[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/ book lists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 27

File: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
Start_with_the_greeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
I'm making a list similar to this one for general history. Basically a guide on how to go from Ancient Greece to modern times as quickly as possible while still not half-assing it.

I'm wondering what /his/ would like to see on a general history chart. I personally have read enough history books that I feel like I could make the chart, but I don't necessarily know if the books I read could be considered the best.

Additionally, I was wondering what other charts like this you would like to see.
>>
Obviously Hitler.
>>
Roman
>>
File: 1484703004587.jpg (3MB, 4800x3834px) Image search: [Google]
1484703004587.jpg
3MB, 4800x3834px
>>2434129
theres already a roman guide, but its not as good
>>
louis xiv to end of the napoleon era
>>
yes that'd be gr8 op. whats the best way going about making charts?
>>
>>2434682
Make a shit one in paint and hope someone sees it and makes a nicer version.
>>
Recommend me books about Turks.
>>
>>2435524
ottomans or modern turks?
>>
>>2435524

osman's dream - finkel (1300-1923)
history of modern turkey - zurcher (1900-)
>>
File: Genoa Guide copy.png (2MB, 1440x898px) Image search: [Google]
Genoa Guide copy.png
2MB, 1440x898px
>>2435495
ok i'll post some of my charts and people can ask if they want me to remake it
>>
File: Charles II Starter Pack (1).png (1MB, 1435x872px) Image search: [Google]
Charles II Starter Pack (1).png
1MB, 1435x872px
>>2435664
I made this one for fun, but i realize i want to add a few more books so i'll probably make a new version sometime soon
>>
File: 1487891027565.jpg (907KB, 1161x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1487891027565.jpg
907KB, 1161x1280px
>>2435671
>>
>>2434240
What's wrong with Gibbon?
>>
File: 4f48bc92fe7e02bf06e811400dfff2a9.jpg (835KB, 1315x942px) Image search: [Google]
4f48bc92fe7e02bf06e811400dfff2a9.jpg
835KB, 1315x942px
>>2435676
>>
>>2433810
>Basically a guide on how to go from Ancient Greece to modern times as quickly as possible while still not half-assing it.
It would be a history of what is commonly referred to as "Western civilization", but I wouldn't start from the Hellenic peoples.

I would follow this roadmap:

Dawn of Man
Indo-European Linguistic Community
Ancient Near East
Greece: Bronze Age, Poleis, Hellenism
Rome: Kingdom, Republic, Empire
Middle Ages
Reformation
Reinassance
Age of Discovery
Age of Revolutions 1: Scientific Revolution, Enlightenment
Age of Revolutions 2: Absolutism, French and American Revolutions
Age of Revolutions 3: Commercial Revolution, First and Second Industrial Revolutions
Great Divergence, Colonialism, Imperialism
WWI
WWII
Cold War
Postmodernity

