[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is imported labour cheaper?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: foreign labour.jpg (28KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
foreign labour.jpg
28KB, 450x300px
This is an economic question that's been bothering me for a while. I understand why labor in another country is cheaper ,because both income and living costs are low. Poor guys in Vietnam will happily work for $10 a day, because that's a lot of money in that country.

but why the heck is importing a Vietnamese guy to work inside the USA cheaper than using USA natives? Won't the immigrant be subjected to the high living costs in the US, and thus will demand a higher wage? he can't possibly demand 10$ a day, because he can't survive on that anymore.

How does this work? I mean, companies are doing it, so there must be SOME reason it works.
>>
>>2456014
>Won't the immigrant be subjected to the high living costs in the US, and thus will demand a higher wage?

But they're used to lower absolute standards of living.

They'll sleep ten to an apartment and live off of rice and beans and still not bitch.
>>
>>2456014
Dont know about japanase, but labor in the US has become cheaper than Chinese by rougly 4 %.
Fuyao glass is an example.
Chinese people are extremely frugal it bothers me.
>>
File: IMG_4541.gif (653KB, 229x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4541.gif
653KB, 229x200px
>>2456014
Imported workers are mostly from a less richer country so they are use to living poor so even a reduced wage is still a lot to the imported workers.

Globalism is pretty profitable to the elites which is why they always shill for it.
>>
They have lower expectations, and I guess employers can abuse non-citizen workers more easily, by threatening to send them back for example.
>>
File: 20140503_FNC982_0.png (97KB, 1190x592px) Image search: [Google]
20140503_FNC982_0.png
97KB, 1190x592px
>>2456014

Expectations -- A wage that would be considered "unlivable" by the average American man would be considered a huge increase in standard of living by someone from a poor third world country.
>>
>>2456027
Chinese*
>>
Its also a matter of infrastructure.
A first world country means everywhere is great. Or at the least the areas normal people live.

Basically: You import from nations where its not like that. So they are willing to work for less, in exchange for basic infrastructure being good.

The downside is that you aren't really gaining anything for doing that. They might want 20-30% less in wage, but that is generally not a lot of money.
And after working a few years, they might "change jobs" to regular pay elsewhere, and then its null & void.

>>2456040
For USA, its mostly this.
Basically HB1 visas isn't being used for what its suppose to, and it leads to this.
Minor to severe abuse.
Underpaid.
>>
>>2456014
Hahahah, how niave.

OP they live 20 to a house for a reason.
>>
>>2456014
The send the money back home dumb dumb.
>>
>>2456027
[Citation needed]

1. You are wrong.
2. Fuyao Glass is one minor example.
3. They moved because of US tariffs and non-tariff restrictions.
>>
>>2456014
Because they don't mind living at the "bottom" of the US economic ladder because people who live there are still considered middle class (for the most part) in relativity to the rest of the world.
>>
If you have a constant flow of unskilled, wage-labourers flowing into the country this makes competition for even the shittiest jobs very heavy thus driving the wages down since it gives more negotiating power to the boss. It also takes away negotiating power from the workers not just by having more competition, but by making unionising and striking more difficult by having a million foreign workers lining up to replace them.

In short immigrants=scabs
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.