[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did flame-bladed swords really cut more? Or was it just a myth?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: Flamberge.jpg (17KB, 412x400px) Image search: [Google]
Flamberge.jpg
17KB, 412x400px
Did flame-bladed swords really cut more?

Or was it just a myth?
>>
File: Ouiaboux sword.jpg (81KB, 400x244px) Image search: [Google]
Ouiaboux sword.jpg
81KB, 400x244px
No, that's retarded. They parried/blocked slightly better, but mostly they made them just because it looked cool. No other cultures bothered to copy the design beside South Asia with the kris (and again it was more ceremonial than anything)
>>
>>2371968
I've been having an intense debate about these fucking things at Uni this week.

Been telling people they don't cut better, that it was mostly aesthetic and even ceremonial, but we're talking about a level of discourse that unironically has "EPIC NIPPON STEEL" in it.

Fucking hate these swords.
>>
File: 1478659271875.jpg (34KB, 642x792px) Image search: [Google]
1478659271875.jpg
34KB, 642x792px
>>2371984
>>Fucking hate these swords.
>>
>has smaller contact surface
>cuts more
>>
>>2371946

it gave a 5+ buff to Constitution
>>
>>2372014
>>2372017
Sounds OP enough.
>>
>Make a sword look like a flame, that'll make it cut more.

Is this the "painting flames on it makes it go faster" of the pre-modern world?
>>
it was probably better for chopping poles (not the people) since a straight edge is terrible for that
>>
>>2372054
>it was probably better for chopping poles
>Start laughing my ass off until you specify "not the people"
>>
>>2372054
Eh, I'd still take my chances with a falchion or other pseudo-machete.
It doesn't look that much better at cutting poles either since the curves aren't particularly wide or deep, I can only imagine it sort of bumping off.
>>
>>2371946
>The flamberge is an undulating blade that is found on both long blades and rapiers. When parrying with such a sword, unpleasant vibrations may be transmitted into the attacker's blade. These vibrations cause the blades to slow contact with each other because additional friction is encountered with each wave.
>>
>>2372121
Amazing. Had no idea.
>>
File: Gajag_Mada_(Civ5).jpg (884KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gajag_Mada_(Civ5).jpg
884KB, 1920x1080px
idk but I think the indonesian kris is really fucking cool desu
>>
Rule of cool.
>>
>>2372014
>>2372017
>>2372031
I failed my roll to save against lol
>>
My friend has a montante with such a blade, it only cuts slightly better than my regular bladed piece, but only with draw cuts, which does not help much as greatsword swings are far more like chops than draw cuts.

So, the answer is yes, they do cut better, just barely better with specific cuts.
>>
I'd think that a helical undulation and maybe the addition of a third edge would make for a seriously cleavy weapon compared to the more traditional conception of wave blades
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.