Needless to say that on each of these topics there is a colossal amount of literature, deservingly so.
>>
Might as well ask here.
I want to get into stoicism. Which book should I start with?
>>
>>2433810
Stalingrad by Antony Beevor must be on there.
Or any of his books desu.
>>
>>2433810
Anyone got any Austria-Hungary essential list?
>>
>>2435930
Thanks.
>>
>>2435879
>Middle Ages
too broad and vague. I'd divide up this category into:
late antiquity/ early middle ages (early germanic kingdoms [lombards, visigoths, franks, vandals] carolingians, anglo-saxons, irish, early byzantine empire, islamic [cordoba caliphate] and viking invasions, slavic migrations, threats from the steppe)
1000-1350- (ottonians/HRE, normans, rise of centralized english and scottish states, ""formation of france"", hundred years' war, kievan rus, early state formation in eastern and northern europe, the resurgence of the italian city-states and trade [hanseatic league], crusades [northern crusades, levant, reconquista, crusader ] and heresies [walensians, albigensians, hussites, lollards], decline of the byzantines), black death
1350-1650
renaissance, reformation/counterreformation, wars of religion, military revolution, humanism, italian wars, fall of byzantium, formation of maritime empire, rise of muscovy, golden ages of poland-lithuania and dutch republic and ottomans, rise of the hasburgs, decline of spain, rise of france.
1650-1848- "the ancien regime"
the rise of england, the rise of the fiscal-military states in prussia/france/britain/russia, the "second hundred years' war"[i.e. 9 years' war to napoleonic wars], enlightenment, scientific revolution, the "first-wave" of imperialism, revolutions [1688, 1776, 1789, 1791 (haiti)] napoleonic and french revolutionary wars.
1815-1920- the balance of power
imperialism 2: electric buggaloo, european and british hegemony, rise of nationalisms unifications [italy/germany] and romanticism, victorian england, liberalism and conservatism, official nationalisms (russia, ottoman empire, japan), the crisis of land empires (mughals, ottomans, chinese, austria hungary, russia), scramble for africa, the eastern question, great game, industrialisation, early globalisation, social, economic and political transformations "modernity", the rise of far left and far right ideas [1870-1920]
>>
>>2435940
not op but
>>2435696
i'll write it down on my list of charts to make. I may not be able to make it right away, but if anyone has any requests i'd be happy to make some charts. /his/ needs more reading guides
>>
Currently brainstorming some lists. I currently have the lists divided up as such:

Ancient Greece
Ancient Rome
Late Antiquity
Early Great Britain and Ireland
Medieval Europe
The Islamic Middle East
The Renaissance
France in the Early Modern Age (King Louis XIV, the Enlightenment in France, French Revolution, Napoleonic Wars)
Early Modern Age (Industrial Revolution, Scramble for Africa, Victorian Era)
Age of Discovery
Early United States (Beginnings, Revolutionary War, Civil War)
The First World War
The Second World War
The Cold War
Modern Middle East
China (all eras)
Japan (all eras)

These are all things I'm at least somewhat comfortable with. I couldn't even begin to talk about the history of places like India, Africa, or central and south america.
>>
>>2436026
1350-1650
meant to title this one:
"reformation and renaissance, or the early modern period"
>>
File: his reading list.png (2MB, 996x1190px) Image search: [Google]
his reading list.png
2MB, 996x1190px
>>2433810
>>
>>2436136
Continuation from this post. At the moment, I'm focusing on textbooks and narrative histories. I'll be including things like biographies, primary sources, and essays / critical analyses later. Here's what I got listed

>Ancient Greece
Ancient Greece: A Political, Social, and Cultural History (Sarah B. Pomeroy)

>Ancient Rome
The Romans: From Village to Empire (Mary T. Boatwright)

>The Islamic Middle East
A Concise History of the Middle East (Arthur Goldschmidt)
Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World Through Islamic Eyes (Tamim Ansary)

>The First World War
A People’s Tragedy (Orlando Figes)
The Guns of August (Barbara W. Tuchman)

>The Second World War
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (William L. Shirer)
The Second World War (John Keegan)

>Modern Middle East
The Modern Middle East (James L. Galvin)

>China
China: A New History (John King Fairbank)

>Japan
A History of Japan (Mason, R. H. P.)
>>
>>2436162
>tfw half the people on this god damned board think white people are superior because they live in the cold so you can't tell if this is a meme or not
>>
File: Roman Republic.png (473KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Roman Republic.png
473KB, 1440x900px
>>2436169
Ok, so I made a quick little list to help you on republican rome. I'll make a list on imperial and late antique rome. You don't have to use all the books listed but maybe read some reviews and see which are best suited to the purpose of a general list.

