[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anglos did NOTHING WRONG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: Destruction_of_opium_in_1839.jpg (259KB, 1280x784px) Image search: [Google]
Destruction_of_opium_in_1839.jpg
259KB, 1280x784px
Why do anglos get so much hate for the Opium Wars? There were no laws stipulating that Opium was illegal. It wasn't the anglos that got the Chinese hooked on it in the first place. Chinese were simply making a consumer CHOICE because the zeitgeist of late Qing China dictated that the demand for Opium was high. Qing workers had seen a decline in living standards because population pressure made competition for scarce resources fiercer, driving wages down in a natural manner. According to good laissez faire Confucian Principles, the Qianglong Emperor fostered small government by pegging the quotas of new officials and tax revenues to the 1790 census, therefore making sure that more Chinese talent and money could be diverted to private enterprise, the true engine of economic growth. The Opium Suppression went AGAINST these principles. Inspector Lin was a true Oriental Despot, breaking NAP and seizing 1.2 KG of private property from honest western merchants, depriving consumers of an opioid that helped relieve pain from farming and dragging boat barges on the silting Grand Canal. When you break NAP, all bets are off. Not to mention that Inspector Lin poured all the Opium IN THE OCEAN, therefore ruining prime oceanic resources before private property laws could divide the sea into parcels. The only way the British, a people embodying the ideal of fair play, could get recompense was to use rightful military force to get compensation for their private property wealth. They were well within their bounds to do so.
>>
>>2349255
>1.2 KG
1.2 Million KG*
>>
>>2349255
Its generally agreed that states can control the flow of imports into their territory.
>>
>>2349255
Furthermore, the British cannot be accused of Imperialism. The British, by law of supply and demand, stumbled upon a good that Chinese valued highly. True to form, the British made innovations in the production of Opium, so that that the average Chinese consumer could afford it, whereas in the past only courtiers in the Chinese court could afford to consume opium for recreational and medicinal purposes. This was a revolution in Chinese capitalist development, creating the first mass market in China connected to international global trade networks. For those who complain "MUH TRADE IMBALANCE," or the wicked slander that the British used opium to reverse the trade deficit caused by the importation of Chinese tea for British silver, this is a grotesque caricature of the facts. According to the laws of supply and demand, there exists a concept called elasticity, or the rate at which the price of a good or service responds to changes in market forces. In the short term, in other words, the British dependence on Chinese tea was inelastic, meaning that the price of tea was high because the tea growing was limited to China. However, in the LONG TERM, the tea market was elastic, and enterprising British entrepreneurs found ways to mass produce tea in India, greatly increasing the volume of tea, and significantly cutting the distance of tea to the British market. All of this cause tea prices to PLUMMET, by the 1850s. This is perfectly in line with classical economic principles. Any British politician would have seen that the tea deficit with China was a spook because, why, the British political class was the first to adopt the liberal economic principles of Adam Smith!
But economic principles yield us yet more insights. If, for example, the Anglo was a rabid imperialist, then why were other nations soon competing to import opium to China, driving down prices further? (cont.)
>>
>Selling the Chinese a product they were already consuming for cheaper
>OMG the worst thing EVER! Why are white people so evil?
It's amazing just how much Marxist revisionism is accepted without question by the masses.
>>
>>2349346
And even more astounding, how can you explain the fact that a new class of innovative CHINESE entrepreneurs started growing opium for the home market? In summary, we can induce that the British warred the Chinese only for the purpose of protecting the private property of its citizenry and other nationals denied the fruits of their labor. When China did become independent, it flowered into wonderful laboratory for free market experimentation. Not only do we see a plummet in foreign opium imported in these years, and the decades prior for that matter, but the expansion of a homegrown opium industry! Furthermore, we see the principles of small government in practice. The visionary president Yuan Shikai wisely delegated military forces to individual commanders, making out of generals what I'd call creative army CEOs! These men essentially inherited the emperor's right to all Chinese private property, and so used their parcels of land to extract wealth, and advance military organization. If a CEO failed to protect his rentier's personal property, a new CEO had the right to use his own private military to deny the other CEO his right to property, as he broke his commitment NAP. As a result of this system, these were years of dizzying growth, with industrial production rising 300%! In a word, China shows what a future libertarian state can work. History clearly shows us that this is the ideal form of economic organization. No other can beat it!
>>
File: 1470089003334.jpg (99KB, 540x625px) Image search: [Google]
1470089003334.jpg
99KB, 540x625px
>>2349255
>>2349346
>>2349397
>it was profitable and legal therefore it was good
Are anglos incapable of understanding even the most basic morality?
You literally made a national business out of drugging people, the fact that chinese entrepeneurs sold opium too doesn't make you good, it just makes them evil too.
What's more, when the chinese banned your drugs you literally invaded them stole a part of their country and forced them to accept an unfair treaty.
But the eternal anglo didn't have enough with that so they invented a pretext and invaded yet again.
The boxer rebellion did nothing wrong
>>
>>2350073
>Are anglos incapable of understanding even the most basic morality?

