[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spanish Conquest History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: noche-triste-1-e1450836158474.jpg (139KB, 650x474px) Image search: [Google]
noche-triste-1-e1450836158474.jpg
139KB, 650x474px
Are there any written accounts from the Spaniards on what they saw or how they felt when they first saw the Aztec cities?

How did both the Spaniards and other tribes communicate to form alliances against the Aztecs?
>>
>>2355021
You can actually read the letters of Hernandez Cortez himself, which he wrote as he encountered the Aztecs. They have been preserved and translates into English.
>>
>>2355021
this
>>2355046
or bernal diaz's true history, which is the better read i've heard.
>>
Yup. The best is "HIstoria verdadera de la conquista de la nueva España" (The True History of the Conquest of New Spain) by Bernal Díaz del Castillo, who was just a common foot soldier who went with the three first expeditions to America, and that wrote everything he saw from beginnign to end of the war. It's a 1000+ page masterpiece. Reading it right now.
It's really cool to read how witty Cortés was, and everything they did to use morale tactics, making friends and enemies. It's really curious how complex most characters are.
Excpet for Pedro de Alvarado, most of them weren't evil, as the superior jewish race wants us to believe

>>2355046
>Cortez
come on man
>>
>>2355095
>the chosen ones are wrong about anything
Impossible. Their chosen status makes them instantly right on everything.
>>
>>2355104
>Mexicans start talking shit about spaniards
>rebellion brewing
>Pedro de Alvarado kills about 400 mexican chiefs in the most important festivity for the natives to end the problem before it starts
>jews will actually say it was justified
you're actually right, now that you made me think about it
>>
>>2355095
>Excpet for Pedro de Alvarado, most of them weren't evil, as the superior jewish race wants us to believe
Explain why Cortes massacred all the nobles of Cholula, if they really were planning an ambush why would they met with him unarmed or let alone go to his meeting?
>>
>>2355021
> How did they communicate
Two spanish dudes got ashore in a shipwreck and became indians.
Then when Cortes landed, found about those two. One of them returned to their tribe as he had a family. The other one (Aguirre) joined again and would become useful later.
In some battle against the indians in Tabasco, the losers offered Cortes some presents. Among the bounty there were 20 women. One of them (aka Malinche) was from the nobility and knew the mayan and colhua languages.
So Cortes talked to Aguirre, which only knew the language of Yucatan, and Aguirre talked to Malinche, which finally translated to the locals.
>>
>>2355173
>Aguirre
*Aguilar
>>
>>2355169
read>>2355130
I do think Alvarado did the right thing. But Cortes actually got very mad. The thing is, that event did start a war anyways.
>>
>>2355177
Yes. sorry he was called Jerónimo de Aguilar.
The other one was Gonzalo Guerrero. He had 3 children when Cortés arrived, and refused to join.
>>
>>2355181
>I do think Alvarado did the right thing.

>Allowed the Aztecs to celebrate a festival as long there was no sacrifices and people were unarmed and then proceded to block the exits and shot and stab 8000 nobles, including women, old people and children
>the right thing
>>
Azetec """Cities"""" were already dilapidated and unspectactular by the time Europeans arrived. THanks to civil war and barbaristic acts committed during the centures of civil that predated eurospeans they ruined theirselves before europeans arrived to save them
>>
File: Tenochtitlan circa 1519.jpg (751KB, 1726x1218px) Image search: [Google]
Tenochtitlan circa 1519.jpg
751KB, 1726x1218px
>>2355229
1/10
>>
>>2355095
Is the Penguin translation of this work good? Kinda getting interested now.
>>
>>2355754
this says Maudslay's translation is better
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.