[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did your grandparents do in the ww2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 21

File: privaterya.png (44KB, 633x465px) Image search: [Google]
privaterya.png
44KB, 633x465px
What did your grandparents do in the ww2?
>>
>>2383546

My father's father was a bit too young to fight in WW2, (Wound up in Korea though).

Mother's father was in the Pacific. Lost his eye in one of the Solomon Islands, forget which one. I remember him cleaning out his eye socket periodically.
>>
File: 1476841721433.jpg (76KB, 800x778px) Image search: [Google]
1476841721433.jpg
76KB, 800x778px
>>2383546
Is that satire? Lol

Anyway my great grandfather on my father's side was a tank driver in the 7th Armoured Division
My great grandmother on my mother's side was Irish but she went to Britain during the war to work as nurse
>>
File: 1456846401650.png (1MB, 535x592px) Image search: [Google]
1456846401650.png
1MB, 535x592px
My great grandfather became MIA in February 1942 somewhere near Moscow, another was injured during the Winter war so he wasn't drafted for WW2, and yet another was injured but survived the war.
>>
>>2383546

My grandfather was on HMS Rodney and took part in D-day.
>>
>>2383596
F

Got any stories from them, anon?
>>
>>2383546
My maternal grandfather was a T5 in the Army. All I know is that he served in Italy.

Paternal grandfather missed WWII, but was a truck driver. Said he delivered mortar and artillery ammo
>>
Machine gunned down Russians on the Eastern front desu.
>>
>>2383546
Starve
>>
>>2383614
No, they all died long before I was born.
>>
>>2383618
truck driver in Korea*
>>
Go up to the Finnish border and lied in a ditch.

Shot towards a Russian once.

Went home.
>>
>>2383546
One of my great grandfathers I`m told was a POW, the other was in London during the blitz and my grandmother fled to Scotland from London.
>>
>>2383546
Maternal side: Granny's first husband dropped bombs on England until his plane was shot down over the Channel. Spain veteran too, KG26.
2nd husband and actual Opa sat in some airfield office.
Paternal side: Opa werfed Flammen into Russian bunkers and sniped reds,12th Inf. Rgt., 31st Inf. Div. His brother played tuba and served as a medic in the LSSAH. Their cousin "fought partisans". No idea which unit. That one was a real bastard up to his end.
>>
>>2383704
>That one was a real bastard up to his end.
Why so?
>>
>>2383546

Father's side: My grandpa didn't need to fight because he was a veteran of the Finnish Civil War, in his 40s, and a father to like 6 kids.

Mother's side: My mom's dad was born in 1942, so he didn't do anything. My great-grandfather was an officer in the Italian army. Don't know if he actually fought or had a comfy desk job in Rome.
>>
>>2383546
break communist presses then some ugly fucking shit in NEI
>>
Burned
>>
>>2383748
Hard to describe. He was the one to slap the waitresses butt on my Opa's funeral meal. Stingy motherfucker but always first to the buffet when invited. He was openly nazi and always had that smirk on his face when the old guys talked about the war. "Y'know, partisans" wink wink.
>>
>>2383546
great grandfather fought for the British in the 1944 Burma campaign
>>
>>2383546

Shoot Germans.
>>
Maternal grandparents had a similar story, when they were kids they had to hide from ustashas and handschar division members. Grandma was born in the mountain during one punitive expedition actually.
Paternal grandma was just a kid and for her occupation was uneventful. Paternal grandpa was in POW camp in Germany, officer camp to be specific.
>>
Grandpa joined Dutch-Indonesian army.
Get's shipped to the East Indies.
By the time he get's there it's too late: Japs took over.
Straight to the camps.
Worked on the Birma railroad.
All kinds of torture and disease.
He makes it through.
Back to Holland to mary qt3.14.
Dies in 1987.
>>
Worked for the germans.
>>
>>2383546
German anon here.

One grandfather was too young to join the Hitler Jugend like his older brothers did at the time of the war. When it was over, he found a brown shirt and brought it home rejoicing. He told me that this was the saddest moment of his childhood when his mother immediately took it away and dyed it black.

My other grandfather was a Wehrmacht-soldier. Didn't see much combat, fortunately. Was stationed on one of the channel islands. Some decades later he returned there for vacation, he always remained very fond of the place.

