[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where does a state gets its legitimacy from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: kycapitol_big.jpg (96KB, 600x429px) Image search: [Google]
kycapitol_big.jpg
96KB, 600x429px
Where does a state gets its legitimacy from?
>>
>>2374395
Monopoly on violence.
>>
>>2374395
My hot opinions
>>
>>2374395
Tricking people.
>>
democracy, elections
monarchy, bloodlines
theocracies, divine right
autocracies, violence
>>
Social contract
>>
>>2374443
>monarchy
>not divine right
>>
File: cuddeback2.jpg (62KB, 880x495px) Image search: [Google]
cuddeback2.jpg
62KB, 880x495px
depends on the regime family man
>>
>>2374395
Jesus
>>
>>2374395
Making a group of people in a determined territory to follow its authority and rules.
>>
File: 1469237961698.jpg (15KB, 332x326px) Image search: [Google]
1469237961698.jpg
15KB, 332x326px
>>2374448
>Social contract
>>
>>2374453
Started out that way. Then as a traditional institution it becomes bloodlines.
>>
>>2374395
All authority stems from the ability to enforce it

If you have a bigger stick than your opponent then you're the authority
>>
>>2374395
Trust, mostly

People place trust in the state to make sure that goods and services are met, that infrastructure is built/maintained and that the borders are defended, etc.

once that trust is broken, once a state is unwilling or unable to provide food, maintain roads or buildings, defend the area, then the people will reject and replace the system for another than can be trusted to meet the people's demands.

Systems of repression such as denying the right to assemble or speak ill of the state, mass arrests of state enemies, and so on can extend a weak state's life a little longer, but by no means can keep such measures in action forever, and will fall too from that lack of trust that hurts its legitimacy.
>>
>>2374395
By international recognition.
>>
>>2374443
>erections

Hmm
>>
Consent of the governed. People want to say "muh monopoly on force" but when people no longer consent to being ruled by whoever they initiate violence so it's the same thing.
>>
>>2374776
There could be a "Government" which exerts 100% positive control over it's "governed", i.e extreme slavery or imprisonment. Then in that case the governed don't consent but can't do shit about it. So we are back to force establishing legitimacy.
>>
>>2374395
monopoly on violence
>>
God
>>
The perception of representation and legitimate democracy along with threat of force.
>>
>>2374397

This. A State find it's "legitimacy" later, when shills shill and plebs pleb.
>>
>>2374395
All authority ultimately comes from God.
>>
>>2374395
The will of the people, the ability to convince them that your government is the correct one. Having a monopoly on violence is nice, but you need to convince the common man to go along with it. If you didn't then every occupation on earth would have worked out without a hitch.

Jesus fucking christ, I'm quoting constructionism. What's happening to me?
>>
>>2374395
Depends what you mean by a state

Original despotic kingdoms got their legitimacy from a monopoly on violence and by virtue of being the property of the most powerful people. People were forced to abide by laws and religions in order to keep order and to keep the king in charge.

Nation-states as we know them get their authority partially from the will of the people to form a collective so that they may be more than the sum of their parts. Of course, there is still a despotic element as there always will be, but it's diluted. There are many more factions vying for power and seeking to advance their own interests, which stops the state from being a despotic tyranny.

Correct me if you think I'm wrong, very tired atm lol
>>
>>2374443
Edit
democracy, violence and elections
monarchy, violence and bloodlines
theocracies, violence and divine right
autocracies, violence and the most resources
>>
>>2375304
Edit edit
>democracy
fear
>autocracy
violence

Everything lies somewhere between these two, and the size and power of the government directly correlates to the amount of fear and/or violence that effects people
>>
>>2374395
It doesn't, taxation is theft.
>>
>>2374395
Depends on the political culture of the nation.
>>
>>2374395
Mandate of heaven.
>>
From being the proper representation of the Idea.
>>
the liberal answer is "consent of the governed", and the imperialist answer is "force". both are materialist answers; the correct answer is "the culture that binds together the state's subjects".
>>
File: 2016-03-18 21.34.55.jpg (636KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-18 21.34.55.jpg
636KB, 1500x1500px
>>2375493
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.