Jews aren't known to have sense of right and wrong.
>>
>>
I know this is a troll thread but it's true that historiography of late qing and early republican China is hopelessly biased in anti western and pro Chinese way. Even in the West itself.

Very little is written of how the early KMT were basically the KKK on steroids for example. Or what a slimy piece of shit Sun Yat Sen was. Or how the KMT themselves immediately started producing opium domestically by forcing peasants into it after the brits gradually banned the production among Indian farmers for export.

Pretty much everything you've been told about poor Chinese people being oppressed by wicked westerners is a lie.
>>
>>2350073
I'm not an anglo, I just admire their adherence to the best possible economic system that man has developed.

>the most basic morality
Why is opium bad? As I said it was a palliative to the worsening economic conditions of 19th century China. I'd argue that it made easier the first, painful, birth pangs of modern capitalism in the country.
>>
Just a few other points:

Chinks had been exporting opium to Southeast Asia for centuries prior.

Chinks today run the opium trade in the golden triangle. Ethnic Chinese organised crime has destroyed Laos and Cambodia beyond recognition and these same ethnic criminal elements have ties to PRC intelligence.

If you feel sympathy for chinks. Just die.
>>
>>2350456
Yep. All of the big drug lords arrested by Duterte have been ethnic Chinese.
>>
>>2350435
>after the brits gradually banned the production among Indian farmers for export.
Well, tbf the Opium trade had become way less profitable to the British by the early 20th century, and the trade deficit with China had long been eliminated, so British policy-makers became inclined to listen to Protestant moralfags.
>>
>>2350456
The number of Euroboos justifiying the unjustifiable and making attacks on everything Asian is just pathetic.

Admitting that past was what it was doesn't mean admitting to some sort of collective guilt
>>
>>2350467
>unjustifiable

What about when Ming China completely fucking destroyed indochina and killed a few million viets in the process just to keep their pet bitch on the throne? Was that ok?

Eurocentrism is fine when we're discussing perceived historical wrongs I've found
>>
>>2350465
Their consideration believe it or not was the livelihood of said Indian farmers. That's why it was a phased out ban over a ten year period with an emphasis on moving said Indians over to other cash crops.
>>
>>2349255
I know, right? China was selling psychotropic tea to the nomads to the north for centuries!
>>
Remember the 300 gorillion Chinese addicted to opium and massacred by the yang guizi. Remember the 400 gigagorillion killed by xiao riben. Praise be to Confucius
Mars is Chinese territory
Ancient maps prove it
>>
>>2350479
>Whataboutism

From our modern perspective probably, though professionally you dont make moral judgements about the past.
to the extent OP frames historical actions using modern moral ideas to justify something which if happened today we would be appalled: he is wrong.

