[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternate History Stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
I know this may not be the most appropriate board for this question, but I am a fan of both actual WWII history and alternate "What If" WWII Fiction.

I'm a fan of Turtledoves work, and figured some of you guys might be able to suggest appropriate reading that would be similar to his style.

I am also looking for multiple biases on teh same events.
For instance, I was given this book by a Marine friend of mine called Infantry Aces by Franz Kurowski. Its accounts of various battle fought during WWII from the perspective of german soldiers, compiled mostly from what seems to be research done by several former Wehrmacht propaganda officers that were recording lots of the best accounts they had in order to make the germans seem like they were winning. I love seeing every possible side or bias in a situation, because I feel like the truth is somewhere between those sometimes conflicting accounts.

I need this mostly for research purposed for a tabletop game I'm helping develop.
>>
>>2432543
>Harry Turtleshit
Only marginally better than Stirling who is the real awful one. Alt-his as a genre completely sucks dick.
>>
>>2432567
Conceptually, or just because of the quality of the writers involved?
>>
>>2432599
Probably the latter. I mean I guess a seriously devoted autistic academic probably COULD write decent alt-his, but nobody would read it. The established alt-his authors want their books to sell, so they have to cram them with aliens, tits, steampunk trash and outrageous anime-tier pulp bullshit so people would buy it.

I mean consider Stirling who wrote the Peshawar Lancers. It's supposed to portray a world where the northern hemisphere got shelled by meteors in the late 1800s, the British empire had to evacuate to the Raj and the world got stuck with Victorian level technology for 200 years. I mean, okay. But then the author introduces cannibal psychic Russians living in Samarkand who worship Chernobog, a Slavic pagan god, for absolutely no reason other than the author thinking it sounds cool.

Not to mention a ton of lazy writing and just outright refusal to butterfly effect the events thoroughly.
>>
>>2432615
Yeah, the game I'm working on has some magical realm dieselpunk stuff in it, but I'm trying to keep a semi straight-faced tone to it.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.