My grand aunt was a nurse in a big German city at that time. She was responsible for the safety of the patients in one wing of the hospital during the time of the air-raids. When the alarm sounded one day, she couldn't find the keys to their designated bunker, however, and had to find shelter elsewhere. After the raid was over, she found the bunker completely destroyed. She was engaged to an SS-officer who never returned from the war.
>>
>>2383546
One of them was Royal Artillery, after Dunkirk he spent the rest of the war manning AA guns in Britain. The other was 7.
>>
>>2383546
Great grand mother almost dead in a bomb blast at a parking lot at a parachute factory in Texas that she worked at as quality control inspector. I believe the date was November 25 1941 a few hours after lunch. Yes that was before pearl harbor. Also a party of 8 Japanese businessmen had visited the day before... Lets just say that it makes me feel a little differently about Japanese internment camps.

Grandfather on my fathers side was a Seabee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seabee

Also died a few times to air strikes, later on his work site was bayonet charged by the Japanese soldiers. He ended up killing one with a bulldozer and got a taboo on his right forearm to remember it by.
>>
>>2384484
Almost died a few times to air strikes*
>>
>>2383546
At the end of the war, were American soldiers redeployed to China?
>>
Grandfather's brother went to fight the Russians in Spain's Blue Division along the Wermacht during WW2. Was captured by soviets in 1943 and remained captive in the Gulag until 1954, when he returned home.
>>
My grandpa hid a nazi body under his desk, which traumatized him
My grandmother's brother was starved to death in a work camp
My other grandfather hid in Groningen
My other grandmother saw a bunch of random guys getting executed by a firing squad, I think this was after a terror attack, I think it's the one Harry Mulisch wrote a famous book about
>>
>>2384743
>My grandpa hid a nazi body under his desk
Why did he do that?
>>
>>2384747

I don't know, some resistence guys told him to

He also probably would have been shot if he had been seen with some dead nazi
>>
Absolutely nothing. Rather happy about the whole neutrality thing.
>>
>>2383546
My Grandfather joined the Dutch army as an anarchist, wanting to sabotage the army from the inside. Thing is, he joined right before the german declaration of war.

So when they declared war he went from full-communist who was ready to sabotage the guns of his fellow soldiers to full on nationalist. He defended an airfield from german Para's but they had to put down there arms after the military surrendered.

He fled from the PoW camp and joined the resistance. He had a very hard time talking about his time as a resistance fighter, he once told me that after they captured and executed a Dutch-police officer for collaboration the Gestapo executed 10 random civilians from a village in the neighborhood. After that he never was involved in assassinations again.
>>
>>2383546
Paternal Grandfather was a Groundsman at a local Victorian estate run by Oblate Fathers, the Oblates took control of the estate from a Protestant Lord. They lived on the estate.

Maternal Grandparents were farmers in County Kerry, they migrated to London in the 50s.
>>
>>2383546
Grandfather was a member of right wing death squads, not even memeing.
>>
>>2383546
My maternal grandfather fought against the British in Khuzestan and almost got killed. Remained a Loyalist to Reza Khan until today.
>>
>>2383546
My grandfather signed up as a boy soldier at 15 and was moved to the Signals. While on training he caught a disease from a friend in the barracks whom subsequently recovered. There's an anecdote someone told me about my grandfather running around the base screaming in agony as all his nerves died from the polio he caught. He was permanently disabled by it and lost the proper use of his legs. He was invalided out of the army, though thankfully given a full army pension which still sustains my gran to this day. He didn't give up on life though, and set up a typewriter shop up on Edgeware Road which went on for decades. Anyone who uses physical disability as an excuse for unemployment is a tit.
>>
>>2384842
How did he knock up your gran if he had polio at 15?
>>
>>2384848
Polio doesn't destroy your pingas Anon.
>>
>>2384842
>Edgeware Road
My family used to live on the Harrow Road. Amazing how Kilburn is now a shithole full of non whites.
>>
File: 1424151458043.png (255KB, 501x529px) Image search: [Google]
1424151458043.png
255KB, 501x529px
>>2383546
On my father's side:

My grandfather never got drafted and had no real interest in joining up to fight the war. He hated guns and violence of any kind. He had a college degree, cushy engineering job, a wife and my Dad's older sister was born in the early 40's too. He didn't want to give that security up. He was a pacifist until the day he died.

My grandmother was a housewife at the time.

On my mother's side:

both were too young when the war hit, but if he was old enough he would have joined up. my grandfather loved the military but he was in that age group that was too young for WWI and Korea but too old for Vietnam. He eventually took up construction as a trade and would go on to help build the Alaskan pipeline in the 70's. He was also a huge hunter.

My grandmother would end up a housewife.
The contrast between my parent's respective families has always fascinated me.
>>
>>2383546

Jumped off a truck and survived the extermination at the hands of the nazis which was to follow.
>>
File: xmzynlyz2nqx.png (901KB, 452x679px) Image search: [Google]
xmzynlyz2nqx.png
901KB, 452x679px
My two grandmothers pretty much just moved to the "free" part of France for a while, then waited until the end of the war. One of them was from a rich family, so she almost didn't notice the war, her father was accused of collaboration, but the charges were dropped. Other than that, some estates were requisitioned by Germans, some factories bombed by the Allies.