>The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (William L. Shirer)
don't use shirer. use richard evans or kershaw. If we want to put shirer on a list it should be in a list dedicated to "historical classics" (i.e. books that are written with style and verve, their stimulating ideas and questions (on which all following historical scholarship has had to address). For example, I listed Robert Syme in this list, but I'd argue he fits in the historical classic category because his work was a bombshell in roman studies and a lot of his ideas have been disputed. others would be gibbons, ranke, carlyle, braudel, hans baron, bloch, huizinga, elias, wallerstein or historians out of the mainstream (or popularizers) like toynbee, spengler, h.g. wells or durant.
>>
File: IMG_8148.jpg (321KB, 1210x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8148.jpg
321KB, 1210x720px
Here's some bibliographies
wwi eastern front
http://pastebin.com/pXpVr0cx
origins of wwi
http://pastebin.com/mVnJ5VBi
western front
http://pastebin.com/htFqdQea
Abbasid Caliphate
http://pastebin.com/VbrHP2NG
polis
http://pastebin.com/9Pg29qJj
greek federal states
http://pastebin.com/LyfZSp0B
greek history: hellenistic
http://pastebin.com/JQKwB1GT
greek history: archaic to classical age
http://pastebin.com/NuUZS3DH
greek military
http://pastebin.com/QkgHCewz
>>
File: Roman Republic.png (591KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Roman Republic.png
591KB, 1440x900px
>>2436483
added a bit more autism to the chart
>>
>>2436630
>>2436577
i'd put a seascape with a trireme
>>
Anything on the Mongols that isn't by Jack Weatherford
>>
>>2437087
the mongols, david morgan
>>
>>2436162
Wait, are Jack Weatherford's books considered memes here? I thought they were great.
>>
>>2437296
his book on ghengis khan is ok for an introduction, so i've read, but he has a tendency to exaggerate and makes a lot of conjecture not supported by the evidence.
>>
>>2435688
Its outdated
You don't teach evolution by using text written by Darwin, its similar with Gibbon. Good Scholarship for the time but contains a lot of error and biases.
>>
So we all agree that the following are out of date and should not be considered for the charts or kept under a "classic history" category (books that were important to the study of their respective history at one time but have become outdated in recent years):

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (Shirer)
The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (Gibbons)
The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy (Buckhardt)

Any other books we should NOT have in the charts similar to this?

Things like Herodotus, Thucydides, and Parallel Lives I would consider more like primary sources, and should be kept on the charts.
>>
>>2437087
The Mongols by David Morgan
Genghis Khan and Mongol Rule by George Lane

Both are read together, with The Mongols first. George Lane was a student of David Morgan and wrote his book almost as a response in some ways to David Morgan's.

Not really on the mongols, but I also recommend The Mughal Throne by Abraham Eraly

>>2437422
Jack Weatherford's Genghis Khan should be added on the DO NOT INCLUDE list
>>
>>2437296

They are good for an introduction.

>>2437436

Thanks
>>
Best books on the cultural revolution in china?
>>
File: cockroaches.jpg (37KB, 386x499px) Image search: [Google]
cockroaches.jpg
37KB, 386x499px
>>2435524
Here you go
>>
>>2436201
Good goy!
>>
>>2437422
well in a sense, the classical historians could, indeed, be put on the "classic" history list because of how important they are to the development of western historiography. However, there a lot of ancient works, so we might want to make a separate list dedicated to "historians of the classical age" or "ancient historians." On the other hand, we can make a list dedicated to all classics, divided between the ancient historians and historical works that we decide are of interest or historical importance.
as for the outdated historians, check the bottom of my post
>>2436483
i can think of a lot more but i need time
>>
File: sss.png (590KB, 608x607px) Image search: [Google]
sss.png
590KB, 608x607px
>reading books written by Anglo historians
>>
>>2437576
>historical works
I mean ancient literary works, mostly philosophy. but then again /lit/ already covers this pretty well. (unless, that is, we want to find secondary historical works dedicated to discussing the historical context in which the classical philosophers and playwrights made their works
>>
File: Cracraft.jpg (28KB, 346x499px) Image search: [Google]
Cracraft.jpg
28KB, 346x499px
>>2433810
Currently leading pic related (Major Problems in Imperial Russian History) for a class in uni. It seems pretty good, basically a collection of papers, book excerpts, and historical documents about the period.
>>
>>2437610
Oh neat, I've been looking for a good imperial russia book. is this the only one you've read?

