[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

His entire philosophy is based on his own arrogance. Prove me wrong.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: plato.jpg (245KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
245KB, 800x1000px
His entire philosophy is based on his own arrogance.

Prove me wrong.
>>
Why?
>>
>>2325454
Maybe
>>
>>2325463
He was very elitist

If he lived today, he would call himself 'redpilled' and look down on other people
>>
I can't prove you wrong because you're right. Seriously this guy is so arrogant that his "dialogues" were just one guy parroting his actual beliefs and the other guy saying "yes you are correct socrates wow you are so smart"
>>
Name one instance where the rational human mind was in opposition to empirical reality.

Pro-tip: you can't. Quantum physics has already proven that only consciousness exists . There is no independent physical reality outside the human mind.
>>
>>2325474
>KWANTUM FEEESIKS

getting sick of people abusing this meme
>>
>>2325481
>Fedora's mad that highly intelligent, highly religious men have BTFO of his ideal of a closed-circuit, mechanical universe
Grow up already.
>>
>>2325495
>I was just pretending to be retarded XD

you don't even have an opinion
>>
>>2325474
>Quantum physics has already proven that only consciousness exists
I literally want to murder you.
>>
>>2325496
For someone who forwarded no information or rebuttal, you got the exact response you deserved.

Again, grow up.
>>
>>2325503
>I'm really baiting him guys! On the hook!

nah I'm just yawning at you.
>>
>>2325503
A rebuttal to what? Do you think "Quantum physics has already proven that only consciousness exists" is a coherent statement that can in any way, shape or form be reasonably counter-argued? It *is* vacuous, incoherent memebabble. There's nothing to refute, because it doesn't make any sensible claims. Fuck you.
>>
>>2325473
>implying that wasn't the standard of the day

Do I have to explain to you how ancient people should not be pigeonholed in anachronistic modern practices and beliefs again, /his/?
>>
>>2325516
Well, if you had the slightest understanding of quantum physics, you'd know that mere human observation of subatomic interactions can influence the result.

That's a huge bombshell, exploding the babyish, mechanical understanding of the universe.
>>
>>2325556
>mere human observation of subatomic interactions can influence the result
... and therefore...
>Quantum physics has proven that only consciousness exists

Flawless logic according to quantumbabblefags.
>>
>>2325575
If physical reality existed outside of conscious thought, the observation of subatomic interactions wouldn't change their results.

Yes, it is flawless. Thank you.
>>
Most people react the same way when they read Plato.
>I wud be a philosopher king under his system so its pretty cool innit
His writings speak to our inner ego in a way few other ancient historians do. That's why his dumb fantasies survive the ages.
>>
>>2325605
not the guy you're responding to, but i think you're misinterpreting the uncertainty principle. it has to do with the statistical properties of the wave function, as opposed to any salient connection with human cognition. i may be wrong though
>>
>>2325612
But this is the same with communism. Nobody imagines that they would be a nameless cog in the machine. They always imagine themselves as part of the intellectual and ruling elites.
>>
>>2325663
Absolutely correct. My professor actually made a specific point about how Marxism is inspired by Plato, there are similarities and parallels.
>>
>>2325454
Isn't all we "know" about Socrates taken from what Plato said? For all we know this is just post-mortem dick sucking from his pet student
>>
>>2325605
>If physical reality existed outside of conscious thought, the observation of subatomic interactions wouldn't change their results.
How the fuck is this the one necessary conclusion? It would follow just as logically that physical reality does exist, but that we can bend it on a subatomic level. You can contrive countless "conclusions" like that.

>Yes, it is flawless. Thank you.
No, it isn't. It's your retarded headcanon.
>>
>>2325652
>i may be wrong though
You're not.
>>
How to discuss philosophy on /his/
>read the wikipedia summary of a philosophers ideas
>use the most elaborate synonyms when posting because intellectuals use big words
>>
>>2325468
>He was very elitist
Based on your posts, you are too. I guess it's okay when you do it.
>If he lived today, he would call himself 'redpilled'
Random conjecture
>and look down on other people
Like 99% of the human race?
>>
>>2325605
The word observation in this context doesn't mean what you think it does.
>>
P
M
U
P M U B U M P
U
M
P
>>
File: 1485434094919.png (359KB, 505x656px) Image search: [Google]
1485434094919.png
359KB, 505x656px
>>2325605

Co-relation =/= Causation, friendo.
>>
>>2325663

>ruling
>elites

>In political and social sciences, communism [...] and the absence of SOCIAL CLASSES, money,[3][4] and the state.[5][6]
>>
File: 1486435692738.jpg (180KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486435692738.jpg
180KB, 640x720px
>>2325468
>He was very elitist
He was Greek. Their entire national history was thinking everyone except them was a subhuman.

They didn't even like other Greeks much, and if you were Greek but not Greek enough, you were still a Barbarian.

He wasn't just Greek, he was a Greek noble. Do you know what Aristos means? It means Best.
>>
>>2328331
How's 8th grade going?
>>
>>2328649
>"No one imagines[...]ruling elites."
>">In political and social sciences, communism [...] and the absence of SOCIAL CLASSES, money,[3][4] and the state.[5][6]"
>"How's 8th grade going?"
You tell me.
>>
>>2325663
This is true about every ideology.
>>
>>2329019
>Be me
>Traditionalist
> Have no qualms about being a peasant farmer in a feudal society
Guess i'm a minority.
>>
>>2325474
>quantum physics
Science is irrelevant.
>>
OP is a nigger.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>2329059
OP is just a particular that represents the universal Ideal Nigger in the realm of Forms.
>>
File: 43653456345.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
43653456345.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
>>2325454
Not Arrogance, but Jealousy.

"With Socrates, Greek taste changes in favor of logical argument. What really happened there? Above all, a noble taste is vanquished; with dialectics the plebs come to the top. Before Socrates, argumentative conversation was repudiated in good society: it was considered bad manners, compromising. The young were warned against it. Furthermore, any presentation of one's motives was distrusted. Honest things, like honest men, do not have to explain themselves so openly. What must first be proved is worth little. Wherever authority still forms part of good bearing, where one does not give reasons but commands, the logician is a kind of buffoon: one laughs at him, one does not take him seriously. Socrates was the buffoon who got himself taken seriously: what really happened there?"

"One chooses logical argument only when one has no other means. One knows that one arouses mistrust with it, that it is not very persuasive. Nothing is easier to nullify than a logical argument: the tedium of long speeches proves this. It is a kind of self-defense for those who no longer have other weapons. Unless one has to insist on what is already one's right, there is no use for it. The Jews were argumentative for that reason; Reynard the Fox also — and Socrates too?"

"Is the irony of Socrates an expression of revolt? Of plebeian ressentiment? Does he, as one oppressed, enjoy his own ferocity in the knife thrusts of his argument? Does he avenge himself on the noble audience he fascinates? As a dialectician, he holds a merciless tool in his hand; he can become a tyrant by means of it; he compromises those he conquers. The dialectician leaves it to his opponent to prove that he is not an idiot: he enrages and neutralizes his opponent at the same time. The dialectician renders the intellect of his opponent powerless. Indeed, in Socrates, is dialectic only a form of revenge?"
-Twilight of the Idols
>>
>>2329103
Related Vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgpzQ-iK02g
>>
File: diogenes_web.jpg (46KB, 600x396px) Image search: [Google]
diogenes_web.jpg
46KB, 600x396px
>>2325454
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.