[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

High School Classes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 54825845ibfaa_sm.jpg (19KB, 300x349px) Image search: [Google]
54825845ibfaa_sm.jpg
19KB, 300x349px
My kids in high school, but doesn't know what history classes to take. Have things changed that much since i was a kid? Are AP's any good?
>>
If they have any interest they are great. I loved them ~ 8 years ago, doubt they've changed much.

From your perspective you absolutely should encourage it. From all my APs I got 56 credits at a state school and graduated a year early without much effort. This is not a humble brag because at least 1/8 of my class did the same so its not hard. It saved me/my parents probably 10k all in.
>>
>>2354523
Any courses you'd recommend?
>>
>>2354506
If their goal in life is to be historian/teacher, then take some history class of their interest.

If they don't have a goal of being a history teacher, just native country history and general world history. Then put them in classes that would actually benefit their careers.

Time is valuable. If your child doesn't have an edge in highschool, they will lag behind in higher ed.
>>
AP classes are worth taking if they are right for your child. The real problem is determining if they are. You must ensure your child is self motivated to do the extra work and be challenged, otherwise he/she will learn less and perform worse than if he/she were in a normal class.

You can't force your child to take on work of this nature if they do not want to themselves and expect good to come of it. You can, however, be a resource of wisdom that he/she can utilize to help make his/her decision which will grant him or her the necessary motivation (in other words, explain why taking an AP class might be a good decision).
>>
>>2354506
Historical documentaries are awesome. I learned a lot from them. And I would have been interested in the subject in school had they been available then and in quantity.
>>
>>2354506
APs are good because the teachers usually enjoying teaching them and treat kids with a bit more respect as opposed to Honors or Scholastic classes where they treat kids like wild animals and pile them with homework. Plus, good grades on the test can get college credit which can save a lot of money in the long run.
>>
>>2354506
If your kid is going to go to college, pressure him to take as many AP classes as he can handle. Most classes in highschool are completely useless. AP classes will count as college credits if he does well. I wish I had taken more AP classes instead of fucking around like an idiot.
>>
>>2354506
>I'm in high school, but I don't know what history classes to take. Are AP's any good?
ftfy
>>
>>2354672
This. AP classes usually have better teachers and have more students that care, so the class environments are usually much better. That alone makes them worth taking. It's basically the only reason I took them, as at the time I was a mopey fuck that had no college ambition and didn't a fuck about school. I wouldn't be scared by the above post about the extra workload, either. None of my AP classes were particularly hard to pass and I put in almost no effort.

The potential college credits are also kind of a plus, but if your kid is really concerned about preparing for college, a running start program would be a smarter idea, as those will get your kid an associates at the end of high school and save two years of actual college.
>>
>>2354506
If available, let your kid take college courses instead. You're rolling the dice if you're going to have a good history program either way, but at least with one you can shorten the time they'll spend going to college before they enter the workforce.

I took AP courses in high school, regretted it when other students were starting college as a sophomore or above.
>>
>>2355562
This. Senior year people usually take the class but don't take the test. Make your kid take them. Easy credits.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.