Also, post more books you people are reading or have read for your universities. Those tend to be the best books.
>>
File: podcast tiers.png (842KB, 689x1624px) Image search: [Google]
podcast tiers.png
842KB, 689x1624px
>>
Adding to >>2436169

>Ancient Greece
The Penguin Historical Atlas of Ancient Greece
Early Greek Philosophy (Penguin)
The Histories (Herodotus)
The History of the Peloponnesian War (Thucydides)
The Anabasis (Xenophon)
The Campaigns of Alexander (Arrian)

>Ancient Rome
The Penguin Historical Atlas of Ancient Rome
Commentary on the Gallic Wars (Julius Caesar)
The Annals (Tacitus)

>Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome
Parallel Lives (Plutarch)

>Medieval Europe
Chronicle of the Abbey of Bury St. Edmunds (Jocelin de Brakelond)
Two Lives of Charlemagne (Einhard)

>France in the Early Modern Age
Napoleon: A Life (Andrew Roberts)

>World War 2 / Holocaust
Survival In Auschwitz (Primo Levi)

>General subjects
Art History: Gardner's Art Through the Ages
Mythology: World Mythology: An Anthology of Great Myths and Epics (Donna Rosenberg)
Religion: Philosophy of Religion: Selected Readings (Michael Peterson)

okay that's about all the books I could recommend for the lists
>>
>>2438017
Hardcore History sucks. I've listened to a few eps before I could pinpoint what it was that was annoying me. First, it's too long. He spends too much time rambling on asides, and apologizing to his (presumably?) more conservative or retard-tier American listeners about how the thing they're about to hear might shock them and blah blah blah. He should just to short formats.

Second, he does not come off very intelligent or comprehensive about the topics. Obviously he researches them, but I've listened to some and listened to his idiotic (often wrong) conjectures about points which he could just as well actually fucking research. He does not come off as knowledgeable about the societies he's talking about, making assumptions based on his American experience. It's a total facepalm. Which brings us to...

Third, he's a pleb armchair historian, nothing more. He can be 'entertaining' (I disagree, but I get how some might like this), and if you're totally ignorant on a topic like most of his listeners, I guess he's still better than NOT knowing anything at all.
>>
General recommendations:

>Nazi Germany / Hitler:
Hitler Hubris and Nemesis by Ian Kershaw
The Nazi Dictatorship by Ian Kershaw
The Third Reich Trilogy by Richard Evans
>Blitzed by Norman Ohler

>Holocaust
The Holocaust by Laurence Rees
The Origins of The Final Solution by Christopher Browning
KL by Nikolaus Wachsmann
East West Street by Philip Sandes

>World War 1
To Hell and Back by Ian Kershaw
Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman
The Fall of the Ottomans by Eugene Rogan
>A Line in the Sand by James Barr

>Russia
A people's Tragedy by Orlando Figes
Court of the Red Tsar by Simon Sebag Montefiore
The Romanovs by Simon Sebag Montefiore

>Misc:
Germany:Memories of a Nation: Neil MacGregor
Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan
What is History? By EH Carr
In Defence of History by Richard Evans
The Pursuit of Power by Richard Evans
>>
>>2438017
Add BBC History Extra Podcast somewhere, and Dan Snows History hit, both are pretty decent.
>>
>>2438256
When I was doing my DPhil we all used to have a running joke about Carlin and his pseudo form of history
>>
>>2437676
The Romanovs by Simon Sebag Montefiore is probably what you're looking for. Also you can see the reading lists publicly online for Cambridge and Oxford universities - their lists are usually fantastic.
>>
>>2438404
>Also you can see the reading lists publicly online for Cambridge and Oxford universities

Tried searching for those but can't seem to find them. Link?
>>
How do you bois think about Peter Brown?
>>
>>2439389
good book, if there's ever a list on late antiquity this should be on it

