[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Born 1890, Died 1980

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: h.jpg (33KB, 600x594px) Image search: [Google]
h.jpg
33KB, 600x594px
Can you imagine the amount of cultural change and history someone who lived through the late 1800s to the late 1900s went through?

Christ! It almost can't be imagined!
>>
So they would've missed the fall of Communism?
>>
31 years old here. It's not much different than my life.

>born in 85
>by the time I'm 6ish, personal computers are widespread
>by the time I'm 13ish internet is widespread
>by the time I'm 16ish cell phones are widespread
>by the time I'm 22 smart phones are widespread

Pretty amazing in retrospect, but it wasn't an unimaginable change.
>>
>>2440232
Seeing the first flight as teenager
Seeing a man on the Moon as a senior

Did a technology ever evolve faster?
>>
>>2440249

It isn't.
Just an accumulation of gadgets based on the same computer revolution.

We haven't seen any massive shifts. The Arab Spring was a failure and it'll most likely be a return to business as usual in the MIddle East.
Eastern Europe is still firmly in NATO hands and will remain.
China will take its place in its own region a bit more, but won't risk a confrontation with the US the next decade or two, three...

The only thing we might see is the collapse of the North Korean regime in our lifetime.
I'm not expecting much fireworks.

We are living in a boring time. Sure, STEMlords. There's all sorts of technological leaps being made, of which we'll never see the full envelopment.
>>
>>2440249
In 85 I spent 2 hours typing in BASIC only to generate a bouncing line for a screen saver

Games for the C64 were actually broadcast via FM radio. You could tape the skkrrrriiiiiiisssshhhquuuueeeiiiigghhhggrr and then load it to play.

In 82 my dad had a car phone installed which requiered an extra car battery and an extra antenna.
>>
>>2440249
I was thinking about the just the other day. Pre-internet and post-internet societies, despite the internet having no more physical presence than a device that sits in one's home for most people, is striking in differences. Communication and information are relayed to the majority of humanity in near realtime. An event happens in Moscow, and people in Houston know about it within 30 minutes. And best of all, anyone can contribute to the information pool, individuals can weigh in on their thoughts and opinions on any subject and at any time.

I was born in 85, and even now I can scarcely remember a time before the internet and before everyone carried a cell phone on their person.
>>
>>2440970
I'm betting we see tensions in the US and Europe heat up quite a bit. Not to /pol/ post, but we're seeing a rejection of liberalism starting to gain traction again as people are becoming more and more unsure of the future. Perhaps that's not really much of a change because it's arguable that these reactionary elements were simply lying dormant after the 40s, but it seems like the first steps are being taken.

Still pretty early to say if this is a trend or a quirk of the moment though.
>>
File: k10544.gif (86KB, 344x505px) Image search: [Google]
k10544.gif
86KB, 344x505px
>>2440232
>>2440249
>Pretty amazing in retrospect, but it wasn't an unimaginable change.
>>2440970
>Just an accumulation of gadgets based on the same computer revolution.

Exactly.

>His study focuses on what he calls the “special century” from 1870 to 1970—in which living standards increased more rapidly than at any time before or after. The book is without peer in providing a statistical analysis of the uneven pace of growth and technological change, in describing the technologies that led to the remarkable progress during the special century, and in concluding with a provocative hypothesis that the future is unlikely to bring anything approaching the economic gains of the earlier period.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/08/18/why-economic-growth-will-fall/

>>2441062
>I'm betting we see tensions in the US and Europe heat up quite a bit.

This means [the] Europe[an Union] will whine, moan and virtue signal, but do nothing, since it can do nothing at all.
>>
there is still someone alive from 1899
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.