[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cultural Differences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: mr miyagi.jpg (77KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
mr miyagi.jpg
77KB, 900x675px
What are some cultural differences that have always stood out for you as particularly emblematic of diversity of thought/philosophy between different races/nations?

For me I've always been intrigued by the East Asian idea of "face/mianzi". Although comparable concepts exist in the West, they were never as formalized or commonly used in vernacular speech. The roughly equivalent -concept- would probably be "dignity/dignitas", but face and dignity are still very different.

For example, face in East Asian cultures is almost like leveling up in an RPG. You accumulate face points by accumulating status symbols of wealth and displaying them off to other people. Whereas the concept of dignity in western thought isn't as directly related to wealth, and it is generally considered bad form to be ostentatious with wealth unless it's about largesse/munificence.

This reflects in general culture too. I've noticed that Chinese men tend to disparage women who go for men for reasons other than wealth, which is really weird and alien by western standards.
>>
Differences in what is considered feminine and general attitudes to women are the most obvious and not in the ways you'd expect either.
>>
Guy in the OP's pic looks so arrogant with his goatee.
>>
Corruption and society in Northern and Southern Europe.

In Northern Europe, corruption is thought not to exist or barely exist. People are very trustworthy of their goverment officials and are shocked if they discover a case of corruption. But that does not mean that there is no corruption at all.

In southern Europe however, people are aware of their goverments corruption. And because they are aware that politicians launder tax money, the tax payers refuse to report their income honestly as well. Thus creating a self-feeding problem.
>>
>>2377494
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>2377539
Women aren't seen as delicate and more valuable than men in China, they're seen as more expendable. It's not a malicious misogyny, just a sort of callous indifference which is really surprising if you're raised with the whole traditional "never hit a girl even if she hits you" attitude.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.