[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Organic psychedelic use in pre-history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Food of the gods.jpg (13KB, 135x200px) Image search: [Google]
Food of the gods.jpg
13KB, 135x200px
Hello /his/. I was wondering if any of you have read this book before, or anything similar and would care to discuss it.

I'd like to find out about the critical reception of his thesis. Is it widely regarded as bullshit?

I'd also like to know whether you personally see any merit to his ideas. Going into the book I thought it would be a load of hogwash, but the examples provide strong support to his theory.

After reading this it has kind of sent me down a psychedelic history rabbit hole. Having used a number myself I find myself agreeing with him. Psychedelic plant use is an integral part of the human experience which in the past has been used as a powerful tool for shaping society and improving the life of the people who live within it.

HOWEVER: I do recognise that most authors writing about psychedelics are going to be pretty biased in their favour, perhaps reading in causation to history where there is only correlation. If anyone could provide me with history books not exclusively about psychedelics, but which perhaps indicate or mention their use amongst cultures from the past.

Cheers in advance
>>
>>2401936

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE
>>
>>2401948
>>2401948
>>2401948
>>
>>2401948

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
>>
>>2401969

It's actually more about psilocybin.
>>
>>2401936
The only thing I know is that for funerals the Scythians would gather as family and friends in sweat lodges and burn bundles of cannabis.
>>
>>2401969
Yea there is only sporadic discussion of marijuana. He basically says that use of marijuana causes similar societal/cultural effects to psilocybin, but because it isn't as powerful a drug, the extent of those effects is less.
>>
>>2401997
Thanks for the information friend
>>
Haven't read the book, so I can't comment on it.
We know that plenty of ancient cultures used hallucinogenic drugs for rituals. Peyote is famous in the US. In South/Central America there were various groups that used other plants like San Pedro cactus (also mescaline), morning glory seeds (LSA), and various plants that contain DMT.
>>
>>2401997
>Scythians

B
A
S
E
D
>>
>>2401936
One of my books on Japanese shamanism argues that the use of psychedelics was always considered the inferior path compared to long austerities such as prayer and meditation to achieve a vision.
>>
>>2401936
>Psychedelic plant use is an integral part of the human experience which in the past has been used as a powerful tool for shaping society and improving the life of the people who live within it.

Yeah, but I think people like McKenna are being disingenuous by attempting to compare its strictly-ritualistic/religious usage in older societies to the almost entirely recreational usage of those hallucinogens now
>>
>>2402267
It's hard for there to be any ritualistic usage when you can wind up in prison for possessing or growing psychedelic plants.
I'd argue that there's little difference from a legal standpoint anyway. A person's reason for ingesting a psychedelic is irrelevant to a third party observer.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.