[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why germans did not take Leningrad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: photo_2017-02-01_20-29-56.png (122KB, 512x360px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-02-01_20-29-56.png
122KB, 512x360px
Why germans did not take Leningrad?
>>
that would be finland
>>
Extremely difficult city to siege. Even more so than Stalingrad, because they scuttled their fleet in the harbor, making them nearly impregnable artillery bunkers, with poor terrain to attack from.
They attempted multiple times to seize the city but all assaults failed, and the Fins were unable to fully close the encirclement, meaning the city could be resupplied on occasion, although the defenders still suffered greatly from the siege.

It's also because the Germans never threw the full weight of their military behind it. It was always a side front, with Moscow being the initial focus, then Stalingrad, then Kursk. Leningrad was not of much strategic importance at basically any stage of the war when weighed against other targets.
>>
File: Finn warning.jpg (188KB, 840x1053px) Image search: [Google]
Finn warning.jpg
188KB, 840x1053px
>>2374432
>Fins were unable to fully close the encirclement
>>
Would it have made any difference if they did?
>>
>>2374432
But wouldn't it have been a huge moral blow for the Russians that the city that bears Lenin's name and the former capital of Russia was taken by Germany.
>>
>>2374775
Maybe?
>>
Why Jews hold the monopoly of the memory of suffering during WWII was Leningrad was literally hell on earth during the siege?
>>
Werent spaniards at charge of the siege?
>>
>>2374775
You don't win total wars on morale. Morale was already in the shitter following the whole "overrunning huge swaths of territory and killing zillions of people", and that wasn't enough to keep them down.
>>
>>2374396
During operation Barbarossa they were extremely close to taking the city. They name of the Soviet front commander is escaping me at the moment, but he had planned to retreat from the city and tear it all down. He was replaced however right beforehand by Zhukov. Zhukov used some pretty ingenious counter strokes that halted the German advance on the city. This all happened in August-September 1941, so after the initial failure hitler withdrew the panzer group assign to taking the city so that it could be used for operation typhoon.

After army group north lost their only panzer group, there was really no feasible was to take the city while it had a million soviet soldiers defending it. I know manstein later planned another operation in late 1942 to fully encircle the city, but after the encirclement of the 6th army at Stalingrad he scrapped the plan and diverted the resources for preparation of operation winter storm. After that there was no more serious attempts at encircling the city or attempting to invade it since they lacked the resources for such an operation.
>>
The city was effectively useless to the soviets anyway and it was probably safer to siege it than to go in street to street fighting.

I don't see a point in not sieging it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.