>>2439356
I think he meant something like this:
http://pastebin.com/vtkR25Cz
>>
>>2435901
I don't know anything about Stoicism, but the book I see mentioned most when discussing it is Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.
>>
>>2433810
Anyone have a Plato reading list or chart that gives a good order?
>>
>>2440145
Uh from my Plato teacher, we did
Euthyphro -> Apology -> Symposium -> Phaedo -> Meno -> Republic
>>
>>2440203
Thanks. Do you have a syllabus or anything you could share?
>>
what are some interesting books on warfare besides

>the art of war

>on war

>the book of five rings

Im looking for anything up to the introduction of gunpowder
>>
>>2440213
I can put some of the lectures I have on it up on a Dropbox, but I'm currently away from my computer. I'll report back in a few hours
>>
>>2440243
Excellent. Thanks. The reading schedule/list in PDF format would be helpful
>>
Anybody have one for Jews/ Israel?
>inb4 Elders of the Protocol of Zion, Mein Kampf, On the Jews and Their Lies, etc.
>>
>>2435901
hey friendo,

The three surviving classic Stoic texts are Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, the Enchiridion by Epictetus, and Letters from Seneca.

If you're looking for a modern text to get you into the philosophy, A Guide to the Good Life by William Irving or The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday are good primers.
>>
>>2440300
Rome and Jerusalem: A Clash of Ancient Cilvilizations

Basically gives a nice summation of the entire Roman-Jew History. It actually opened my eyes a bit about the causes of antisemitism in the Empire and in Christianity.
>>
>>2440325
I don't know how to phrase it well, but...is the book "red pilled" or is it "muh poor Jews" the whole text? Some of that is understandable, but I don't want to hear hundreds of pages of pandering.
>>
>>2440339
It's written by a expert in Classical and Judaic studies. It really is fair in its analysis of the causes and conflicts between the two states, and only ever really leans towards one bias by arguing the Romans were hyper aggressive at committing war, and the cause of antisemitism in Pre-Christian Rome was more the explicit celebration of The conquest of Jerusalem by the Flavians and Trajan for political justification. The Bar Kokhba revolt basically sealed the deal.
It really doesn't ever go into "muh Jews", it does emphasize how big of a deal losing the Temple was.
>>
>>2438390
Refer to the bottom of the list, retard.
>>
>>2440256
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2wwl6fq84986j24/AACQNEb0KuldewK-E-1PshM_a?dl=0

I've only found two of the powerpoints for it unfortunately, but here's the Euthyprho and Apology. We also used this book: https://www.amazon.com/Plato-Reader-Essential-Dialogues-Classics/dp/1603848118/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488403484&sr=8-1&keywords=A+Plato+Reader%3A+Eight+Essential+Dialogues
>>
>>2440985
Excellent. Thanks anon. Downloaded and will peruse when I get around to reading them.
>>
>>2438256
>idiotic (often wrong) conjectures about points which he could just as well actually fucking research
you just described lindy
>>
File: On Carthage.png (808KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
On Carthage.png
808KB, 1440x900px
bump with new carthage list
>>
>>2438017
The Great Courses are based.
Rufus J. Fears especially was based, I love listening to him
>>
bump, will make another for tomorrow
>>
How many of you guy's actually buy physical copies of books vs getting free electronic copies?

Which do you find easier to read, process and navigate through? I myself highly prefer physical copies, Hardcover almost always if it's available. I just find it so difficult to read and focus with ebooks.
>>
>>2442940
I'm a paper copy guy, but I definitely yield to convenience's sake with picking up free .epubs for my Kindle. I travel a lot for work, so it makes more sense to load up on ebooks.

Nothing beats relaxing with a paper book though.
>>
>>2443008
I got a kindle too, and while I really like it, it only has 4GB of storage. I fell for the Voyage meme, and I could have sworn that it had an external microSD card slot, but apparently it doesn't.

Oh well.

