[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if people back then thought tomatoes would kill you then why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: tomatoes.jpg (740KB, 1000x769px) Image search: [Google]
tomatoes.jpg
740KB, 1000x769px
if people back then thought tomatoes would kill you then why did they grow them

and also don't you think somebody would have manned up and realizes tomatoes are safe to eat

i feel like maybe back then "tomatoes will kill you" was a medieval meme not meant to be taken seriously but historians don't think people back then had a sense of humor
>>
I have literally never heard of whatever it is you're talking about

Post someone who talks about this "dangerous tomato" thing
>>
Tomatoes have trace amounts of cyanide.
>>
>>2346640

Tomatoes aren't native to Europe, when they were first brought back over from the new world people were afraid to eat them
>>
>>2346640
Not OP, I've heard it as well. Can't be arsed to go look for a sauce.

(GET IT??? TOMOTO... SAUCE...)
>>
>>2346586
It's because cutlery and plates were often made of lead in the 16th/17th century because it was an easy metal to shape.

Tomatoes are basically water and soak up all of the delicious lead poison.

This is why people threw tomatoes at bad actors/any actors if it was funny and they were on stage; they wanted them to die of lead poisoning.
>>
>>2346821
incorrect

they have trace amounts of solanine like their potato cousins
>>
>medieval
Tomatoes are new world plants. Europeans did not know of their existence until they colonized the Americas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato#History
>>
>>2347296
No, git gassed
>>2347309
This anon gets it.

Tomatoes are in the solanaceae family of plants, which contain the following common plants: tomatoes, potatoes, peppers (bell peppers and smaller hot chillies) tomatillos, cape gooseberries, various species of nightshade, and tobacco.

Many of these plants contain some toxic alkaloids, usually tropane derived alkaloids. In potatoes its confined to the fruit and leaves, in tomatoes the leaves are slightly toxic but not the fruit. Nightshade can have very toxic leaves or leaves mild enough to use as a potherb (common in southern africa). The unripe berries are very toxic, while the ripe ones are delicious. Tobacco doesn't contain tropane alkaloids but is also mildly toxic.

The point is that many of these plants have toxic bits and a toxic bit on one might not be toxic on another (tomato fruit vs potato fruit, the look very similar but a potato's fruit will kill you), so people likely just erred on the side of caution, just like people today don't go munching berries off the shrubbery, even though in a few cases its perfectly safe
>>
>>2346640
I can't remember where I heard it but supposedly rich people of the past ate off of silver plates and the tomatoes would absorb the silver and poison you. Or something. So they thought tomatoes themselves were poisonous.
>>
>>2347449
Literally the last three posts point out the fact that it was actually because the plant is from the nightshade family and yet you continue to post debunked ignorance.
>>
>>2346586
Nobles and rich shits literally grew tomatoes because they looked nice.
>>
>>2346586
>>2346640

In the region of Strumica, Macedonia they are called Frenki, because it was the French in ww1 who tauht them it was safe to eat them when they were red. That was after 1914, so go figure.
>>
>>2347449
>organic acid
>dissolving silver

Lrn2chemistry, faggot.
>>
>>2347398
As a legitimate and real wob I can confirm you are too retarded to live. It was the cooking wear you moron.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/why-the-tomato-was-feared-in-europe-for-more-than-200-years-863735/

No one ever posts a source on their shit tier statements. Go back and rub dog shit in your eyes to cure blindness.
>>
>>2348435
Man, why the fuck is it so difficult to find examples of lead plates?

>google lead plates
>get blocks of lead
>google lead serving tray
>get blocks of lead
>google "lead plates china"
>get glass plates

What the fuck? Is this a conspiracy?
>>
>>2348435
>No one ever posts a source on their shit tier statements.
Neither does that article you're citing, which is essentially a pop-science op-ed and doesn't have the academic weight you probably think it does. There's really nothing in that article that makes a convincing case that people ate off of toxic tableware for hundreds of years, not even examples of those plates. It's just making the same claim you're making, and also no backing it up.
>>
>>2348435
>muh toxic plates
You are a retard.
>>
Never heard of this. In my country we actually call tomatoes literally "Apple of Eden"
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.