[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Colosus fact or fiction?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: Colossus-of-Rhodes.jpg (211KB, 1116x730px) Image search: [Google]
Colossus-of-Rhodes.jpg
211KB, 1116x730px
Is the colossus of Rhodes real, or just something presumed to have been real because it's mentioned in some story somewhere?

I did a quick look through google scholar, any text that mentions it outside of a pop culture reference is from before 1960.

Not a single remain or ruin exists of it, no two accounts of it are the same from how big it was, to what it was made of, to what it looked like, and yet everyone accepts it as fact. Why?
And if it was real can somebody please show me the evidence for it or do I just have to accept that a few dudes in the past wrote about it so it had to have been real? I understand that theres certain things in history that we do take historical accounts as they only evidence but they generally arent for some random structure that varies in shape, form and size depending on account.
>>
>>2432076

You're assuming there was only one Collosus, and that any free standing construction like that would last any meaningful amount of time in an area as tectonically active as greece.

You're also overlooking the way that it's fairly unlikely any greek scholars got as far south as Rhodesia to see it in the first place.

(so yeah, it probably didn't exist, or if it did exist, it was just a slightly larger than usual statue more than the harbour straddling nudist fucker it's usually depicted as)
>>
File: franco kek.jpg (36KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
franco kek.jpg
36KB, 720x540px
>>2432160
>it's fairly unlikely any greek scholars got as far south as Rhodesia to see it in the first place
>>
>>2432076
>I understand that theres certain things in history that we do take historical accounts as they only evidence but they generally arent for some random structure that varies in shape, form and size depending on account.
Why do you hate fun op?
>>
So is The Colossus of Rhodes just the worlds greatest history meme? It seems as though no serious scholar is going to admit its fake but when questioned say its probably not a real thing. And yet the general public, the consumers and reproducers of history hold onto it and regurgitate it like there life depends on it.
>>
>>2432382
Reminds me of the holocaust.
>>
>>2432076
Apparently the remains just sat in Rhodes for about 800 years, until the Arabs conquered the area and melted down the bronze
>>
>>2432403
so your telling me that they burnt whatever evidence there was? sounds familiar.
>>2432384
>>
File: 1480297324375.jpg (214KB, 444x467px) Image search: [Google]
1480297324375.jpg
214KB, 444x467px
>>2432160
>You're also overlooking the way that it's fairly unlikely any greek scholars got as far south as Rhodesia to see it in the first place.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.