But yeah when you have power you tend to throw it around at the expense of others, and both China and England did a lot of it in their day
>>
>>2350485
Well, not necessarily the Indian farmers, but protestant organizations did point to the plight of opium on the Chinese, though I'm not sure how impactful their advocacy was.
Anyway, the argument still stands, as British recognized that opium was not as profitable as before and so Indian peasants could be put to better use.
>>
>>2350513
I don't think it was about moving the Indian farmers to a more profitable pursuit.

This thread doesn't need Asian "Americans".
>>
>>2350540
>This thread doesn't need Asian "Americans".
??
>>
File: 1482380598450.jpg (52KB, 600x656px) Image search: [Google]
1482380598450.jpg
52KB, 600x656px
>>2350073
not my fault the Chinese didnt modernize their fucking military when they had the brits balls in a vise.
>>
>>2350674
also not my fault they didn't open more ports or make any sound decisions in order to make more profit. Instead the Qing's closed their shit for business and made themselves a pain in the ass for everyone.
>>
The hans invaded all their neighbors and their empire collapse, this obviously the fault of the anglo-saxons
>>
File: british.jpg (143KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
british.jpg
143KB, 650x400px
>>2349255
Anglosplaining should be a thing.
>But we're correct in taxing Americans heavily since they were British Citizens and they ought to pay for us defending them in the Seven Years War.
>We didn't *invade* India, we just made deals with many of the local princeses to set up shop in their lands.
>Why do anglos get so much hate for the Opium Wars?
>>
>>2350456
10/10 post on /his/, the historical roleplay board for /int/.

Fucking end yourselves you spooked out faggots.
>>
>>2350711
lindysplaining perhaps? It makes me so happy seeing the modern state of the UK
>>
>>2350699
>The Qing Dynasty is isolationist.
Except, you know, when they traded with the Dutch, the Portuguese, the French, the Russians, the Mughs in India, and the Spanish, and only shut off Britain because "We really do not see what they have to offer?"
>>
>>2350501
but the only reason to condemn the British for selling opium is to root your judgement in modern morality, inconsistent modern morality I might add considering the strong cultural currents in support of drug normalization and decriminalization that are becoming increasingly felt.

Everyone agrees that the criminalization of drugs causes crime, except when the Chinese do it, then it's brave resistance against the white man's poisons.
>>
>>2350738
>britain bans slavery in the empire in the 1830s on moral grounds
>proceeds to make millions of chinese slaves to their opium addiction
hmmm, really makes you think...
>>
>>2350711
>taxing Americans heavily

Fuck off the Americans were barely paying anything and then they sperg out because tea is taxed.
>>
>>2350836
#Anglosplaining
>>
>Force someone to produce something they find immoral to have something to trade for your manufactured shit
I wonder why
>>
>>2350437
>Why is opium bad?
Becuase it creates dependency and fucks up your brain
>>2350674
>>2350699
The qing ehere already making more profit that's why the opium wars started, retard
>>
>>2350796
No one made Chinese slaves to their opium addiction other than themselves. You know how you avoid becoming a "slave" in such a situation? Not buying opium in the first place.

The British didn't introduce the Chinese to opium, they had already been consuming it for hundreds of years. The only thing the British are guilty of is selling it for cheap enough that poor Chinese could afford to indulge in a habit of the Chinese wealthy.
>>
File: Lin Zexu.png (240KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lin Zexu.png
240KB, 640x360px
>>2349255
>>
>>2349255
>>2349346
This is in large part true. In the 1830s the industrial revolution was picking up and in Britain there was a series of sweeping political reforms like the St. Helena Act ushering in an era of free trade. China could negotiate with the east India company when it was a monopoly but not the flood of new merchants. Qing's mercantilist-style policies stopped bringing in silver and opium became the point of contention used to try to restore things.
>>
>>2350937
I really hate their stupid goatees. They mock our comparative hairiness and then spend 40 years cultivating a wispy bumfluff beard. Sad!
>>
>>2350720
I'm not British but why? Are you Asian American or overseas Chinese?

