[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Austria so shit at waging war?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1475031806255.png (281KB, 535x466px) Image search: [Google]
1475031806255.png
281KB, 535x466px
From the 30 years war to WWI they were the punching bag of France and Prussia.
Most of their victories were against petty Italian states or the Ottoman Empire, and even then they needed Polish help and you had things like the Battle of Karánsebes
They barely could even keep their empire without help from the Russian.

This was the "Empire" that was supposed to dominate Germany and most of Europe yet it kept being beaten and humiliated and they didn't seem to learn much about and step up their game.
They had plenty of time to strengthen themselves.
1866 is inexcusable.
>>
>>2394979
>keep surviving anyway
There's your answer.
>>
>>2395104
Well shouldn't a country learn from that? Maybe not having decades old military tactics and equipment might help.
>>
>>2395185
Their win/loss rate in war in better than Britain's and only just below France's. Obviously there's a reason they lasted centuries as an empire and Britain didn't, for example.
>>
>>2395196
They still lost important wars that greatly diminished their influence.
And them surviving may also have something to do with geopolitics and maintaining the "balance of power". Even Bismark didn't want to just destroy Austria because that would cause chaos as a result of the breakup into many states and it would be better to keep them alive.
>>
>>2394979
>Bella gerant alii, tu felix Austria nube
>>
>>2395384
>Bella gerant alii, tu felix Austria nube

Interesting quote.
Sadly I don't seem to find anything in English about this.
But i do understand from some German and Italian articles that this roughly translates to
"Wars may lead others, you, happy Austria, married." as in marriage policies with other monarchs are what gave Austria power.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.