[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was life like for Medieval mercenaries? For specifics of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: blackprincecrecy.jpg (135KB, 509x720px) Image search: [Google]
blackprincecrecy.jpg
135KB, 509x720px
What was life like for Medieval mercenaries? For specifics of concentration, the Free Companies of the 100 Years War.
I just found a book in my Uni's library that I'm going to look at over Spring Break, "Medieval Mercenaries: Volume 1: the Free Companies" by Kenneth Fowler, but I was interested if /his/ knew of anything else good on the subject/related topics.
My only other knowledge of the subject material is from unit descriptions in Medieval 2: Total War and the questionable accuracy of Maria the Virgin Witch.
>>
>>2390559
Alright, got paid to rampage around the countryside raping women, looting and killing, might die but you might die doing anything in those times.
>>
>>2390559
What I wonder is how long were their careers and what they did after, by forty or fifty they have to be near the end of their usefulness as front line solders. Would they have enough to retire? buy a small farm?
>>
>>2390943
either that or they became alcoholics
>>
File: IMG_1920.jpg (22KB, 580x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1920.jpg
22KB, 580x350px
>>2390559
It doesn't end so well
>>
>>2390559
>>2390943
mercenaries
http://pastebin.com/q3NKTU7J
warfare and military organizations
http://pastebin.com/1CJUquRp

Thomson, Janice E. Mercenaries, Pirates, and Sovereigns: State-building and Extraterritorial Violence in Early Modern Europe. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1994.
>A seminal political-science approach that carries on to the mid-19th century.

Prouteau, Nicolas. “Beneath the Battle? Miners and Engineers as Mercenaries in the Holy Land.” In Mercenaries and Paid Men: The Mercenary Identity in the Middle Ages. Edited by John France, 105–118. Leiden, The Netherlands: E. J. Brill, 2008.
>A study of miners and mining as used by both sides in the Middle East during the crusading period.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.