Asian Americans are not considered real Americans. They are known to be spies and a fifth column.
>>
>>2350898
>they had already been consuming it for hundreds of years
Of course it was "known." But like you mention it was actually a very rare luxury only the nobility had access to. It probably wasn't well known to commoners.

>No one made Chinese slaves to their opium addiction other than themselves.
It's true, but OP has a point in the bad economic and political circumstances of the early 19th century encouraged the use of opium. For this the Qing government's incompetence is to blame, but you can also argue that they did not know how to tackle a convergence of factors in the nineteenth century such as a gender imbalance (a fuel for a lot of rebellions), population pressure, natural disasters and poor harvests along with environmental problems caused by the introduction of peanuts and potatoes into once uncultivatable hillsides, which accelerated soil erosion, you also have the huge problem of the Grand Canal silting up, court corruption and in the wider world the accelerating textile (and industrial) revolution propelling Britain to world status. So in some sense the British cannot be faulted for bringing opium first. Late Qing society was stagnant af, so if not the British, then some other European power or some enterprising Chinese person would see the huge market for opium. Had the British, for example, been able to get the Chinese to buy Sheffield cuttllery en mass, then it would have been just as good to them. It was just an unhappy coincidence that the one commodity that could correct the trade imbalance was opium.
>>
>>2351037
It's funny we do not consider them real Asians either and are as screwed up as any american
>"Excuse me! As an Asian-American, I am offende blablablablabla"
Typical American whinebaby like all of you are.
>>
>>2351044
Nope. Whites are irreverent people. That's why comedy and satire were literally invented by whites.

Chinese are perennially butthurt. If you are Chinese you know how chinks are always whining about how they're being qifu'd by foreigners.

Go back to dynasty warriors and make some offering to ho chi minh. Destroy Buddhism.
>>
>>2351061
>Whites are irreverent people
>Chinese are perennially butthurt.

Meanwhile, here you are being butthurt for British people. What a cuck.
>>
>>2350730
The canton system applied to everyone. And when they closed canton, it was closed to everyone.
>>
File: i can now die as a happy man.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
i can now die as a happy man.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
>>2350720
>tfw you will get to see anglos to be bred out and replace by a mongrel race of pakis and niggers
>>
>>2351073
I'm smart. I know that chinks do not distinguish between different groups of Europeans. Back when the ICJ ruled on the SCS dispute chinks were accosting even random slavs and people from the balkans on public transport in Beijing and shanghai. I'll defend brits because they're closer to.me than you are and your tribe would as soon see us all dead.
>>
>>2351073
It is an objective fact lad, the Chinese won't even allow their own citizens to google search ideas that are contrary to the values of the CCP. Add that to the CCP's spergs when the Dalai Lama meets a world leader and the fact that they threatened to boycott the Olympics if Taiwan played under their name and flag, it reinforces an irrefutable conclusion.
>>
>>2351096

This. Chinese are the only people on earth where the more you spend time with them in person, the more you hate them. After spending time in Oman I actually grew to like a lot of Arabs and have more respect for them for example. But among mainland Chinese it's just incrementally increasing levels of antipathy
>>
>>2351226
>After spending time in Oman I actually grew to like a lot of Arabs
Spoken like a Britcuck.
>>
>>2351238
All white people hate chinks. Not just brits.
>>
>>2351037
Because the anglos have shitted in the pot of everyone from the safety of their stupid island. Name one instance where the anglo wasn't the bad guy.
>>
>>2351096
>asian arr rook same
>but those evil chinks when they treat westerners like that its wrong!
>>
>>2351475
Chinks do all look the same though
Straight black hair and black eyes.

I mean I'm Malay and even I admit that.
>>
>>2349255
>>2349346
>>2349397
Best chortle I've had all week. Thanks OP.
>>
>>2351226
To be fair, the Omanis are the sanest of all arabs.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.