[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy vs Religion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 1470959507812.jpg (303KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1470959507812.jpg
303KB, 1600x900px
What are the differences between philosophy and religion?
Where does Buddhism fall?
>>
>>2400830
depends
Vajrayana/theravada is religious
Other mahayana is philosophical
Chan/zen is highly practical
>>
Religion = dogma
Philosophy = critically constructed body of knowledge
>>
>>2400868
philosophies can be dogmatic
I would say that religion necessarily has to have an object of
>worship
>>
>>2400836
This. There are many Buddhisms.
>>
>>2400868
I know what you're trying to say but the history of philosophy clearly shows influential philosophers defend rather dogmatic "philosophies"
>>
>>2400873
They can be but the ideal is for them not to be, like how Kant criticized the rationalists and empiricists of being dogmatists.

And yes, I suppose you're right with worship. But then we start falling into the apples and oranges problem.
>>
>>2400836
>theravada is religious
theravada is the most atheistic of them.
>>
>>2400894
but isn't it the most traditional and ritualistic sect of buddhism?
and doesn't all buddhism have an atheistic bent?
>>
>>2400830
None really. Both lay a framework for life. I suppose religion encampasses more things.
>>
Science asks how, philosophy asks why, religion doesn't ask, it believes.
>>
>>2400830

Philosophies are hypothetical approaches to life you can choose to follow. Religions are practices and culture based around beliefs.
>>
>>2402663
Nice answer.
>>
>>2400928
>and doesn't all buddhism have an atheistic bent?

More of a western meme, buddhists can be pagan as fuck.
>>
>>2400928
Atheist in the West perpetually subscribe to philosophical materialism. Buddhism certainly doesn't, even if the state of nirvana is separate from oneness with God.
>>
>>2400836
Vajarayana is more associated with northern/Mahayana schools and both revere scriptures that are not part of the Tripiáš­aka. Zen is also Mahayana derivative.
>>
>>2400830
Buddhism is almost Kantian to a T actually.

Studied under some fag who specialized in it was interesting.

Very similiar to Kant.

>>2400873
worship isn't hte right word. Some buddhists don't worship anything

Its more
>practice

Religion involves philosophy and intellectual pursuits but the average person doesn't intellectually study religion so much as practice religion.

Religion is something that causes you to do things in your life.

Philosophy is just thinking.

Theology is philosophy though. No real difference imo.
>>
>>2402858
>Philosophy is just thinking.
Philosophies such as stoicism or epicureanism are about acting a certain way and have metaphysics to go with it.
>>
>>2400928
Buddhists belivee in 7 hells, reincarnation, gods, demigoods. High levle monks can fly and teleport and do antman powers.

The whole Buddhism is atheism is just a reddit meme.
>>
Religion is philosophy you fucking spastics
>>
>>2402863
Then maybe those are religions? I don't know about this.
>>
>>2402867
They don't have worship service. That could be the differences.
>>
>>2400830
Buddhism is dead man. Haven't you wondered why no one practices it in India anymore? It was destroyed by Hindu philosophers. Learn about Hinduism, it's much better.
>>
>>2400830
isn't that a picture of the Budai, not the Buddha?
>>
>>2402877

Buddhism was never really widely practiced in India, as

>"Buddhism is Hinduism stripped for export."
>>
>>2400830
Religion is Philosophy for normies.
>>
>>2402976
This is simply not true.
>>
>>2402983
Can you provide some sources? Because a majority of concepts in Buddhism is based on firmly on Hindu understanding of the universe mixed with enlightenment and ascetic ideals of Jainism, it forgoes caste and social order of Hinduism to equalizing everyone at the same level as all have the potential of detachment and nirvana from the cycle of death and rebirth, which is also a hindu concept and so is the moksha from the cycle which is also debated and discussed in the upanishads that predate buddhism. Dhamma, Sutta is prakrit for sanskritic words for Dharma, Sutra. Karma is also hindu concept. Almost all the concepts are derived from Hinduism and is most definitely descended from Hinduism and is intrinsically related.
>>
File: 1377113950219.jpg (56KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
1377113950219.jpg
56KB, 449x642px
>>2400830
Depends on your definition of philosophy and religion.
>>
>>2400830
>Where does Buddhism fall?
Read the news.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.