[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lee Kuan Yew

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3908.jpg (108KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3908.jpg
108KB, 960x960px
Was he the best statesman of the 20th century? The results surely suggest so
>>
>>2345881
that's not Saddam
>>
>>2345881
that's not Mugabe.
>>
That's not Deng
>>
That's not Merkel
>>
File: pinochet.jpg (104KB, 480x877px) Image search: [Google]
pinochet.jpg
104KB, 480x877px
That's not Pinochet.

It's easy to make a decent country out of Asians, it's harder with mestizos.
>>
Churchill was better.
>>
>>2345881
Eh...probably not. There's a quote from Deng Xiaoping about he was quite impressed by Singapore and the prospect for harnessing capitalism to advance Chinese civilization. He said something like "Lee would have made a good Mayor for a city like Shanghai". Inexact and perhaps apocryphal but the assessment has merit.
>>
File: reagan-ftr.jpg (188KB, 1240x775px) Image search: [Google]
reagan-ftr.jpg
188KB, 1240x775px
>>2345881
That's not Reagan.
>>
>>2345881
City-states are not a real state.
>>
That depends on his leftist kill count
Bonus points for free helicopter rides
>>
>>2345970
If you seriously think this, you are retarded.
>>
>>2347074
OP asked for the best statesman, not the most overrated
>>
>>2345881
Hm?
>>
The challenges faced by a city-state are hardly comparable to those faced by a world hegemon. While Yew's work in Singapore is almost beyond reproach I don't think he can rightly be compared to a Roosevelt or even a Stalin
>>
He had an easier job.
>>
>>2347371
>>2349009
>>2347079
Always the same excuse.
Not only is there no argument, even from a purely empirical view it doesn't hold. There are many small countries less populated than Singapore that are complete shitholes.
>>
>>2349030
>hurr hurr why cant world leaders of massive countries be as good as a glorified mayor
>mommy i make poopy pls wipy bum bum!
>>
File: argumentation.jpg (37KB, 325x481px) Image search: [Google]
argumentation.jpg
37KB, 325x481px
>>2349047
Still no argument in sight.
Were Pericles and Paulus Aemilius glorified mayors too? The second being a glorified half mayor apparently.
England for most of history was less populated than Singapore under Lee. Mere surface area was perhaps a valid excuse at the time of Alexander, but a non argument in an era of fast transportation and communication.
>>
>>2349089
>i compare modern rulers with ancient ones look at me
>wah wah why isnt my chicky nuggies dino shapedd i want dinos now!!!
>>
>>2347356
Wouldn't count Göring as statesman
>>
>>2349119
>wah wah i refuse to use historical record because it cant sustain my horrendously stupid political views
>>
Ataturk was playing on the hardest difficulty level.

I mean, him and Kagame.
>>
>>2349661
Population density lends to more centralized political authority. It's easier to manage 10k people in the area of a city than 5k people in the breadth of a state.
>>
>>2349182
Are you memeing?
>>
Gaddafi was impressive
>>
>>2347329
>most overrated
>not FDR
>>
>>2345881

Singaporean here, and I would absolutely say yes.

"The challenges faced by a city-state are hardly comparable to those faced by a world hegemon."

A city-state has less insurance compared to other full on countries, there is less of a margin for error, so it's definitely harder. Not to mention the situation in Singapore wasn't easy either. To the north and south were two Islamic nations that expressed interest in annexing Singapore. Communist uprisings also spread from those regions into Singapore.

"Population density lends to more centralized political authority. It's easier to manage 10k people in the area of a city than 5k people in the breadth of a state."

It's not always a straight 'win' situation. In the case where you're forced to have a high population density because your island is about 740 km^2. it also means that you have no natural water, no natural resources and other commodities that most other nations with large land expanses have. For many nations, they would rather have a large land expanse than the 'benefit' of high population density (which comes with other drawbacks like needing good sanitation, transportation, etc.)
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.