My grandpa on my mother's side was a Spanish refugee. Never talked about his life before coming here, I just know he was a teacher. He was put in a refugee camp, escaped right before the end of the war, did some minor stuff for the local resistance.

Paternal grandfather was in the army. Father's family is an old rich noble family with a long military tradition, great grandpa was in the cuirassiers in WW1 (before they realised cavalry charges are not that great against machine gun fire), royalists then turned to more proto-fascist veteran organisations. When war broke out, he fought until we lost, then escaped to England. He joined the Free French Forces, fought in North Africa, Italy, then France. Came back home to find that the family estate was burned down by retreating Germans. His father had volunteered to be taken as hostage after the resistance attacked a convoy near the village he was the mayor of and died of typhus in a camp. His two younger brothers were executed after they helped out the resistance, one by the Germans, one by the Milice. They hated Jews and communists, but they just hated the Germans more.

After the war, he also found out that most of his mother's family (minor polish nobility, relatively rich landowners) was killed by either the Germans or communists. He became a diplomat after the war, working mainly in Asia. He's getting very old now, but I try to see him as often as possible. He's the one who made me love History.
>>
>>2383546
One fought against Mussolini in Albanian mountains and the other against Stalin (and Hitler) in the Belarussian woods.
>>
My grandfather arrived in Europe for the last few months of the war. Shipped over right after the Battle of the Bulge. He survived the war and died on a golf course in the late '80s. I wish I'd known him, everyone says we have a lot in common.
>>
>>2383546
Father's father was a kid at the time and hid on an island that got bombed sometimes during the Italian Campaign. His father was a deserter from the Italian Army.

Mother's father was a Murikan who was too young to serve in WW2. Ended up serving in the Marines in Korea. I don't know exactly what he did there, but I do know he got taken POW at one point. He liked to say "chink" a lot back when he still had his mind.
>>
Stayed home cos we are a peaceful clan
>>
My grandfather escaped a German POW camp and went to America
>>
File: 1485832145148.jpg (86KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
1485832145148.jpg
86KB, 350x233px
He commanded a unit (idk what it's called) of 100 churchill tanks in north africa and italy.
Apparently the fucker went to a military academy and had fucking house servants.
Mfw lower class now.
>>
One fought in the 82nd Airborne (his brothers served as well) and became a stock broker after the war, the other was colorblind and had leg problems so he did some office work in the states or something, he became a lawyer. My biological grandfather was too young but apparently was a Marine in Korea.
>>
>>2383546
My grandparents were all born 1949 or later

my Maternal Grandpa's father was a Tank Sgt back in WW2, saw action in North Africa and Italy. Not too sure what others were up to.
>>
They just did their normal work, shopkeeping in the case of my morther's side and banking/homekeeping in the case of my dad's side, because their country was not a participant.
>>
>>2383546
Fuck off back to riddet, you worthless worm.
>>
>>2383546
>US army ranger
>was somehow in Japan before also being at Omaha
The 2nd and 5th Ranger Battalions formed in April 1943
That makes it even less unlikely an army or usmc volunteer could have joined in '43 after finishing an earlier tour.
This story is basically impossible
>>
Grandfather was a Polish worker in Dachau near Trostberg during the war. He would put on a French armband (Polish prisoners were not allowed to leave) and go to Trostberg to drink beers and play cards sometimes, apparently my grandmother helped run a restaurant that he did those things at and thats how they met. Her father was in the Wehrmacht, not sure what unit, and was captured by the Russians. They didn't find out what happened to him until 1953, he died in 1949 in a prison camp.
>>
>>2383546
my great-great granddad worked on the nuclear bomb.
>>
>>2383546
my grandfather was an Italian citizen. He was too young to fight, but he was kidnapped by German soldiers and forced to dig fortifications for a while.
>>
>Mom's side
1944, crying and getting slapped on the butt because he was newly born.
no clue about grandma

>Dad's side
no idea on both of them.
>>
File: 1352787249482.gif (762KB, 300x170px) Image search: [Google]
1352787249482.gif
762KB, 300x170px
>>2383546
>He was a grouchy old Buddhist
>>
>>2383546
He was originally an officer in the Greek Army under Metaxas, fought against the Italians then later became a collaborator, was arrested after the war, but let out to help fight in the civil war
>>
>>2383546
Mom's father was an electrician for both Philly Naval Yard and New York Shipbuilding across the river in Camden. Did a ton of wiring on the Jersey and a few other ships.
Dad's Father was an electrical engineer in the signal corp. Served the early war in Cairo before being shipped to the Philippines. He "captured" a Jap officer who'd gone college here. Poor dude realized the war was hopeless the whole time, and was glad when he finally got a chance to surrender. Grandad was also part of the Atomic Bomb relay message. Him and his buds thought they were sending the go ahead for the invasion till the finally heard the news.
>>
>>2383546

