[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who preserved Classics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: socarab.jpg (53KB, 458x375px)
socarab.jpg
53KB, 458x375px
Hey guys, I had a quick question. I keep reading and hearing contradictory things with respect to the preservation of Classic works by the Muslims and Christian Monks.

Version 1: The monks did nothing to preserve classic texts; or alternatively they nefariously kept them hidden. The Muslims were the ones who kept them and they reintroduced it to Europe.

Version 2: The monks were bro-tier and were the only ones in Europe who preserved the texts. Its them that deserve the credit.

I'm assuming the truth is somewhere in the middle?
>>
And this is throughout the period of the Middle Ages? Islamic Golden Age was 8-13th centuries. Or am I conflating different things?
>>
>>2420855
Monks preserved some texts and muslims preserved others. We had to take the muslim ones by force.
>>
>>2420855
It was an Arabic thing to translate greek works, usually for stately gain, it was a personal things some monks did.

So there is that. The monks also translated too Latin, a now dead language we really have no idea how it actually works.
>>
>>2420881
>So there is that. The monks also translated too Latin, a now dead language we really have no idea how it actually works.
that cant be true, we do know how latin worked
>>
>>2420871
>>2420881
which preservation did we come to benefit more from?
>>
>>2420906
>we do know how latin worked
No, we don't. We know how some, maybe most of it works, it is a "dead language" for a reason.
>>
>>2420855
So here's what happened. Around the 6th century there was a large movement among Aramaic speaking scholars in Egypt and Syria to translate lots of Classics. When the Arabs conquered the region a century later, these scholars and their works went with them as they entered the bureaucracy. A generation later there was demand for Arabic translations of these Aramaic texts, which were then spread from Spain to Iran as influential Muslim scholars started reading and debating them, and writing treatise after treatise about their debates until the point where the original Classics weren't as important as these treatises on them. When the later Christian kings of Spain and Sicily got a hold of Arab libraries, they began introducing these treatises which helped introduce a new way of looking at and interpreting the Classics to Europe.

Meanwhile monasteries preserved the original texts, but mostly as an exercise in monastic discipline and as a rare reference for Medieval courtly scholars. It's not until the treatises on the Muslim debates that Christian monks began to look at the Classics in a brand new light.

So the Muslims preserved the Classics indirectly by introducing their concepts as something to be debated within an Abrahamic world view as opposed to static ancient wisdom whose sole purpose was as a reference text for educating bureaucrats and increasing monastic literacy. The Christians preserved the actual texts themselves, but didn't really use them for much else.
>>
>>2420911
Both are probably just as important in their own right.

I am not saying one is better than the others. Moreso saying it was institutionalised from the start in Arabic and Islamic culture, but it was a couple of standout monks which did it in Europe.
>>
>>2420855
>Version 1: The monks did nothing to preserve classic texts; or alternatively they nefariously kept them hidden.

Stop listening to fedoras.
>>
>>2420922
not so much fedoras in this case but people with a pro-muslim/anti-west narrative. Not that im a eurocentric. Eurocentrism and anti-eurocentrism are both everywhere so its hard trying to find the objective truth.
>>
>>2420918
Interesting. So I've also heard that Muslims got Classics from Byzantine Christians who preserved them. Is that true? Would that have been turk muslims? Were the turk muslims a part of the golden age or is my time-table off here?
>>
>>2420985
This would have been before the arrival of the Turks in large numbers. What happened was that Abbasid interest in Classics translations so outpaced what was already available in Syria and Egypt that they began trading for and even demanding them in peace treaties. The Byzantines had a substantial collection, but even more than the Latins they used them as a training tool for their bureaucracy. What made the Muslims unique in their approach to the Classics was a private knowledge economy, rather than bureaucracy. In Latin Europe you read Classical philosophy because you needed to copy it to keep yourself busy and focused on living a simple live devoted to God. In Byzantium you read it in order to understand it the same, Church-approved way that would get you a position within the imperial government or church. But in the Islamic world, you probably read it because everyone else was shitposting each other about it outside of their actual jobs as judges or doctors, and you didn't want to be left out.
>>
>>2420855
In the middle. Latin and Islamic scholarship interacted far more often than you think.

>>2420871
You are incorrect. There was a lot of interplay, especially in philosophy, between arabic and latin texts, few to none of which being based on any kind of extortion.
>>
>>2421022
wow this is interesting as fuck
>>
>>2420918
>Aramaic speaking scholars in Egypt and Syria
who were Christian
>>
>>2421536
? And? So were the monks and priests in Europe and Byzantium.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.