarded today as such a good piece when this already sounds 1000x better (it really doesn't make Marx justice imo that i didn't know about this before and knew him only by his autism)

thx anon i'll give Marx a second shot
>>
>>2462604
except house of cards is shit
>>
what do y'all think of Clauswitz? I found him very dry and abstract from the realities of what he's talking about. A novelty but hardly relevant in today's world
>>
>>2462941
Do you mean the Prussian Karl von Clausevitz? if so then i'm going to take a look at 'On War', sounds interesting
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.