Also I agree about the paper stuff. It just feels so much to peer over the text in your hands as a physical entity, and it makes me feel much more "scholarly", as "memey" as that sounds.
>>
>>2442940
Depends. Most academic papers I will just read online. Things like Herodotus or The Prince, while completely free online, I would still just get a physical copy of. For one, it's fun to collect. Secondly, I can read on the go. I pretty much exclusively travel by public transportation so I read a lot on the go everyday.

The only time I've ever really sided in this physical vs digital debate that permeates in pretty much every medium is I almost never take notes on physical mediums (notebooks) nowadays and store my notes from my readings on word documents. It's so much more easier to manage my notes on digital medium.
>>
History of humans from the very first homo to homo sapiens sapiens
>>
>>2437523
>>
>>2443392
kek
>>
those are all mainstream books though, won't tell the real story. u got to go deeper to find the esoteric truth
>>
File: 1452332997001.png (9KB, 387x429px) Image search: [Google]
1452332997001.png
9KB, 387x429px
>>2443352
>It's so much more easier to manage my notes on digital medium.
What system do you employ to manage your notes? I obsessively archive and sort everything I consume or produce, but it's a mess of folders, to be honest. I wish explorers would be tag-based. ;_;
>>
>>2443742
I use google docs. Over 200 pages of note and its very easy to manage them or search for what I want.
>>
File: 1487399745166.jpg (606KB, 1854x2274px) Image search: [Google]
1487399745166.jpg
606KB, 1854x2274px
anyone have recommended reading on the French Revolution?
>>
File: IMG_7622.jpg (329KB, 776x959px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7622.jpg
329KB, 776x959px
For any of you fagolas who want Late Antiquity
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S6849002
>>
Can someone recommend books on the Shia?

Especially on the based Alevi?
>>
>>2433810
How good is The Histories by Herodotus?

Somehow I never got around to reading it.
>>
>>2444137
It's actually surprisingly enjoyable. I recommend getting the Landmark Edition, because it comes with loads of annotations, maps and essays explaining Herodotus' interpretations. It's also pretty cheap for such a massive tome
>>
>>2444137
Its pretty long and full of outdated content. There are some really good parts though. I much prefer Thucydides and Xenophon. I recommend reading certain parts (look online for a list of recommended sections), not the whole thing.
>>
>>2444106
Extremist Shiites: The Ghulat Sects - Matti Moosa
>>
File: Ancient Near East.png (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Near East.png
1MB, 1440x900px
new chart
>>
>>2436169
>Late Antiquity/Early Middle Ages
Inheritance of Rome by Chris Wickham, alternately his Framing the Early Middle Ages if you want something more scholarly on the same subject.

>Early Modern
The Pursuit of Glory by Tim Blanning; general overview on Europe from 1648-1815
Iron Kingdom by Christopher Clark; authoritative overview of Prussian history and culture.

>Early United States
The Glorius Cause by Robert Middlekauff (American Revolution)
Empire of Liberty by Gordon S. Wood (Constitution through War of 1812)
Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson (Civil War)

>China
Imperial China: 900-1800 by F.W. Mote
Generals of the South by Rafe de Crespigny; history of Wu during the Three Kingdoms period.

>Japan
The Making of Modern Japan by Marius Jansen; covers the Edo period through the modern day.
Embracing Defeat by John Dower; occupation era Japan.
>>
>>2436169
The map at the beginning of Destiny Disrupted triggers the fuck out of me, especially that it has Ethiopia listed as a country with a Muslim population of over 50%
>>
>>2445518
Wickham came out with a new book just a couple months ago called "The Middle Ages". Might want to add that to the Middle Ages category.
>>
>>2445560
Sorry, it's actually called Medieval Europe, not The Middle Ages.
>>
>>2439356
http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/tripos-papers/part-i-papers-2016-2017

