[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gurkhas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: gurkhas.jpg (90KB, 625x428px) Image search: [Google]
gurkhas.jpg
90KB, 625x428px
Tell me about them /his/. I know nothing except how badass they were/are. What about their culture, religion and history?

Also is Nepali and Gurkha basically the same or what?
>>
File: gurkhas.jpg (357KB, 1754x1229px) Image search: [Google]
gurkhas.jpg
357KB, 1754x1229px
>>2385083
C'mon guys, you must know something.
>>
>>2385083
Nothing badass about them, just a random bunch of mountain Chinks. The entire myth about them being the ultimate warriors or some shit was just invited by the Anglos for propaganda purposes, that's it.
>>
>>2385083
The short answer is they were poor cannon fodder for about a century as Britain steadily lost its old sources of manpower from other Commonwealth nations, and as Britain's military was downsized the Gurkhas were slowly reformed into an increasingly elite part of the army taking advantage of the relative poverty of its recruitment pool of poor Nepalese kids and the historically suicidal and disposable use of Gurkha soldiers to increase morale.
>>
>>2385417
>>2385448
Yes but what was going on Gurkhaland beyond fighting for the brits.
>>
>>2385468
Nothing much, unfortunately. That was partly the reason why there were so many willing recruits for the British to begin with.
>>
>>2385083
As for religion they would most likely be Hindu.
>>
>>2385845
What kind of hinduism? Is a pretty varied religion.
>>
>>2385083

Nepal used to border British India, during the Raj we would recruit Nepalese into the Army and this practice cotinued post Indian independence
>>
>>2385868
I'm pretty sure that Nepal was part of the Raj unless Princely states don't count.
>>
>>2385845
Modern Gurkhas probably are mostly Hindus however earlier during British service they were split between Hindus and Buddhists and native animist/shaman practice being the cultural background
>>
http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=39%2C4589%2C0%2C0%2C1%2C0

It says around 70% of British Gurkhas are Buddhists.
>>
>>2385882

Nepal ceded its southern states in exchange for continued independence (India kept the states post-independence). I think officially it always always regarded as sovereign, certainly to a greater extent than the princely states were
>>
>>2385910
I was confused because some maps you find out there mark them as a princely state. Although others don't.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.