One grand-pap served in some capacity. I'm not really sure what he did, but he served. His medals (I believe a purple heart is among them) are among the immediate family's most precious possessions, including the deed to the parent's house etc, in the safe. This grand-pap died before I was born so his life is fairly opaque to me.

The other grand-pap died when I was like four years old. I have a faint living memory of him from a few times, but that's all. He was also enlisted and served for a time, but he was discharged I believe, due to onsetting multiple sclerosis (he had been obliged perhaps to move around the country a few times in the course of all this) - mom described once how there was a suspicion/resentment among some that he was faking, but she wasn't "there" to know any of that - mom was the baby of her family, being born many years after this other military service. So mom got a family version and I got it third-hand.

At any rate, both grand-paps are buried in the same national military cemetery nearby, and I can visit their graves any time I want. the latter grand-pap's wife, my meemaw, died seven years ago, and so she's with him now. The other meemaw, my last grandparent to die, had long since divorced the first grand-pap, and so she is instead marked a few miles west, next to her sister.
>>
File: 1326440956552.png (78KB, 1122x629px) Image search: [Google]
1326440956552.png
78KB, 1122x629px
Maternal grandfather tried to enlist, was turned down for having flat feet. Paternal grandfather was a Sherman crewman in Europe, only other bit I know is he once survived a bullet or shrapnel fragment that bounced around inside the tank.
>>
my grandfather got ptsd from torturing a nazi to death. he was 16 and acting on orders from a member of the dutch resistance. bleak af.
>>
>>2387403
>torturing a nazi to death
That's kinda rude.
>>
>>2383546
Father's mother had to flee her home town as a little girl. Father's father was too young to take part in war. Mother's father got to take part, but not that many months. He rarely ever talked about it. One of the few occasions was how he told how a battle brother fell next to him. We even visited the grave.
Later I read how he lost most of his squad in beaching some island.
>>
>>2383546
Lost three great uncles during WW2, one of them was sunk by Das Boot
>>
>>2383546
maternal grandfather was only 11 when ww2 ended. Paternal grandfather worked on a sea plane tender in the Pacific. He was in the navy before the war broke out and he was at a basketball game when it was interrupted and a guy called out all the people in the military by name to report to their stations. He had a friend on the Arizona who died in Pearl Harbor.
>>
>>2383826
Wife's paternal grandpa was awarded a German Cross in Gold. Had his own Kampfgruppe in one of the battles shortly before Berlin fell. Even survived it. later sold the gold for his gambling habit.
Her maternal grandfather served on a minesweeper during the Norway invasion.
>>
>>2389958
Also an uncle of my Opa was a policeman who was responsible for the hanging of a downed allied pilot. A cousin of my Opa watched that.
That policeman, whose name was Adolf, is also responsible for another hanging of some Polish guy for impregnating a local girl. She got cold feet and claimed he raped her. Adolf served as policeman well into the 60s.
>>
My grandpa was a marconist (guy with the phone backpack), did boring much during the war, fires his gun once and missed, got caught by Germans and deported to a POW camp across half the continent to be freed ~1 1/2 year later
>>
Great grandfather killed Italians in North Africa
>>
>>2383546
Nothing, grandfather was legally blind.
>>
>>2383546
My grandparents were really young. My grandfather helped the resistance in the Netherlands as a small kid, and my grandmother got sent to Switzerland as part of some deal as she had asthma, and they didn't quite have enough food at home.
>>
>>2383546
Radio operator in the Pacific turned nuclear physicist
>>
>>2383546
>in THE ww2

they farmed in THE ukraine
>>
They were farmers in Cuba so not much
>>
My grandparents continued to farm. Grandpa was 52 at the time

They did however grow slightly less corn than normal as grandpa anticipated a labor shortage for harvest with all the men going off to war and they had a big operation by independent farmer standards. Grandpa also served on the draft board

Fun fact: he was born a few months before Hitler
>>
File: maximum_overfeel.png (401KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
maximum_overfeel.png
401KB, 601x601px
>>2383546
most of the family moved to the far east during the crop failures of south-west russia(/east ukrain too) in the 30s, lived pretty well fed and comfy from then.

