[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harry Turtledove

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Guns_of_the_south.jpg (57KB, 298x475px) Image search: [Google]
Guns_of_the_south.jpg
57KB, 298x475px
Anyone here a fan of alternate history? I'm really wasn't until my history teacher told us about this writer and bunch of crazy alternate history books he wrote. White Supremacist going back in time and giving General Lee AK-47's, Aliens invading earth in the middle of WW2, the South gaining independence leading to a American-German alliance during WW1 and trench warfare in Kentucky. It's not high art but it can be fun.
>>
>>2417615
For stories more grounded, try Peter G. Tsouras's Dixie Victorious. It contains 10 essays from 10 different historians on how the South could have won the war. My favourite is when Lee supports Cleburne's proposal to arm the slaves in exchange for their freedom.
>>
>>2417615
I have some issues with his writing, but I find it fun to think about the scenarios he presents myself, do my own research, and come to my own conclusion. It's a fun exercise, and can lead you to finding out new things.
>>
>>2417628
The thing that annoys me about so much of alternate history is that it usually involves some kind of ridiculous nonsense. This is exactly what I want; down to Earth scenarios which are actually plausible.
>>
>>2417615
Turtledove's series in which the South wins the Civil War because of a un-dropped order was good. There's no science fiction or magic stuff. It's straight up alternate history.

In general I like alternate history as a mental exercise. It makes you think about key moments in history.
>>
>>2418482
>>2418925
There's several things I don't like about Turtledove. First, his characters are always a little stiff and strange, they tend to start becoming identical after a while. This and other issues with his writings always seem to create rather dead, and isolated seeming worlds. Next is his usage of magic which is always goofy and unnecessary, the Videssos series had a pretty neat premise, but the insertion of magic, especially magic as a nearly everyday occurrence came off as uninteresting to me.

Also no one ever talks about how fucking creepy After The Downfall is, I mean the implication that this Jewish writer is sitting down and typing hundreds of pages of sexual racial domination erotica
>>
Alt-history is by definition NOT history. Go to /lit/.
>>
>>2418925
The first trilogy of Southern victory was great. It really dropped off once he stopped being interested in a plausible alternate history and went straight for "literally Hitler."
>>
Worldwar is every online alt-his "novel" ever written, except it's actually enjoyable

Red Alert is also a fun scenario
>>
>>2417615
The Hot War is shaping up a lot better than his previous stuff
>>
>>2419126
Really? Where can I find them?
>>
>>2419143
Really? Does he still repeat himself every 10 pages?
>>
>>2419143
Is it still filled with poorly written sex that becomes more frequent as the series goes on? I always felt that was the most out of place part. It starts off with little to none, then ramps it up more and more.
That is why cross time was my favorite series of his, they never got that because they were intended for younger audiences.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.