[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ancient British history.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: cup and ring.jpg (138KB, 440x550px) Image search: [Google]
cup and ring.jpg
138KB, 440x550px
Do any of you /his/torians know anything about stones like pic?
I live in the moorland (high ground) in North Yorkshire, England. These things are very common. They're also common in Scotland.
They're labelled 'cup and ring' markings. And predate written history.

I find them utterly puzzling. No one knows their purpose. I have a theory that they show mountain contours like a map, and show fresh water sources. But it's just a hunch.
Who made them?, why did they make them?, What is their purpose?
I'm baffled.
>>
>>2403437
They come from the Elven folk who lived in the Britannian realm before the coming of men.
>>
Redheads r hot
>>
>>2403437
>Do any of you /his/torians know anything about stones like pic?
>No one knows their purpose.

So, no.

>I have a theory that they show mountain contours like a map, and show fresh water sources. But it's just a hunch.

A way to test it, do the ones close to each other show some of the same pattern, like they are showing the same mapped features? If there are three in a rough line, A, B and C, does B show some features in common with A, and some common with C?
>>
>>2403437

An interesting theory - as >>2403887 says, you should get some diagrams together and test it. I would think a corpus of them has probably been published.

I think that your theory is unlikely to be correct - but it needs to be tested first. Even if you're wrong, the investigation is worthwhile.

Also, I'd recommend to you Ronald Hutton's 'Pagan Britain'. Deals well with British pre-history.
>>
It could be a marking to follow the sun. This is very common within shamanism. They would have certain spots in a stone they would mark (they would choose a stone for permanency) so they could measure where the sun or the moon were. This is probably also what Stonehenge was for.

This can be very useful. If for instance you know where the sun is on winter solstice, you know when it will be warmer again, which means you can predict the seasons, which enables you to have agriculture
>>
Has anyone done any tests on these? Just speculating but it could have been used to melt metals, maybe in a religious ceremony to make a religious symbol.

The indentations are the foundations of a clay furnace. The rings are used to house fuel, the cup is where the molten metal would be. A channel from the cup to the outside could have allowed metal to flow to a mould.
>>
Ancient Britons built them during the Anglo-Saxon invasions to confuse future English historians.

Legend has it if you stand outside Plaid Cymru HQ on the 1st of March you can still hear them laughing about it.
>>
>>2403437

They're probably clan territory markers. The patterns are reminiscent of the circular barrow mounds and trackways associated with pre-European religion in Britain (as at Stonehenge).
>>
>>2404138

They're WAAY older than the Celts you moron.
>>
File: joke over head.gif (22KB, 483x471px) Image search: [Google]
joke over head.gif
22KB, 483x471px
>>2404405
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.