[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best Bible translation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: bible1.jpg (466KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
bible1.jpg
466KB, 1536x1152px
What is the best Bible translation?
>>
>>2416763

NASB is probably the least bad.
>>
King James Version.
>>
>>2416890
The language is certainly flowery but I don't think it's a very good translation overall
>>
>>2416941

It's not even really a translation. They feel a need to fix things in it, so deliberately change stuff from the manuscripts they were supposedly working from in order to promote a text that's more accurate to then current exegesis and less to the actual Greek; for instance, take how Mark's Ἠσαΐᾳ, Isaiah, becomes "the prophets" because the subsequent part isn't in Isaiah.
>>
File: 1424727149564.jpg (391KB, 1374x1425px) Image search: [Google]
1424727149564.jpg
391KB, 1374x1425px
>>2416941
>Implying "flowery language" is good.
>>
>>2416956
Why not? The Bible isn't an ordinary test it's supposed to inspire and inflame your faith, the language used is part of that. Would it be inspiring if it said "God really loved the world, so he sent Jesus down to die and now all of us get to live forever!"?
>>
>>2416979
>I determine what the Bible is supposed to do for you

Are you God? Is not the Bible supposed to bring forth my own meaning and personal connection with God?

I don't understand why justifying a 17th century purple prose translation other than LARPing and rose tinted glasses for an era you never lived in.
>>
>>2416763
KJV or ESV
>>
KJV.

It's the preserved Word of God in the English language.

Stay away from modern perversions, which mutilate the scripture and take away verses.
>>
>>2416997
>mutilate the scripture

Pot, meet kettle.

http://biblehub.com/interlinear/study/mark/1.htm
>>
>>2416989
I already said I didn't consider the KJV a good translation buddy, I'm just saying flowery language is not inherently bad.
>>
File: Douay-Rheims.png (577KB, 500x747px) Image search: [Google]
Douay-Rheims.png
577KB, 500x747px
>tfw no-one respects the Douay-Rheims translation
>>
>>2416979
Sacred scripture is supposed to transmit information regarding the absolute, and the divine, not intoxicate you with zeal.

Simple, direct, and consistent language, is the best way to do that.

Also, what you described is not simplicity, but vagueness.
>>
Whats the best Orthodox bible?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.