[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how does platonism deal with forms contradicting each other?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1479809287307.png (98KB, 748x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1479809287307.png
98KB, 748x1052px
how does platonism deal with forms contradicting each other?
how can two opposite forms (good vs evil, dark vs light, etc.) both be explained by a first principle?
>>
>>2453586
Is platonism dualistic? It doesn't seem so. After all, something that appears to be the opposite of something could just be a really bad form of what its opposite is.
>>
>>2453670
wouldnt that imply the corruption of forms has it's own form as perfect corruption?
>>
>>2453681
Can you have a perfect mess? Can you have perfect imperfection?
>>
>>2453686
No. that's where the contradiction is
in order to explain corruption you need a form of it
the reason i made this thread was because i cant see how only one principle can explain two contradicting forms
>>
>>2453702
what im asking here is how platonists explain this which obviously there are some modern platonists
>>
>>2453706
Do you not understand that darkness is the absence of light, not just in platonism?
>>
>>2453709
of course i know that
so platonists see the opposite of a form in something as a lack of that form, not an opposite form?
>>
>>2453586
Good forms are between two bad forms
>>
I'm not really knowledgeable on it, but thought I'd post this anyway

Isn't simply a thesis/antithesis dynamic? For "good" to be an existence, a defined something, there needs to be something that it can be defined separate of, the other

If there is "light" and only light, then light is all there is and you don't need to or even be able to define it as a thing, as anything, because you can't perceive it as something separate from something else

If you're happy all the time, how do you know you're happy if you don't know what not being happy is like?
>>
>>2453721
>>2454474
The distinction for Plato is in observable objects that APPEAR beautiful, just, good, and the eternal, unchanging Forms of Beauty, Justice, Good themselves, which are what beauty, justice and good really are.

EVERYTHING observable fails to be as beautiful as Beauty itself.

There are no "opposite form" of Ugliness or an antithesis to Beauty, because Plato has no need for them, he simply notices that in matter you can find plenty of ugliness, which is obvious since nothing can compare to the Form.

You have to use your mind, with the senses useful only as a launching pad at best (for example seeing two different constitutions can inspire you to philosophize on what Justice really is), if you want to know the Form Itself.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.