[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

North America in the 1600s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: mayflower-boat-art-u3586.png (444KB, 568x430px) Image search: [Google]
mayflower-boat-art-u3586.png
444KB, 568x430px
Hey folks, can we have a tread about the colonies in the eastern US during the first century of colonization.

I mean I know a bit about the Pilgrims and such but aside from the Salem trials there aint so much information around.

So what I'd like to know in particular

- How was daily life back then as a colonist?
- What role did companies like the Massachusetts Bay Company play?
- What about Architecture, manufacturing etc?

I'm just starting to dive into this topic so my knowledge (aside from some Wikipedia redaing) is highly limited. But would love to know more. And, if you got some, also links and recommended books.

Thanks guys.
>>
New Netherlands > new england >>> new france >>>>>>> new sweden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> vinland memes
>>
File: thayendenagea.jpg (727KB, 1372x1600px) Image search: [Google]
thayendenagea.jpg
727KB, 1372x1600px
>>2367033
- How was daily life back then as a colonist?

> wake up
> go to tend crops
> crops won't grow
> get out of palisade to look for game
> get an arrow in the leg for your trouble
> limp back to fort
> "oh well at least I gave them smallpox"
> eat soup made out of own shoes (buckles and all)
> get dysentery
> go to bed after crapping your guts out in the
> cold as fuck
> get frostbite
> dream about going off to join the natives with their freedom, food, warmth and hot women
> wake up
> remember if you try to go native your own people will shoot you
> new bout of dysentery
> get gangrene from infected leg arrow
> go to barber surgeon
> he yanks out the arrow and tells you to get back to work
> governor makes you build a new watchtower
> toil all day with quarter rations of shoe soup
> go home
> go to sleep
> starve

pic not very related.
>>
Comfy.
>>
People starved to death, froze to death, died to the various illnesses that couldn't be treated or cured until today, ate their dead to survive, gave up and went back to Europe, fought with their leaders, ran away from the settlements and joined one of the many indian tribes, got into fights with indians and died, suffered through the years regretting crossing the Atlantic...

It was pretty much ass compared to iberian America.
>>
>>2367033
God 16th/early 17th century ships were fucking sexy.
>>
>>2367869
>>2367836
After the cannibalism phase was over, things really weren't that bad for the northern colonies.

Virginia, Carolina, and Spanish Florida were crazy though and I don't understand why anyone would have wanted to go anywhere near there.
>>
>>2368766
What was crazy about them?
>>
This may be a bit too obscure...

but does anyone know any good books on colonial new england farming?

>>2367896
agreed
>>
>>2368801
Virginia was the site of the largest massacre of British settlers in colonial history and the most far-reaching rebellion. Carolina meanwhile frequently raided and warred with Spanish Florida right up until Spain finally handed it over in the 1800s. These three colonies were effectively the Wild West of the colonial period, and although there were many other conflicts across the colonies, their conflicts stand apart due their frequency and intensity.
>>
>>2369133
I second this. Info also welcome
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.