A few of my great granduncles went back to the hometown of Voronezh to defend the hometown and family still left there. Most died, though some made it through the first couple of Battles of Voronezh to live long enough to partake in the Battle of Kursk, from which none came back.

One of my other great granduncles made it to Berlin.

tfw I will never get the chance to talk or spend time with them
>>
My grandfather fought in Manchuria, 1945, against Japan.
>>
File: arp365.jpg (298KB, 1325x1856px) Image search: [Google]
arp365.jpg
298KB, 1325x1856px
Paternal grandparents were air-raid wardens in north London (both had served in WWI as young adults).

Maternal grandparents: engine driver in Scotland (apparently had to stop in a tunnel once when a German air-raid began); granny was a housewife (who also traded in stolen sugar for eggs racket).

Both sides survived numerous Luftwaffe bombing raids.
>>
>>2391121
Same with my granduncle, he was naval infantry
>>
>>2383546
>Swam across a river under fire for a dare
>Was injured later and medically discharged
>Returned to London and opened a car door in a copper's face before driving away
>Turned up to court with crutches and in full uniform
>Never convicted
>>
Grew corn and soybeans in Iowa.
>>
chemist

died before I was old enough to ask him what exactly he did
>>
>>2391386
Nigger behaviour.
>>
File: IMG_20170206_145726249.jpg (1MB, 2440x704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170206_145726249.jpg
1MB, 2440x704px
Grandpa was shooting ruskies fuck out of Finland. Took couple grenade pieces under skin but still walk away after war and build a house, summer cottage and teach in vacational school till retirement.

Grandma was in healing patrol and what I know they met sowhere there. And yes, they were my father's parents.

Regards '91
>>
>>2383546
They were kids during the occupation of the Philippines by the Japanese. They pretty much just ran and hid from Japanese soldiers.

But apparently they got to witness the USN sail into Lingayen Gulf when they came back to the Philippines and see them bombard the hell out of the coast.
>>
>>2383546
One GF was a train driver, shipping troops, especially US troops, and equipment from one camp to another. The other was still in school, but his elder brother was part of a gun crew in the navy, died in the Mediterranean. One GM almost died in the blitz even though she lived in the countryside. Apparently the Germans had a habit of dropping any excess bombs wherever they fancy in order to make it back to Germany and one landed in the field just on the other side of the hedge from her house.
>>
kids
im 33 and my grandpa was a toddler when the war broke out

are you all bullshitting me, all older than me or your parents didnt have children into their 40s and thats why you are all a bit crap in the head?
>>
>>2392957
I'm 25 and my grandfather was born in 1921.
>>
>>2392957
>>2392956 Here, I'm 32

It does add up, mother and GMs had kids in their 20s and 30s. My GMs and GFs were either teenagers or early 20s during the war. The great uncle that was in the RN was 22 when he died. They are all dead now but their memory isn't.
>>
>>2392956
>Germans had a habit of dropping any excess bombs wherever they fancy in order to make it back
That's not just a German thing. My Oma survived that exact same scenario with allied pilots in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>2392957
I'm 43 and my gfs were born in 1911 and 1921
>>
>>2393007
Funny how we have two stories of near-misses in the middle of fuckall, yet both sides needed to level an entire city just to target one factory. I don't know whether our grandmothers had good luck or bad luck.
>>
>>2393024
She was lucky indeed. Oma was changing my aunt on the kitchen table when a bomber dropped its load on its way back from Berlin onto the dairy on the other side of the road. Windows were shattered but nobody was hurt. The dairy wasn't hit either. Oma died in December '15 aged 94.
>>
Grandmothers family was jewish and hid in the country until they could get out
>>
File: IMG_3244.jpg (44KB, 554x554px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3244.jpg
44KB, 554x554px
They sat around wondering if this person was male or female.
>>
>>2393132
>t. sexually repressed anglo fantasizing about aryan cocks
>>
If that's a micro penis, I shudder to imagine a macro penis!!!
>>
>>2393167
I actually only have one leg. My doctor made me decide when I turned 13.
t. German
>>
Don't people realize that even in 1889, a baby's penis had to be at least a certain minimum size to be assigned male at birth?
>>
>>2383546
He got drafted by the Japanese into their Manchurian Army and fought against the Chinese. He participated in the Battle of Shanghai where he suffered a head injury that made him prone to head pains and became an alcoholic to cope with it. He may have participated in the Rape of Nanking or not. He was invalided and sent home to Korea, where he worked at the docks loading Japanese warships with supplies. He had to fight in his country's civil war and got wounded again. He never really got better and died, leaving behind seven children and a widow.
>>
my father`s father was too old and he had heart problems(he fought in finnish civil war in 1918) and my mother`s father was 15 years old during the ww2
>>
The only person I knew who fought in WW2 was not even related to me a fought the Japanese. This lent credibility in my mind to the fact that there never even existed a real human being named Adolf Hitler, just a character or a facade created by the Jews. As a result, I still can't take him seriously to this day with that mustache, let alone believe in the holocaust as it was presented in school and on TV.
>>
Father's dad was a know it all kid who wanted to join the cause he was too young.
Father's mom had her family die in front of her eyes thanks to 731 biological weaponry.
Mother's dad ran across provinces from the Japs.
Mother's mom was a makeshift nurse.

