[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rastafari

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (5KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 300x199px
We all know about those who treat the Rastafari movement as nothing more than a dank meme, but what exactly is the Rastafari movement? Is it an Afrocentric interpretation of Christianity? Is it Haile Selassie's foreign cult of personality? Or is it something else entirely?
>>
>>2348629
Probably a combination of the two, and it's fucking retarded.
>>
>>2348629
Selassie himself denied being the reborn saviour, thus he is not at fault for the cult. He was just seen as fulfillment of Garvey's "prophecy". I view it as a black emancipation movement based on christianity with added african elements like the Kebra Negast. Rastafarianism is a very small religion anyway with ~1% of the Jamaican population as a following.
>>
>>2348738
>Rastafarianism is a very small religion anyway with ~1% of the Jamaican population as a following.
Like Jews they're over represented.
>>
>>2348742
I prefer Reggae over Klezmer desu
>>
>>2348738
There are far more Jehovah's Witnesses than Rastas in Jamaica.
>>
>>2348758
too bad only 144k of them will enter heaven. Even on Jamaica there are more Jehova's Witnesses than Rastas (2% of the population).
>>
>>2348629

In Jamaica, the rastafarians are literally bums who live on trash heaps and are the absolute bottom of society.
>>
>>2348772
b-b-but muh weed lmao
>>
>>2348758
Well that explains my step grandmother.
>>
>>2348771
>too bad only 144k of them will enter heaven

The rest will live on a paradise on Earth according to the religion

t. ex-JW
>>
>>2348803
Grats for leaving that sect and thanks for that clarification.
>>
>>2348772
>implying there is someone in Jamaica who isn't the absolute bottom of society
>>
>>2348837
rude
>>
>>2348629
>Is it an Afrocentric interpretation of Christianity?
No, they have some christian elements but they are neither many nor are they that important. Mostly jewish stuff.

> Is it Haile Selassie's foreign cult of personality?
Yes, with the irony that he was a very devout christian, told them to stop and even built two coptic churches in Jamaica to make them stop
>>
>>2348629
An interesting thing about Rastas is that they have developed a jargon of Jamaican Patois that removes and modifies words and syllables that have negative connotations and change them to positive ones.
>>
>>2348931
While Protestantism is he most "modern jewry" form of Christianity, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church is the most "ancient Jewry" form of Christianity.
>>
>>2349141
And rastafari is not derived from the ethiopian church but their own misinterpretation of the OT
>>
>>2348629
>Haile Selassie
Are you referring to King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, and Root of David, Jah Rastafari?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.