[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone ever thought about how much movies and videogames

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Has anyone ever thought about how much movies and videogames distort our image of history? It legitimately makes me butthurt.

For example, a vast majority of the Vietnam war air bombardment campaigns yet the common idea of the war are a bunch of GIs traversing through the jungle and getting sniped by spooky pajama men while It ain't me is playing in the background because of fucking Platoon, Forrest Gump and Apocalypse Now.

Or the fact that the vast majority battlefield casualties in basically every large scale war (Napoleonic wars, US civil war, WW1, WW2) were caused by artillery is constantly ignored by the average normies because those wars aren't portrayed that way in the media.
>>
but most of the killing in Apocalypse Now is done by air bombardment
>>
>>2364129
This. They did it fairly well.
>>2364073
Well GI's did go out on patrol, but yeah, two sides flinging shells at each other isn't exciting television. I just wish Hitchcock got to make his Napoleon.
>>
Bondarchuk's Waterloo involved quite a bit of artillery.
I get the feeling they wanted to feature it more, but the prop department couldn't get the firing of cannons to look quite right.
>>
>>2364073
>Or the fact that the vast majority battlefield casualties in basically every large scale war (Napoleonic wars,

Roughly 70% of Napoleonic era casualties were from musket fire.

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/infantry_tactics_2.htm

Later wars would shift that around to making artillery the predominant killer, but by the Napoleonic era they hadn't quite gotten there yet.

Artillery was, however, crucial for its ability to concentrate fire on a specific point of the enemy force in a way that was tough to do with muskets.
>>
The majority of US deaths in Vietnam were pajama men though.
>>
>>2365248
Great link esp for someone who has a musket fetish
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.