[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what age did full plate armor actually started being used?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

At what age did full plate armor actually started being used? I can't find any definitive sources about it.
>>
>>2456055
It was gradual, but i suppose it became full around 1350? But it wouldnt be until later that full became the most common
>>
>>2456055
Late 15th century, and then it peaked in the middle of the 16th century.
>>
File: 11314617665_d7757ee425_o.jpg (3MB, 4053x3242px) Image search: [Google]
11314617665_d7757ee425_o.jpg
3MB, 4053x3242px
>>2456078
Damn, so really late then if that's true. Guns would come shortly after. Euros never took the full advantage of them.
>>
I would guess that we will never know for certain when the first suit of full plate armor was invented. probably during the bronze age, given that we already know people were definitely making things close to full-plate, I'd say it would be absurd if nobody tried covering themselves entirely with it at least once.
>>
I mean, it depends if you mean full armour like that or just armour in general. Hell, the archaic greeks wore bronze armour.
>>
>>2456055
I made the first set of plate armor in the 12th century, it's literally angel memories
>>
>>2456078

> Late 15th century

Erm, no.

There were full suits of plate armor as early as the 1360s, by the 1400s full suits were everywhere;

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4907/14571/
http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4943/14899/
http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4943/14912/
>>
>>2456119
Guns were already being widely used by the mid 15th century, the hussite wars (1419-1434) were the first european war which saw widespread experimentation with handheld gunpowder weapons.

Although it wasn't until the battle of Seminara in 1495 that it was decisively shown that the proper use of guns could easily defeat a much larger force of armored knights. Gonzalo de Cordoba (aka el gran capitan) who had been in command at that battle would use its lessons to invent the tercio which was what really allowed guns to take over.

Regardless of that fact though plate armor was still a common sight on battlefields for over a hundred years after that.
>>
>>2456187
Yeah sure it's rather 15th century.
14th century was still mostly about what's called transitional armor, I would argue that early 15th century was still much about those types of "plate and mail armor" (which is shown partially in the images you've linked), full plate armor being the "common armor" only during the later parts of the hundred years war.
There's a difference of course between plate armor (which is certainly a 14th century and even before thing) and full plate. I was probably overly prudent, it's definitely more 15th than 14th though.

One of the "problem" with full suits is that most of what is typically put in front are 16th century ones...

>>2456119
Guns were a 15th century thing, portable guns that is.
>>
>>2456214

> Although it wasn't until the battle of Seminara in 1495 that it was decisively shown that the proper use of guns could easily defeat a much larger force of armored knights.

Erm what?

Firstly, Seminara 1495 was a French victory.

Secondly, even the battles of the late 15th century and early 16th century did not prove that a smaller force of firearms could defeat a larger force of knights, nearly always the musketeers required a numerical advantage, just a much smaller advantage than archers required at the time.

Archers after the hundred years war had trouble even with pikemen, against knights they were usually hopeless as metallurgy development made them nearly impervious, which is why everyone started switching to much more expensive guns. Heck, even the janissaries abandoned arguably the most superior Asian bows at the time for musketry.

However, large numbers of heavy cavalry was still a major threat, and the tercio development was precisely designed to deal with that threat, to protect the musketeers with a swarm of well drilled and heavily armored pikemen.

People often heavily underestimate just how heavily armored pikemen could be during the 16th century.

>>2456229

> Yeah sure it's rather 15th century.14th century was still mostly about what's called transitional armor,

The question was when full plate "started being used", not when it became widespread.
>>
>>2456183
He said full plate armour in the OP, are you literally retarded ?
>>
>>2456663
To be fair, archaic hoplite armor was one of the closest attempts at fullplate in antiquity.
>>
File: Crupellarius_legioXXX_3.jpg (3MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Crupellarius_legioXXX_3.jpg
3MB, 1920x2560px
>>2456683
No, this was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crupellarius
>>
>>2456697
Segmented armor =/= plate armor
>>
File: Italian half plate.jpg (95KB, 487x791px) Image search: [Google]
Italian half plate.jpg
95KB, 487x791px
>>2456701
>tassets aren't plate armor
>faulds aren't plate armor
plate armor ended up becoming segmented all over
>>
File: henry field armor.jpg (1MB, 2903x3722px) Image search: [Google]
henry field armor.jpg
1MB, 2903x3722px
>>2456931
>king Henry didn't wear plate armor
>>
>>2456119
Guns started common field use around 1424 when other people started copying the Hussite. Or put another guns become common before plate and were not the cause of it being phased out.
>>
>>2456683
didn't they stop wearing that stuff during the Persian wars and beyond though
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.