That's part 1 of Cambridges history BA. All of those links have tons of recommended reading on a variety of eras and subjects. Also check out part 2.
>>
>>2445871
this is very nice
>>
Any recs on India/South Asia?
>>
Any charts for international relations texts?
>>
>>2447257
any particular period?
>>
>>2436483
>late antique rome
There really doesn't seem to be much that I can find or that looks interesting. Kind of sucks in that the last 150 or so years of the WRE is probably my overall favorite period of Roman history. I've tried reading Peter Heather's books and something about the writing style just doesn't grab me at all.
>>
Anything worth reading that covers the era of Napoleon III and/or the Belle Epoque? Seems like a comparatively cozy period.
>>
>useful thread

am i on the right broad?

anyway without timeperiod some that i found good and useful

Adam Zamoyski
Rites of Peace (russian campaign of napoleon and congress of vienna)

Norbert Számvéber
Waffen-SS Armour in Normandy: The Combat History of SS Panzer Regiment 12 and SS Panzerjäger Abteilung 12, Normandy 1944, based on their original war diaries

Norber Számvéber
The Sword Behind the Shield
A COMBAT HISTORY OF THE GERMAN EFFORTS TO RELIEVE BUDAPEST 1945 - OPERATION 'KONRAD' I, III, III

Peter Padfield
Himmler
>>
>>2443355

Bump
>>
Since this is also
>&Humanities
I'm requesting sources on the romantic period, either lists or infographs

I want to stuff on the entire romantic zeitgeist, the particulars and generalities. From art to history to science to religion.
>>
>>2433810
Here's a list of the best overarching works on German colonialism:

>Magic Lantern Empire: Magic Lantern Empire
Colonialism and Society in Germany - John Phillip Short
>German Colonialism in a Global Age - Bradley Naranch and Geoff Eley
>The Devil's Handwriting - George Steinmetz
>The German Colonial Experience - Arthur Knoll and Herman Hiery

Tanganyika/Deutsch Ostafrika
>Emancipation without Abolition - Jan-Georg Deutsch
>Vilimani - Thaddeus Sunseri

Namibia/Deutsch Sudwestafrika
>The Kaiser's Holocaust - Casper Erichsen and David Olusoga

Togo/Togoland
>A Historiography of German Togoland, or the Rise and Fall of a "Model Colony" - Dennis Laumann
This is technically a journal article and not a book, but it's the best resource on German Togoland.

I don't actually have resources for Qingdao, Samoa, German New Guinea or German Oceania.
>>
>>2448780
Haven't read it but Tim Blanning has a book called The Romantic Revolution about romanticism. I really liked Pursuit of Glory so it's likely to be at least pretty good.
>>
I just ordered this, is it alright?
>>
>>2440316
Thank you very much!
>>
>>2437582
this
>>
>>2449978

>Charles 'petulant entitled babyman' de Gaulle
>great

I can already tell it'll be shit.
>>
>>2450196
t. anglo
>>
>>2442940

I'm poor so I went the digital route. But even then, the search function on digital is practical as fuck.
>>
>>2448361
i've assembled a large list and i'll turn it into a chart soon
>>
how many pages a day do you read generally?

how much would you say you retain from a single reading session?
>>
>>2452495
Honestly, it's all really determined on how well of a writer the author is. If he just recites dry facts and dates, it's a long hard read. If he uses much more colorful language and draws parallels and connections and interpretations, it's much more enjoyable and easier to read and thus more pages get read as a result.

Just depends on the author man.
>>
Naval Combat
>The Influence of Sea Power Upon History 1660-1783, Mahan
Literally the most important book in naval history.
>Castles of Steel, Massie
>Dreadnought, Massie
-The- books on WW1 surface combat.
>Hitler's U-boat War: The Hunters/The Hunted (2 books), Blair
>Silent Victory, Blair
Sub combat in WW2
>Neptune's Inferno, Hornfischer
Great book about the clusterfuck that was Guadalcanal
>Shattered Sword, Parshall and Tully
Best book on Midway IMO

