[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Newcomer" to History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: Old Man War Stories.jpg (143KB, 1024x807px) Image search: [Google]
Old Man War Stories.jpg
143KB, 1024x807px
Hello /his/,

I have always had an interest in history and thought I had a decent knowledge about it until I came here. The amount of detail you guys dive into only makes me want to understand more about your implications in an argument. I want to know what books I should start reading to get a true understanding of history. I'm am going to start a book version of a bucket list. What do you guys recommend?

>pic related I love color and colorized photos of the civil war/Victorian era to WWI
>>
>>2448110
Read American Slavery, American Freedom by Edmund Morgan. He is what I believe to be the best historian to ever live. And I think that is his best book
>>
A good way to tackle history (and the way they teach it to you in higher education) is by learning the material by normal academic means (lectures, reading history books, documentaries, etc) and then reading the documents of that era with both modern and period contexts.

For example, let's say you learn about the American Civil War. You would read a history book or watch a documentary, then read some of lincoln's letters, read some slavers defend the practice, read some abolitionists' arguments against it. What are the average union soldiers thoughts on the war? Confederate soldier? A slave himself?

I've alwayd felt that reading the documents themselves in context really brings history to life in a way that modern material on the subjects can't.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.