[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Proto-Daoism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

The Daodejing clearly references "the great Tao masters of antiquity", implying Taoist sages have existed possibly long before Laozi's time.

My question is whether or not there are written records of this early Taoism and if it's possible that other related schools of Chinese philosophy such as FengShui, the School of YinYang, and Heaven Worship all stem from some form of proto-Daoism.
>>
>>2361510
yingyang and feng shui are certainly connected to daoism ether through origination or absorption.

Most likey the origins of daoism lay in an amalgam of Chinese philosophical and spiritual practices
>>
>>2361510
You're a big chink.
>>
>>2361537
為汝
>>
ThIs interest me very much. Bon, one indigenous religion of Tibet that preceded Buddhism, but is a lot like Buddhism, also speaks of a great master of old that gave them their religion.

>According to Bon terma, Tonpa Shenrab predates Gautama Buddha. It is held that Tonpa Shenrab first studied the Bon doctrine in Tagzig Olmo Lung Ring, at the end of which he pledged to Shenlha Okar, the god of compassion, that he would guide the peoples of this world to liberation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonpa_Shenrab_Miwoche

In the Pali Canon Gotama Buddha claims that before him there were countless other Buddhas... Really makes you think.
>>
I'm afraid we will never find written records, seeing as in ancient religions the oral tradition was revered more highly.

Guenon and other traditionalist authors are of the opinion that the sacred texts of a particular tradition are only written down once said tradition is already declining.
>>
>>2361510
Read The Complete I-Ching by Huang

It's the best translation of the Yijing, the Classic of Changes, which isn't simply a divination book, it's a proto-Daoist AND Proto-Confucian text, generally the foundation of all East Asian thought, particularly a cosmology of changes (we call it process philosophy in Western philosophy) and cycles.

Concepts like Dao, Yin, Yang, etc. were all introduced there before the Daodejing was written.

"Great Dao masters of antiquity" could refer to divinized legendary figures like King Wen of Zhou, the Duke of Zhou, Fu Xi, to which tradition attributes the Yijing and commentaries thereof.

Another worthy candidate could be Huangdi, so the safest way is to simply say Laozi refers to the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors, they are simply the greatest.

>>2362912
Shut up.
>>
File: 220px-TangTaizong.jpg (25KB, 220x388px) Image search: [Google]
220px-TangTaizong.jpg
25KB, 220x388px
>>2361510
Eunuch Pavel, I'm Tang dynasty.
>>
>>2363306
Good post
>>
File: IMG_1916.jpg (30KB, 379x255px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1916.jpg
30KB, 379x255px
>>2361510
Why would you ever read such Laozi philosophy?
>>
>>2364918
Fuck off Carlos
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.