[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did modern science rise in the Judeo-Christian West?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: galileo.jpg (1MB, 2501x1865px) Image search: [Google]
galileo.jpg
1MB, 2501x1865px
I mean you had the Islamic Golden Age for centuries, China was more technologically advanced than Europe etc. etc.

then suddenly Galileo, Kepler and Newton come along and then the West started to fucking dominate math and science

why was this?
>>
>>2441428
Because the Reformation freed Christian's minds from Romish tyranny
>>
>>2441428

THEY TOOK OVER THE ACCUMULATED KNOWLEDGE, AND THE SCIENCES, OF THE ISLAMIC EMPIRE WHEN THEY CONQUERED PREVIOUSLY ISLAMIC TERRITORY.

THEY CORRUPTED THAT KNOWLEDGE, AND THOSE SCIENCES, WITH ARISTOTELIANISM WHICH EVENTUALLY PRODUCED EMPIRICISM, POSITIVISM, ET CETERA.
>>
>>2441470
Aristotle was right about everything
>>
>>2441428
The Christian faith and Greek logic/reason was married by medieval clergy.

From the 11th century onward rationalism was used to explain god rather than having god used to explain occurrences with a rational explanation. The church was quite compromising in that regard, if science put challenged a part of scripture this was not a problem. This lead to a rational inquiry into nature to show the greatness of god, until god was no longer needed and reason abondend faith.

Galileo is actually an example of that. The church's officials stated that if Galileo could prove the heliocentric model they would reinterpret scripture. This is also why the Catholic church accepts evolution.

In many other regions of the world science wasn't really studied all that much (think of China) or challenged by religion in the sense that the religion did not allow for rational explanation of god.
>>
>>2441559
>This is also why the Catholic church accepts evolution.
Unsurprising that Romanists use vain philosophy ("Science") to overrule the clear teaching of scripture
>>
>>2441579
Reading scripture literally is American weird ass Protestant tier that only arose because the continent was filled with scientifically illiterates
>>
>>2441579
Fuck off
>>
>judeochristian

Subtle OP, I like it.
>>
the mongols fucked the islamic world up
>>
>>2441428
If I were to guess, probably the adoption and encouragement of scholasticism which, after Europe pulled itself out of the "dark ages" with everybody who was vying for power finally getting their shit together, brought back appreciation for the knowledge of the ancients and their preserved texts.

Just a guess.
>>
Silk Road
>>
>>2441428
[insert answer that fits my ideology here]

see: hindsight bias
>>
My retarded theory is that it's just because civilizations can't last forever. It's a sort of spiritualist thing, there are always shifting paradigms of wealth and power in the world. The renaissance's material/physical causes you might say were greeks coming to italy as refugees, or more widespread libraries, or whatever, but the fact is that it wouldn't have happened if islamic civilization hadn't fallen at the hands of the mongols, because then there would be no void to fill. And islamic civilization simply happened to fall at the hands of the mongols too; were there no mongols it would have fallen anyway since civilizations can't stay culturally supreme forever, it's just not how it works. The river of time flows in a certain way always and anything that happens too fall into it gets sucked into the current.
"The west", the civilization/culture group as we know it today began its age of dominance in the renaissance and we can tell that age has been dying slowly over the past century.
>>
>>2441470
Not at all though. Physically, territory-wise, the ottomans dominated that. They didn't pick up the special spark from islamic civ though, just material land and manpower. The west inherited the special spark with the Renaissance
>>
>>2441428

Honestly I think It was the use of Universities.

Europe had more higher education than any other at the time.

could be wrong though. or could be a little right?
>>
>judeo
Sage goes on all fields.
>>
>>2442735
Early universities were all about theology, infact most protestant reformers were theologians from those universities
>>
>>2441428
>Asia
>Emperor of china burns every book in the kingdom
>Mongols kicks every ones teeth in
>Black plague finish whats left
>Commi china burns everything again

>Middle east
>Mongols wipe everything clean
>Islam drops the elbow finisher
>Haven't been the same since

>Europe
>Ceasar burns alexandria
>Germans burn everything rome
>Viking stole whats left
>Lots of back drives saved in other locations

The main reason why Europe rose up is because they stop burning knowledge centers like monasteries / libraries and they kept copies at more than one location otherwise the vikings would of sent mainland europe back into the dark ages
>>
>>2441454
k
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.