And that's why my parents said fuck no, we're moving to the USA.
>>
>>2383546
My grandparents were all teenagers for the war. On my mothers side they lived in Canada and on my fathers side they lived in England and Wales.
>>
File: IMG_3248.png (276KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3248.png
276KB, 1136x640px
>>2393180 #
>>
>>2393451
Hitler was neither impregnable nor likely to pass for a girl, otherwise he would never have been named Adolf in 1889. Ambiguous babies were almost always made into girls prior to 2000.
>>
File: IMG_3249.png (459KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3249.png
459KB, 1136x640px
Doesn't it speak volumes about Millennials when the most interesting thing we know about WW2 is Hitler's alleged, though unsubstantiated penile deformities?
>>
>>2383546
My great grandfather was Ukranian who spoke a bit of German. He joined the German millitary after the Nazi's liberated Ukraine.
>>
>>2393478
That shit predates millennials, dude.
>>
My great grandfather coordinated with the U.S. to detect subs in the pacific and other national security shit. I'm Mexican
>>
File: OrangePepe.jpg (4KB, 125x119px) Image search: [Google]
OrangePepe.jpg
4KB, 125x119px
>>2383546

My great grandfather joined the UVF in 1912 and then fought in WW1 got captured then got a letter from the king for his service. His bro died in France sadly and is buried there

Had a relation who fought in WW2 specifically the Africa campaign.
>>
>>2383546
My grandfather was in school during the war, my great grandfather worked in the Clyde shipyards.
>>
>>2383546
I'm Irish and so was my granddad but he joined the RAF in WWII. The factory he was working in were laying people off, but had some sort of deal whereby they'd keep a job for you after the war if you signed up to fight so he did.
He served in the flight crew on a Wellington bomber. He was trained as a pilot but never flew a combat mission after they discovered he had night blindness. So they made him a gunner/navigator instead. He reached the rank of Warrant Officer and fought/was stationed in Italy, Israel and Malta (in that order AFAIK). He was in Malta on VE day.
He was offered a job at Dublin airport after the war due to his experience with planes but he went back to work at the factory (for much less money).

He didn't like to talk about the war and he's gone now (God rest his soul) so that's all I know.
>>
>>2383546
Went to Kindergarten. My Great Grandfather fought in the Argonne Forest.
>>
>>2393869
>My Great Grandfather fought in the Argonne Forest
Badass. He must have seen some shit. Have you played Battlefield 1? Do you ever pretend you're him on the Argonne level?
>>
>>2393806
Lad, I'm Catholic and our ancestors fought side-by-side. Why do you have to bring sectarian shit into this? By posting a thumbnail, no less
>>
The grandpa of my mother was made prisonner during the battle for France and worked in german fields until the end of the war.
>>
>>2393806
Unionists acting like that border isn't from there as a result of them losing hard and being totally ineffective in the conflict they existed to fight in.
>>
My country wasn't directly involved in the war, but anyway.

On my mothers side? A sailor on a merchant ship.
On my fathers side, he stayed home during the entire war
My grandmothers cousin though, was a Panzergrenadier in the SS, who died during the escape from encirclement near Cherkassy.
>>
My Grandad was more silent than most vets about what he did. He did tell me one story, though:
He was storming the beaches of Normandy with his squad when the germans decided to lower the artillery cannons to fire directly at them. The captain's best friend was hit and "became red mist". When they got to the cannons the captain ordered the man in charge of the germans artillery to be brought to him. He then executed the captain of the german squad that killed his friend.
>>
>>2383546
My paternal grandfather was in the pacific. Never really got a straight story about what went down with him, but I know he flew helicopters. He later made flying into a career after the war. He drank a lot and wasn't all there mentally. Generally pretty good guy but he had a dark side. War fucked him up and he certainly would have been better off without it.
>>
>>2394023
>He then executed the captain of the german squad that killed his friend.
What a fag
>>
File: 1458466109919.jpg (73KB, 645x912px) Image search: [Google]
1458466109919.jpg
73KB, 645x912px
>>2394023
honorable western allies.
>>
>>2393885
>Playing Battlefield 1
>Not playing Verdun
>>
>>2383546

My grandfather was involved in testing a bunch of experimental radar stuff. Never went to Europe but got transferred around the US testing shit.

