[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what exactly is neoplatoism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1485584203191.png (337KB, 1144x888px)
1485584203191.png
337KB, 1144x888px
what exactly is neoplatoism
>>
>>2401670
I fucking hate memes.
>>
File: 1487290103729.jpg (37KB, 400x590px) Image search: [Google]
1487290103729.jpg
37KB, 400x590px
>>2401688
Kek >on 4chan
>>
>>2402512
Memes ruined 4chan.
>>
From what I know about it, it's a philosophy expanding upon Plato's philosophy after it started to degenerate. It focus on forms and mysticism.
>>
>>2402518
4chan ruined 4chan
>>
Christianity
>>
>>2401670
An exercise in controlling the masses,While getting more people to believe in God, it in fact got them much further away from what God really is,
>>
>>2401670
A response of ancient western (Greek) civilization to the cultural and societal fallout resulting from the collapse of the Byzantine Empire.

As the Renaissance began, Neoplatonism also arose in an attempt for these people to try to find meaning again in a world full of chaos and uncertainty. This need was generally filled by Christianity, but Neoplatonic thinkers desired something else than the teachings of Jesus Christ to understand their place in this new world that no longer had the ancient foundations of Greece and Rome to set itself upon.
>>
>>2402767
What? Neoplatonism existed at the same time as early Christianity. Julian the apostate was a neoplatonist.
>>
>>2402767
Forget everything I said about the Renaissance and instead apply it to the 4th century and the fallout of the western Roman Empire. People were confused and didn't understand what kind of new order was developing, and Christianity and Neoplatonism arose as systems to help facilitate this understanding.
>>
>>2402772
You're right, I was talking out of my ass and only a minute later realized I was about 1000 years off.
>>
>>2401670
Founded by Plotinus, expoundation on Platonism. Not, as many people assume, linked with Gnosticism, as the Neoplatonists only viewed the visual world as illusory rather than evil.

According to Plotinus, all matter was composed of three substances, working similarly to the tritheistic doctrines of Christinaity, however the Neoplatonic substances were not equal, in fact it was a hierarchy.

The most pure substance is God, a power that emmanates throughout the world and all planes of existence, Plotinus' God was similar to the Gnostics monad.

Next came nous, or spirit, which is a copy of God, inferior, but still a copy

I forgot the rest, haven't researched it in awhile
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.