I've heard good things about Hara's Japanese Destroyer Captain, but can't seem to find a copy and am loathe to buy online when I've already got too many books. Ito's The End of the Imperial Japanese Navy is solid as a perspective from the Japanese side, but not something I'd put as a must-read. On the "things I haven't read yet but look good" side of things, I've got Cocchia's The Hunters and the Hunted, on the Italian navy in WW2, which looks solid given two of the four sections are based on his own experiences as a sub base commander and leader of a destroyer unit.
>>
File: 20170303_211608.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170303_211608.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
Currently reading The Sleepwalkers. Not a historian but work in architecture btw.
>>
File: 1482092725086.jpg (51KB, 460x644px) Image search: [Google]
1482092725086.jpg
51KB, 460x644px
>>2453056
same guy, but I would also like recommendations on the Aztecs or Mayas, the Mongols, perhaps the Spanish Empire after the Americas were first sighted, or if there are obscure events in history with some good books, that would also be great.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2453075
>>2453075
Literally all you need in one book
>>
>>2453097
What does it cover?
>>
What's a good general history on France?
>>
>>2453105
It covers virtually all that we know about Mayan history, art, culture, religion, warfare etc. Lots of pictures, lots of maps. It was cheap too.
>>
>>2453097
never trust a weeb
>>
File: Italian City-stattes.png (2MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Italian City-stattes.png
2MB, 1440x900px
new list... took many hours to make, but it's my best yet i think
>>
Gardners art though the ages is pretty good for all things art history.
>>
>>2453404
If I know absolutely nothing about italian city states which of these do you recommend i read first
>>
>>2453428
i've only read power and imagination and I liked it cause the material is so interesting. Wiley and Jones are supposed to be good introductions to the subject, but I can't really say because I've only read the one book on the list.
>>
What's a good general history on France?
>>
>>2453458
I know of no total histories on france. however, the i've read some of the oxford short histories of france and I've been pleased with it. They have books covering every era of french history.
>>
>>2453461
plus each is no more than 250 pages or so
>>
Any good books on European and Middle eastern neolithic?
>>
Any books on the Russo-Japanese War? The Habsburgs (I was browsing a thread with Charles II a few minutes ago and was amused at the inbreeding effects that resulted in his tardness)? The Tudor Dynasty or some of the more interesting English monarchs? Franco's Spain?
>>
>>2455594
>Franco's Spain?
http://pastebin.com/DhShAReV
ctrl f spain or franco
>Russo-Japanese War?
http://pastebin.com/jhkeMNJU
ctrl f japan
>The Tudor Dynasty or some of the more interesting English monarchs?
henry viii
http://pastebin.com/K4MRUESx
england, 1485-1642
http://pastebin.com/iY9Ps8Rt
elizabeth i
http://pastebin.com/tBCVpF9m
>The Habsburgs
>>2435671
for habsburg spain
are you interested in anything else about them? do you prefer spain or austrian habsburgs? cause i have a lot more works on them but i'll have to make another chart
>>
File: mfw_i_forgot_to_take_my_pills.png (335KB, 600x547px) Image search: [Google]
mfw_i_forgot_to_take_my_pills.png
335KB, 600x547px
>>2436201
It is not a meme, people believe in this in every board.
Protip: redditors believe it too
>>
>>2455717
>hapsburg spain

Where do you recommend to start? I have been reading Wilson's The Thirty Years War which has a focus so far on the Holy Roman Empire. But what are some of the more interesting parts to learn of the Habsburgs?

Thanks for the other books!
>>
>>2455761
j.h. elliot or henry kamen for habsburg spain. I've only read a tenth of the elliot book and I like it, but so far I haven't even gotten to the habsburgs and still on the discussion of castile and aragon in the late 15th century. But I suppose you want more of a personality driven history of the habsburgs? I don't think Kamen would give that, for example, but Elliot does focus on individuals, though it seems like he goes into a lot of depth about political structures as well
>>
>>2443715
Yea

I would like to have a chart for this, especially WW I and W II red pill books.
Thread posts: 141
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.