Also he got to ride in Catalinas so thats cool.
>>
File: IMG_0253.jpg (163KB, 700x517px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0253.jpg
163KB, 700x517px
>>
grandfather on mothers side was in the navy and sailed around japan. he told me a story once about how they took japanese (unsure if soldiers or citizens) onto their vessel and ate noodles and stuff with them using chopsticks
>>
>>2394115
Holy shit, Hitler was black?!?!?!

/pol/ BTFO
>>
>>2383826
Nice to know the only actual Nazi described in this thread was also a generally horrible person
>>
My grandfather was the youngest of six brothers. Three were drafted and he didn't want to be in the army so he joined the navy.

He served on a ship that towed ships in to be repaired and broke his back when he fell off a deck during a storm. Stayed in a hospital in California and I guess the rest of his service was uneventful.

One of my great uncles fought in the battle of the bulge, but I don't know anything beyond that.
>>
>>2383546
Left side - owning the company that built the planes.

Right side - commanding the artillery that was shooting down said planes.

Love conquers all, eventually, I guess.
>>
>>2394236
Yeah. That policeman Adolf was horrible, too, though. A friend told me that my last name is still feared in that area. He abused his police power on a regular basis apparently. And that well into the 60s as mentioned. Like drinking with people and on the way home confiscating their driving licenses because they were drunk. The nazis in my family were assholes, the commies in my family are dead, the regular people in my family were traumatized.
>>
>>2394276
Strangely enough he also was awarded a Federal Cross of Merit in the 70s for serving his commune as a local politician. For the Social Democrats no less. Just farcical.
>>
>>2383546
my grandfather on both sides were around 10-12 during WW2.

my great-grandad on my dad's side served in North Africa in Italy. Mostly as a guard for POW's and other security detail.

He told me stories when I was a kid how he befriended 5 Italian soldiers he was guarding during the campaign up the peninsula, and how they taught him Italian in exchange for smuggling them cigarettes and playing cards.

When the war ended he stayed in contact with them, going on vacation to Italy every 10 years or so to meet with them and catch up on old times. He even took me when I was a little kid back in 1997 to see the 3 that were still alive.

My great-grandad passed away the next year, and a few years later we got a letter from his friends asking where he was and hoping he was doing alright.

That feel man.
>>
>>2383704
Oh, cool. My grandmother's house was destroyed by the final day of bombing in Southampton.

Her father fought in both world wars (born 1900, joined the navy at 13. Bad timing).
>>
One of my gradfathers was in Stalingrad with wermacht, and came back. Unfortunately that's all I know.
>>
>>2383546
My great grandfather was a tank commander, and my grandfather was a decrypter.
>>
>>2383546
My grandfather was a teenager in Estonia. When the soviets invaded in 1940 he was a dockworker. He got onboard a ship leaving harbour to escape to Sweden but the prop ended up getting caught in a net. He dove into the water with a knife to cut it free. They ended up running the soviet blockade and made it to Sweden. He then ended up in the UK, joined the merchant marine, and lost 3 fingers in a docking accident. Ended up settling down in Canada as a painter after the war. He only saw his parents one more time in his lifetime when he was allowed to visit them in Estonia back in the 70s. He said he was tailed by a KGB agent in a black car his entire trip because he was from the west.
>>
>Great Grandad
>Fought in Burma
>Invaded Italy
>Taken

My family lost his war diary, which is really sad to be honest. I've heard some stories though.

In Italy they were digging foxholes for each person. They were supposed to stay in their assigned foxholes when the fighting came. When they saw the planes coming before the attack he ran back to his. Someone had taken it. He told him to get out and go back to his own but the guy refused, so he carried on running until he found another. They fought back the advance. When it was over he walked up toward the front to confront the guy who took his place. When he got there the foxhole was full of organs and mush. The guy had been stuck with artillery or a bomb and had been blown to bits.

I'm Scottish, my whole family is Scottish with a wee bit of Irish in us. We tan very easily for some reason. After fighting in Italy for a year, my great grandad was captured by Germans. When they first seen him the tried to take him to a concentration camp, they thought he was Jewish.

