[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was currency initially distributed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: roman_rep_coin.png (426KB, 724x379px) Image search: [Google]
roman_rep_coin.png
426KB, 724x379px
Say the government in some ancient civilization started minting coins, how did this currency go into circulation? Did the government just buy things from the people using the currency or did they just initially hand it out for free?
>>
I have no fucking clue but going by gut instinct the former makes way more sense than the latter.
>>
>>2445353
I think a lot of the time individual generals minted their own coins out of the loot they plundered.
My guess is they gave it to paymasters who distributed it to soldiers.
For state purchases I think they used what I would call a "bonding" company that would hold a expected shipment of grain as collateral.
>>
>>2445368
>>2445376
They way I imagine it happening is government employees get paid in currency and then they purchase goods from the people who in turn have to pay taxes using said currency.
>>
currency was used by prehistory - its hard to poinpoint the first use, yet alone how it was organised.

chances are its introduction was far older than that, originally as barter object. A "ok, you dont need anything just now? I'll take your 5 chickens, I'll give you 5 of these shells. come back next time, and the shell is worth a chicken" style agreement of trade - or something like that.

a metal object being a consistent value by weight has existed in Egypt and Babylon/Mesopotamia for at least 5,000 years.
>>
>>2445465
Probably this desu.
Ask on /r/AskHistorians
>>
>>2445559
*upvotes*
>>
>>2445353
The bigger question is how did people come to value gold and silver. They were valued as used as a sort of currency long before the lydians minted the first coins.
>>
>>2446242
Because its:
1) rare, thus difficult to fabricate
2) pretty, self explanatory
3) stable, it resists damage fairly well
>>
>>2446420
I didn't ask why, I asked how.
>>
>>2446430
Neurological brain activity from detecting the gold via the sense organs.
>>
>>2446439
You're still not getting it. How does someone go from not valuing gold at all to using everyday as a method of bartering.
>>
>>2446453
Someone will accept it as a trade for something they have that you want.
>>
>>2446453
I don't think we ever had zero value for it. Native Americans swapped everything for beads, and ancient Eurasians probably did the same shit for gold and jewels. Humans like shiny shit, especially if they get to have it when nobody else does.
>>
>>2446473
Not an explanation.
If i asked you how pagers fell out of use or if i asked you how they came into common usage, what would you say?
>>
>>2446487
Need for the ability to reach people on the run and was accesable

Advancements rendered them obsolete as just as cheap alternatives didnits job better
>>
>>2445353
early money was made out of valuable stuff, you just handed people the coins and got equal value back, and then you later debased the currency to fiat to get more free shit from air
>>
It started as a form of "I owe you". I don't have enough sheep today but I'll give you 5 cowrie shells you can use to exchange for 5 sheep as payment for your carpets.
>>
>>2448821
Now use that kind of explanation but for how currency developed.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.