When he was taken prisoner the guards were mostly Italian, but some were SS. His friend was sick and he called for help. The SS came into the bunker, shot his friend and took the body away.
>>
File: 1368163736698.png (25KB, 599x740px) Image search: [Google]
1368163736698.png
25KB, 599x740px
>>2383546
We didn't talk about the war and now they're dead
I just know about one of them fleeing East Germany in the 50s.
>>
>>2394346

Thats sad mate. Bittersweet though. In a ime when the world was a lot more closed off than it is now your grandad had mates from across the world and despite ideology and war they remained friends until they died. Thats some good stuff
>>
This is a sensitive topic for me, since my grandfather was killed in WW2 in Auschwitz. Some fucking kike pushed him off his guard tower.
>>
>>2383546
My grandfather was a mechanic in Korea
>>
>>2383546
shot dirty nazi scum
>>
Great Grandfather was part of a tank division in Germany at the end of the war. They were separated from the rest in battle and were taken in by a nice German family to help get their bearings.

They were having dinner when VE was announced over the radio. He never spoke about the war aside from that.
>>
>>2383546
My paternal grandfather had meningitis during the war and stayed on a base in the States during the whole thing lol, paternal great-uncle was some kind of driver in Europe. My maternal grandfather was too young but my great-grandfather built airstrips in the pacific.
>>
>>2383546
Worked on the Manhattan Project.

One was a researcher, the other was an MP. Both mothers were university teachers of some variety.
>>
>>2384785
That's heavy shit Swampanon
I hope Commie-But-Then-Redpilled SwampGrandpa made it
>>
Grandpa on my moms side was a reconnaissance pilot in the Burma and India theater, took pics of the Japs from the sky (Ameriblubber though, I have no idea how he ended up in the Burma theater. Never takes to him much, died when I was young.)
Grandpa on my dads side was 14 when the war started but didn't want to be the only one who didn't get to kill some japs so he dropped out of high school and took a train from bumfuck Alabama to Montgomery to sign up for the Navy. They kinda looked the other way until his bastard principal sent the CO a letter telling him what was what. He told me they basically said "son we'd love to have you and you're not in trouble because we know how you feel and we salute your patriotism but you have to go home". Apparently his dad gave him a hell of a tanning when he got home.
>>
Spanish civil war fighter who escaped the France, then before France fell he and his family got to America. So nothing really.
>>
>>2383546
My fathers' father was a sheepherd and he was too young to fight.Communist after the war though.Helped kill religious clerics and had literally 10 kids.
>>
>>2394346
Touching story man
>>
>>2396424
Really? My grandpa was killed in Auschwitz when a guard fell ontop of him and crushed him
>>
>>2396424
>>2399080
That joke's definitely older than 25 years. Well done.
>>
One of my great grandads was a US army ranger, another of my great grandads was in the Wehrmacht.
>>
My great grandfather was an engineer for the RAF, he restocked and repaired the bombers and shit.

I didn't get a chance to ask him much before he died though, I'll have to ask my grandfather next time I see him.
>>
>>2385181
That's cool
>>
>>2391113
From whichnone came back
Sheeeesh
>>
>>2383546
grandfather from fathers side was only a boy in berlin, after the way he met my grandmother, who was a refugee from pommerania
idk what the other did
>>
Maternal grandfather island-hopped across the Pacific fighting Jappos, never much talked about it. I still have a Japanese-made coat that he bought there after the war.

Paternal grandfather couldn't join up until 1946, went career Air Force, was stationed in Franco's Spain, and refused until the day he died to tolerate any ill words about the man in his presence.
>>
>>2383546
My father's parents were probably little kids at the time.

My mother's father was in the Kriegsmarine. Her mother lived in Nuremburg.
>>
File: IMG_0641.jpg (41KB, 383x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0641.jpg
41KB, 383x480px
>>2383546
Great-grandfather on maternal side flew B-29s in the Pacific, and told me how he got to "blow some fucking gook villages back to kingdom come," which made him happier than the Fourth of July. Great-great-grandfather (maternal) died at Pearl Harbor, which would probably explain great-grandpa's actions.
Great-grandfather on my paternal side was an OSS agent. He got up to some real spook shit in French Indochina.
>>
Mother's side: my grandfather didn't fight as he was the youngest of his brothers, one of them was shot down and I don't remember the others but they were all killed.

Father's side: my grandmother used to carry messages for the italian resistance. She was eventually captured and put in a cell awaiting her execution. One day a german soldier noticed her and let her go, because apparently she was quite the eye-catcher back in her day.
>>
Paternal grandfather was on the USS Saratoga.

Maternal grandfather was on the USS Saranac, which was an oiler.

Grandmother were young at the time.
>>
>>2383546
Father's father: didn't serve; probably too old.
Father's mother: working & raising kids.
Mother's father: didn't serve.
Mother's mother: at home raising kids.
>>
>>2399835
I still wouldn't pull it. Too much pressure desu
>>
>>2399867
your grandmother tasted the german bratwurst.
Thread posts: 172
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.